Why is there no standard?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is there no standard?

Everytime an NFL player steps out of line, it seems that Goodell and company host a debate about it, and decide what punishment to give to said player.

This is annoying. As far as I'm concerned, Goodell should set a bar, and anybody who goes above it should be given the boot. Simple as that. For example, I think Goodell should just make it clear that anybody who is a convicted felon will be given the permanent boot from the NFL. There'd be no questions asked and no accusations of special treatment to better players, there'd be a standard that if violated, would result in immediate boot from the league. Yet I see no such standard from Goodell, the man of oh so many standards.
    Just play me, baby

is this serious?

Comment

Another thread where people ***** about Goodell, just what we needed.

Comment

Originally posted by superman8456 View Post
        is this serious?
        As serious as you wish it to be.
        Just play me, baby

Comment

Has Goodell ever booted anyone from the league? I don't think so. I believe everyone deserves a second chance and the special treatment is not coming from Goodell, it comes from the teams really: If there is a not so good player who gets arrested nobody is going to want him.

Comment

Originally posted by Xonraider View Post
            Has Goodell ever booted anyone from the league? I don't think so. I believe everyone deserves a second chance and the special treatment is not coming from Goodell, it comes from the teams really: If there is a not so good player who gets arrested nobody is going to want him.
            Pretty much Odell Thurman.
            Credit to BoneKrusher for the Sig
            RIP themaninblack

Comment

I read the thread title and I thought of a Pantera lyric: "Is there no standard anymore? What it takes, who I am, where I've been, belong."

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Brent View Post
                I read the thread title and I thought of a Pantera lyric: "Is there no standard anymore? What it takes, who I am, where I've been, belong."
                Ha, same thing happened with me and a Bronx lyric:

"We rewrote the standard, covered up the old scars so you believe it."

Wish I thought of yours, though. It actually makes sense AND kicks ass. Walk ftw.

Comment

Roger Goodell wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Hitman D

"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." - Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by Boston View Post
                    Roger Goodell wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.
                    yes, but sadly, he pisses on an NFL player's career.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Brent View Post
                      yes, but sadly, he pisses on an NFL player's career.
                      It's a pretty simple game, step out of line, you get whomped, so don't step out of line.

There's probably no standard because mandatory punishments are pointless and unfair to all involved. Would you rather 100% of decisions be unfair because of a ruling or one every now and then due to human error?

Comment

Originally posted by BlindSite View Post
                        It's a pretty simple game, step out of line, you get whomped, so don't step out of line.

There's probably no standard because mandatory punishments are pointless and unfair to all involved. Would you rather 100% of decisions be unfair because of a ruling or one every now and then due to human error?

You just blatantly wrote off all mandatory punishments as pointless and unfair to all involved. How this even makes sense to you, I have no idea.

The point of mandatory punishments is to be fair to everyone involved. If person A get caught doing X, your punishment is Y. That way, if Person B get's caught doing X, their punishment is also Y.

The reason this isn't unfair is because then no one gets special treatment. You don't want one person being punished more or less harshly than another person who pulled of the same crime.

If your problem is that you think all mandatory punishments do not fit the crime, then that's subjective and you're entitled to that opinion. However, I find it very hard to believe that in the history of mandatory punishments there has never been one that fits the crime.

Comment

its like in a real court. Every case is different

Comment

Originally posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
                            its like in a real court. Every case is different
                            Yes, every case is unique. However, past cases do set a standard in U.S. courts.

Comment

Kicking someone out of the league is a very serious deal. These are people that are very highly skilled in one specific job that doesn't translate at all to others.

It takes a whole lot for accountants or lawyers to lose thier license to practice their careers and the same should be true for football players.

And their are very serious reprecuations for continually breaking the law. Teams are much more hesitant to sign those players. You have to be much more skilled to be signed and for significantly less. For the none great players they are essentially kicked out as no one signs them.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information