No announcement yet.

Most overrated teams going into the season

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll go with the Colts......They have lost alot and Manning cannot compensate for coaching....

Comment

How come every year the Cowboys are marked as an overrated team? They haven't done jack in over 12 years. None of the national pundits are hyping them up. Yet, still... many people are calling them overated. I don't know who overrates them really. Not even people who make our 2010 mock drafts have them winning much. One guy even has us passing on Taylor Mays. hahaha.

Comment

Originally posted by MidwayMonster31 View Post
        Last year, I would've said Dallas, but not this year. They got rid of TO to make this team more Romo-friendly, which could end badly with their pass protection. They also lost Chris Canty and replaced him with Igor Olshansky. I would not be surprised at all if they finished last in the division.
        I am going to go with the Eagles as overrated. Hopefully the chemotherapy goes well for Jim Johnson. McDermott probably won't be able to call the plays as effectively. Sean Jones is a talent upgrade, but I don't see him commanding the defense the way Dawkins did.
        For the offense, Jason Peters will not get it done after getting paid. Westbrook is hurt, but I think McCoy can carry the load if he has to. DeSean Jackson will improve, but I doubt that Maclin does much this year as a receiver, but he should do well as a return man. I don't think Philly will do as well as people think they will.
        Great points on the Eagles......They will be in a dogfight with the G-men for top spot......Dallas has too much talent to end up 4th in the division.....Skins are another year older and not alot of young talent on the team.

Comment

New Orleans is being overrated imo.

Comment

Originally posted by ricowboy View Post
            Great points on the Eagles......They will be in a dogfight with the G-men for top spot......Dallas has too much talent to end up 4th in the division.....Skins are another year older and not alot of young talent on the team.
            I don't think Philly will win the division, but I do think they will go the furthest in the playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by princefielder28 View Post
              Where is their defense improved? Please share Einstein, I want to hear what you have to say.
              Compared to u I guess I am Einstein, so I will share the facts with you.

1) Exit Roy Williams. Enter Sensabaugh. No need to explain. Please dear God don't say this needs an explanation.

2) Exit Anthony Henry. This was another huge whole in the secondary. He was physical but much too slow and took too many risks on short patterns. Easily beat by any double move or by anybody with a hint of speed. Enter a year older, more experienced Scandrick or Jenkins. Scandrick is a very solid NFL corner with a chance to be a stud. He needs to be out on the field more. Jenkins didn't have as good of a rookie season as Scandrick, but not many rookie cornerbacks did. Jenkins showed flashes, which is what you expect from a rookie, so now give him the chance to play. There's no way in hell that after another training camp and with the experience he got last year that he will perform worse than Henry. Newman, Scandrick, Jenkins over Newman, Henry, Jenkins any day.

3) Exit Chris Canty. Enter Igor Olshansky. Let's call a spade a spade. Canty is SOLID but no where near deserving of the money for which he was asking. In a vacuum would I rather have Canty over Igor? Probably...but in this situation not really. They're a wash and if you consider the salary part of it, I'd much rather have Igor. Neither has much responsibility or is asked to put up big numbers in Wade's system. Granted, I think Canty will be much more valuable for the Giants than he was for the Giants, b/c they're going to move him around and have him on the inside but for the Cowboys, he was expendable. I'm not going to argue for one second that Igor is an upgrade over Canty head up but when you consider all the improves the team has made, losing Canty will mean absolutely nothing.

4) Exit Zach Thomas. Enter Keith Brooking. Brooking, much like Igor, is comfortable in Wade's system and has had success in it before. He's bigger and younger than Thomas and I believe he has more left in the tank as well. I will not lie and say he will be a major upgrade over Thomas but he is an upgrade, nonetheless.

5) Exit Greg Ellis. Enter Anthony Spencer. Ellis is what he is and the team wanted to be younger and more athletic on defense. Spencer hasn't been a world beater but he hasn't exactly busted either. Keep in mind, that it's impossible to judge someone by what they do in limited time. He, much like Henry, is not doing anything spectacular for the team and really is only blocking the young talent from getting a chance to contribute.

6) Exit Brian Stewart. Enter Wade Phillips. Everybody saw how much the defense improved last year when Wade took over all the playcalling duties on defense. I'm excited to see what he can do this year with his mind/scheme and a younger, more athletic Cowboys defense. Him calling the shots from day one is a HUGE upgrade.

The only area where I see the team making a bad move on defense recently is letting Burnett go but there was nothing they really could do about that. This edition of the Cowboys defense will be the strongest they've had in quite some time.
              When you reach the upper level, your mind body and soul must be one.

Comment

The Cowboys will yet again take a back seat in the division to the Eagles and Giants. Are they improved? Yeah, maybe, but at the end of the day Tony Romo will fade come December as usual.

