• Time
  • Show
Clear All

At least you have a high pick to look forward to next year.....oh wait

Comment

Start Hillis. Success will follow.

Comment

Originally posted by Go_Eagles77 View Post
        Or demand to get traded back to the eagles. :)
        I like that idea as well, I don't like the Eagles at all but I've always been a fan of Dawkins.

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
          Give it some time. Moreno will be fine if he misses the first 2 or 3 days. Interesting choice of #27 as his jersey number.

Btw the young cornerback who most caught my eye last season? Probably Andre Goodman of the Miami Dolphins, who the Broncos signed in the offseason. Keep an eye on him.

I was kind of saving this for something, but I guess I'll post this here:

Everyone thinks the trade for Alphonso Smith is so terrible. I don't think it necessarily is, actually. Maybe even genius? They traded what is probably a Top 10, if not really a Top 5 (or 3?) pick in the 2010 Draft for a second round pick in Alphonso Smith.

They acquired a 1st round talent (imo) and saved $30-50 million in doing it.

Let's say for the sake of example that the Broncos have the 5th overall pick next year.
          2007 5th overall Levi Brown: 6 years, base value $37.47M, max value $61.95M, guaranteed $18.05M.
          2008 5th overall Glenn Dorsey: 5 years, base $33M, max $55.5M, guaranteed $22.5M.
          2009 5th overall Marc Sanchez: 5 years, base $44.5M, likely $50.5M, max $60M, guaranteed $28M.
          and then compare that to
          2009 37th overall Alphonso Smith: 4 years, $4.08M with $2.15M signing bonus.
          That money saved could go to a Brandon Marshall extension or signing a major impact free agent (like Vince Wilfork!) next summer. The key is spending that money saved though.

Also acquiring Smith and Goodman might perhaps lead to trading Bailey next year, which means additional assets.
          The NFL is all about impact players and Smith lacks both the size and speed to ever be an impact player IMO. He's a nickle back at best.
          The cost of signing rookies is well established in the NFL and has little impact IMO. Using Detroit under Millen is a useless comparison. As long as a team has a shot at an impact player, the cost is negligible. If you think a 2nd rounder passed over by 32 teams in round one in a very weak draft year is going to be a star, you are wrong and way off the mark.
          The odds of a player drafted out of the top 10 becoming a star are actually quite prohibitive. Sure the better GM's have a high success rate because they are talented appraisers of talent but all of those guys passed on Smith which doesn't bode well for his future.
          Denver is indeed looking at challenging Detroit for last place and for a team desperate for real impact players, this trade will prove to be a total disaster.
          And proud of it!!!

Comment

Btw the young cornerback who most caught my eye last season? Probably Andre Goodman of the Miami Dolphins, who the Broncos signed in the offseason. Keep an eye on him.
            Goodman is turning 31 in a few weeks and is average starter at best. :/

That is correct comahan
            I ******* LOVE YOU DG
            <3 dg

Comment

Good lord, nothing good is happening for this organization... They just need a few years, I think we all know this isn't going tpo be a good team next year.

BoneKrusher

Comment

Give it some time. Moreno will be fine if he misses the first 2 or 3 days. Interesting choice of #27 as his jersey number.

Goodman is 30 years old and turns 31 in about 2 weeks. Not exactly somebody I would call young.

Comment

I think the Broncos are more top 10 pick type material than number 1 overall for this year. They still have a solid OL, a top rookie prospect at RB, and some weapons on offense. Don't forget they play in a weak division. I think they finish around 5-11, or 6-10.

Comment

Originally posted by draftguru151 View Post
                    Goodman is turning 31 in a few weeks and is average starter at best. :/
                    Originally posted by kmartin575 View Post
                    Goodman is 30 years old and turns 31 in about 2 weeks. Not exactly somebody I would call young.
                    Wow, noted. He impressed me nonetheless from what I saw of him.
                    Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

as much as i want to bash the broncos for having such a terrible offseason, i won't knock them for this. it happens. they'll be in camp.

its not the end of the world just yet.

a small part of me thinks McDaniels is gonna shove all my laughter in my face, but then i think logically again and remember that its not gonna happen.

Comment

I was kind of saving this for something, but I guess I'll post this here:

Everyone thinks the trade for Alphonso Smith is so terrible. I don't think it necessarily is, actually. Maybe even genius? They traded what is probably a Top 10, if not really a Top 5 (or 3?) pick in the 2010 Draft for a second round pick in Alphonso Smith.

They acquired a 1st round talent (imo) and saved $30-50 million in doing it.

Let's say for the sake of example that the Broncos have the 5th overall pick next year.
                        2007 5th overall Levi Brown: 6 years, base value $37.47M, max value $61.95M, guaranteed $18.05M.
                        2008 5th overall Glenn Dorsey: 5 years, base $33M, max $55.5M, guaranteed $22.5M.
                        2009 5th overall Marc Sanchez: 5 years, base $44.5M, likely $50.5M, max $60M, guaranteed $28M.
                        and then compare that to
                        2009 37th overall Alphonso Smith: 4 years, $4.08M with $2.15M signing bonus.
                        That money saved could go to a Brandon Marshall extension or signing a major impact free agent (like Vince Wilfork!) next summer. The key is spending that money saved though.

Also acquiring Smith and Goodman might perhaps lead to trading Bailey next year, which means additional assets.

Come on Geo, I don't care how you spin it but that was a terrible move, and you said it may actually be genius?

For one, why not trade the Bears pick away? It's like they forget they owned it, maybe it was arrogance that made McDaniels think his team would be better, but the Bears pick looked to be later in the 1st even before Denver started falling apart.

Secondly, Alphonso Smith isn't "top 5 good", he went in the 2nd in a weak draft class, even further if the CB class is as good as say last year for example.

Next year that pick could end up being Sam Bradford, Jevan Sneade, a potential elite player that can change a franchise. Your also leaving out the fact that they just gave Seattle that top 5 pick.

So it's not like they just saved money, they took a player of way lesser talent, and gave another team a top 10 pick and possible top 5 for a player who will probably end up "solid".

Even if you want to look into all that "saving money" stuff, nobody trades away a top 10 pick next year for a pick in the 30's, do you really think they can't get a better corner with that pick next year? It's not like their strapped for cash anyway, they need players, and if Alphonso Smith doesn't turn into a pro bowler it'll look like a huge fail.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                        I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Yep. They could have held onto that pick and taken Eric Berry next year if they really wanted to address the secondary.
                          The Brian Sabean sig is no more. I disagreed with you on so many levels. And then you went out and built a dynasty. I am lame.

Comment

seriously, its not even fair. the Giants have to go through the Eagles, Cowboys and Redskins.

And the damn Chargers can go 7-9 and still win the division. wth man.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                              seriously, its not even fair. the Giants have to go through the Eagles, Cowboys and Redskins.

I would still buy the division champ gear. 4 in a row! 5/6. Anyway the Bolts will get to at least 10 wins on the strength of Merriman's return alone.

I wouldn't freak out over your 1st rounders not being signed Jimmy. It's happening league wide. Sucks to be Alphonso Smith though, very curious to see who that pick ends up being next year.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post

maybe the damn Raiders can do that? :D

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information