Ken Hamlin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by defensiveback23 View Post
    I didn't think we were that low. I'm sure if we really wanted somebody we could pull some strings to get him.
    Oh I'm sure we could sign him if we wanted. But I don't see it happening unless you feel like going into cap hell again.
    Someone from the official chargers website has done a better job than me of explaining why we won't be going after big names like Hamlin, or even Grant (who I want).

Thunderstruck:
    One of the reasons we're inactive in free agency is because we just don't have that much money left under the cap. Back on March 3rd we were at around $12.2 million under the cap. Since then we've signed Dielman, Withrow, and Floyd. That's another $8 million at least.

Everyone remembers that we were supposed to be over $20 million under the cap this offseason. And then everyone forgets about all the players we've signed. We've signed 14 players since the offseason began, including sizeable contracts to Dielman and Phillips and a high tender of $2.3 million to Michael Turner. (I think a lot of people are under the mistaken impression that Shaun Phillips contract is $17 million for 6 years. That's wrong. $17 million is what he's guaranteed. His contract is more likely pays him $4.5 to $5 million per year under the cap.)

The money goes quickly when you move quickly to retain players.

I would be surprised if we're more than $5 or (at the most) $6 million under the cap right now, and we know that AJ likes to keep $2 or $3 million available in case we need to acquire a player in an emergency, like when we got McCardell to replace Caldwell in '04.

We may be able to unload Turner's $2.3 million if we trade him. But beyond that we're pretty tight on money now. This is why I laugh when people say we've "done nothing" this offseason. That's wrong. We've signed a whole bunch of guys. We just aren't spending the money on other teams' guys.
    Also, the league has reduced our salary cap number. While the salary cap is increasing to $109 million this year, our salary cap is less than $107 million.

We had a player or two earn some "unlikely to be earned incentives," money that was not accounted for under last year's cap but the player earned as incentives, and when that happens the number is deducted from the team's next-years salary cap availability. Our salary cap is $106.7 million for 2007, not $109 million.

Yes, I think our available money has become very lean indeed.
    Last edited by Xenos; 03-08-2007, 01:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gbpackers0065 View Post
      in the event hamlin signs withthe pack collins would move back to his natural position of SS
      I doubt it. Remember, Hamlin is more of a run stopping in the box type safety, whereas Collins is athletic enough that many teams scouted him as a possible CB.
      Originally posted by njx9
      i invite all of you to spam the board with moronic topics that aren't even vaguely entertaining. please.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaucer View Post
        man, im suprised this guy hasnt signed yet, one fo the top safteys in the league, usually the top players go quick. i see him back in seattle, but im intrigued abt the DB coach in arizona.
        'zona just signed terrance holt. i doubt they'd go after hamlin too.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6548246

Originally posted by Morgan Freeman
        Titty sprinkles

Comment

Adrian Wilson and Ken Hamlin would be pimp.

Comment

come on Patriots show something for Hamlin

he aint the Hammer for nothin

Comment

I'm still hoping that the Saints sign him.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
              WHO DAT!

Comment

Originally posted by remix 6 View Post
                come on Patriots show something for Hamlin

he aint the Hammer for nothin
                Seriously. He would be perfect, either he or Rodney could got to FS and let Eugene Wilson move to CB, with James Sanders spelling both of them...

Comment

Originally posted by diabsoule View Post
                  Me too, but it's looking pretty bleak now.
                  The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

Comment

Originally posted by Splat420 View Post
                    Adrian Wilson and Ken Hamlin would be pimp.
                    I agree but the Terrence Holt signing makes that pretty much impossible now.

Designs by D-Unit

ILEMTPKC - I Love Eli Manning <The Patriots Killer> Club

Comment

hes definatley a nasty guy

-he wears 26(best double digit #)
                      -wears a face shield
                      -hes ripped

Comment

Didnt the saints draft two young safeties the past few years? Bullocks and Harper.

Comment

Originally posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
                          Didnt the saints draft two young safeties the past few years? Bullocks and Harper.
                          Yeah but Harper tore his ACL, and we need insurance in case his recovery get's side tracked.

Bullocks has talent but he played poorly at times last season.

So depth at safety is a big need because our backup safeties are FA's and are pretty much gone.

Regardless I don't think the Saints will sign Hamlin, after the Deon Grant deal he's probably looking to land a huge contract. I think we'll sign Kaesviharn..who's more of a mid level FA.

Comment

Originally posted by Auron View Post
                            Yeah but Harper tore his ACL, and we need insurance in case his recovery get's side tracked.

Bullocks has talent but he played poorly at times last season.

So depth at safety is a big need because our backup safeties are FA's and are pretty much gone.

Regardless I don't think the Saints will sign Hamlin, after the Deon Grant deal he's probably looking to land a huge contract. I think we'll sign Kaesviharn..who's more of a mid level FA.
                            I agree but I think Hamlin would've been an upgrade over Harper, who I wasn't wild about to begin with when we reached for him in the draft last year.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
                            WHO DAT!

Comment

I agree but I think Hamlin would've been an upgrade over Harper, who I wasn't wild about to begin with when we reached for him in the draft last year.
                              True, however I don't think we'll know the true potential of Harper unless he comes back healthy and plays significantly this season.

I can't pass judgment on him yet, because he's played so little so far. He struggled in the first game of the season, but got progressively better in each game until the injury, even making some big plays.

Don't want to sidetrack this thread into a Saints discussion though...

On another note. There's a rumor going around that the reason Hamlin hasn't been signed yet is because he has an injury of some sort, and teams are waiting until medical reports clear him.

Don't know what to take of that...

Comment

The jury is still out on Harper. I wasn't wild about the selection of him either, but after being burned by Kellen Winslow II in Week 1 he showed some vast improvement. Reminded me a lot of what Donte Whitner (whom people said Buffalo reached for as well) was doing for the Bills at the time -- I really like Harper now and I hope he fully recovers from his injury. I think he has the talent to be a very important cog in our defense for years to come.

/end Saints' discussion
                                The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information