Seriously though I believe they are improved (addition by subtraction), but I still don't feel it's enough to get deep into the playoffs. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they got in as a wild card, but I just can't see them getting out of the second round.
                Last edited by Todd Bertuzzi; 07-23-2009, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Thanks for writing a detailed response but I fail to see where they VASTLY improved. At the very best the defense is equally as talented but I think Cowboys' fans will become disgruntled by Igor for his lack of drive after getting paid but we'll see. Turning the youth may work for the first half of the year but how will they respond to a full season, getting the majority of the reps? The offense has more problems too and that's actually the unit that worries me more, not the defense.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

I'm not a huge fan of the Ravens this season. They lost a lot, but had players that can step in. I'm just not sure those players can play like the players that left. Rex Ryan is also a top 3 DC in the NFL.

Patriots are being SOO overrated. Its really annoying. People expect Tom Brady to comeback from his torn ACL like nothing happened, but I believe its going to effect his play next season.

Comment

I would say the Miami Dolphins. I really don't see them as a playoff contender this year. Last year, they had a great season but a lot of their games were close and could have gone either way. They had ridiculously few turnovers last year and that will be tough to repeat. Also, they played the AFC and NFC West last year which were the two worst divisions in football. This year they play the AFC and NFC South, arguably the two best divisions. They were able to take advantage of a lot of teams last year with the Wildcat but I don't think it will be quite as successful even with Pat White. Usually teams that are bad then have a big rise tend to even back out somewhere in the middle. I see them winning 6-7 games.

Comment

Originally posted by princefielder28 View Post
                        Thanks for writing a detailed response but I fail to see where they VASTLY improved. At the very best the defense is equally as talented but I think Cowboys' fans will become disgruntled by Igor for his lack of drive after getting paid but we'll see. Turning the youth may work for the first half of the year but how will they respond to a full season, getting the majority of the reps? The offense has more problems too and that's actually the unit that worries me more, not the defense.

Fair enough. I can totally accept that line of thought. It probably would be better if I said they'll be no worse than last year with a chance to be vastly improved. There's much more upside to this defense.

I have to disagree with you on the offense, as well. I'll take a healthy Kosier, Felix, RW and more experienced Bennett and Choice over last year's unit. The only thing they lost is T.O. and he's a shell of his former self. Easily one of the top 10 most overrated players in the league. My biggest concern with the O is the o-line's age. If they can stay healthy, this year's offense will be dangerous.
                        When you reach the upper level, your mind body and soul must be one.

Comment

Originally posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
                          the whole NFC South besides the Saints
                          The saints on this board are being given more props than any other team in the south and unjustifiably so. They've been expected to fire for a while now since their NFCCG appearance and are yet to do so.

There's no reason to expect Carolina or Atlanta to fall off. The Saints are still third in the division and Carolina and Atlanta are still two of the top teams in the NFC.

Comment

IMO

1. Indy Colts
                            2. Philly Eagles (I'm guilty too)
                            3. NO Saints
                            4. Miami Dolphins

I can't see how the Cowboys are over rated most people at least in the forums anyway I haven't seen anyone even giving them a wild card.
                            Stafford Sig by touchdownrams the rest of the sig by Sig Master Bone Krusher Avy by King of all avys renji

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Originally posted by njx9
                            oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.

Comment

Originally posted by diabsoule View Post
                              The Giants did fine last year without Plax
                              They did? 3-4 in the last seven games, including the playoffs. Some of the notables include 14 points against Philly at home, 8 against Dallas on the road, and 11 at home against Philly in the playoffs. They averaged 20.8 ppg in that time frame. They averaged 29.2 ppg before that.

and they drafted Ward's replacement in Andre Brown, plus they have another RB in Danny Ware that their expecting good things from.
                              The running game's not the issue. The passing game is. Andre Brown and Danny Ware don't play WR. The passing game went down the crapper after Burress' incident.

Not only that but they added some significant pieces to their defense and Kenny Phillips will have a year of NFL experience under his belt.
                              Defense wasn't the problem either.

I'm not sold on the Giants. Yes, they can run the ball and play defense, but you do have to pass it occasionally. Show me who their #1 WR is. In that offense, you need one. They don't have it.

Comment

Originally posted by TACKLE View Post
                                I would say the Miami Dolphins. I really don't see them as a playoff contender this year. Last year, they had a great season but a lot of their games were close and could have gone either way. They had ridiculously few turnovers last year and that will be tough to repeat. Also, they played the AFC and NFC West last year which were the two worst divisions in football. This year they play the AFC and NFC South, arguably the two best divisions. They were able to take advantage of a lot of teams last year with the Wildcat but I don't think it will be quite as successful even with Pat White. Usually teams that are bad then have a big rise tend to even back out somewhere in the middle. I see them winning 6-7 games.
                                The natural order of things will be back in the AFC East this year. Pats will be way up, and no other team breaking .500

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information