No announcement yet.

ELI...highest paid?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes the Giants as a team won a Super Bowl but the QB is the most important player on the team. Most Giants fans are happy with it so that's all that really matters. People are going to hate on Eli so I'm used to it.
    #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
      At the time Peyton made the most. Or Vick did, I forget.
      At the time, Peyton was a very good QB. At the present time, Eli is not a very good QB.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
      they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
      Hint:Not the Bears.

Comment

Any QB who is in the top third at their position who signs a contract in the next few years will make more than Peyton. Has nothing to do with Eli and everything to do with the market in the NFL. If you can't grasp that, then I suggest you pull your head out of your own ass.
        Problem is, Eli's not half the QB that Peyton is. Regardless of when the player signed his contract, Eli should never, ever, under any circumstances, be making more money than Peyton. When's the last time Eli truly took over a game without having a great defense and a good running game to fall back on? Any indications that this guy is truly an elite QB went down the shitter last season as soon as Plaxico went down.

Comment

Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
          Yes the Giants as a team won a Super Bowl but the QB is the most important player on the team. Most Giants fans are happy with it so that's all that really matters. People are going to hate on Eli so I'm used to it.
          But in the Super Bowl run, he wasn't even close to the most important player on the team.

Comment

Originally posted by Sniper View Post
            Problem is, Eli's not half the QB that Peyton is. Regardless of when the player signed his contract, Eli should never, ever, under any circumstances, be making more money than Peyton. When's the last time Eli truly took over a game without having a great defense and a good running game to fall back on? Any indications that this guy is truly an elite QB went down the shitter last season as soon as Plaxico went down.
            Donovan isn't half the the QB Peyton is either, but if 2009 was his last season under contract and he signed an extension, this is what he would be getting too.

Comment

But in the Super Bowl run, he wasn't even close to the most important player on the team.
              That is not true at all. He put us in position in the 4th quarter to win the Super Bowl. He made countless big throws in that quarter and in the whole playoff run.
              #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Jug-

We have tried explaining the simplest of economic theories to some people and they cannot grasp it. Let it go...it's mostly I-hate-the-Giants hatred anyway.

NFL contracts are so far over the heads of even the intense fans, it isn't even worth diving into a deep discussion about. If you look at the years and the salary alone, yes Eli is being vastly overpaid. But when one considers the future of the NFL finances, the market, and the rising costs we are watching grow at a rapid rate year by year, this isn't something to throw a hissy fit about.
                Originally posted by Paul
                Eli's opportunity to become a legend.
                Originally posted by Vikes99ej
                These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
                MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Comment

'08 season

T-10th in touchdowns
                  T-11th in INT
                  14th in passer rating
                  19th in completion %
                  20th in yards per play
                  24th in pass plays of 40+
                  25th in pass plays of 20+

Man, this really screams out "BEST QB IN THE GAME!".

Comment

Donovan isn't half the the QB Peyton is either, but if 2009 was his last season under contract and he signed an extension, this is what he would be getting too.
                    Does that make it right?

Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
                    That is not true at all. He put us in position in the 4th quarter to win the Super Bowl. He made countless big throws in that quarter and in the whole playoff run.
                    You wouldn't even have smelled the Super Bowl or the fourth quarter of it if it weren't for the defense and the offensive line.

Originally posted by Number 10 View Post
                    Let it go...it's mostly I-hate-the-Giants hatred anyway.
                    The "us against the world" and "EVERYONE HATEZ US CUZ WE'RE THE ROXORZZZZZ" thing was overdone in 2007.

Comment

Sniper I don't want to get in one of your dumb petty arguments. I understand the initial reaction to the contract and I don't look down on you for it. I just simply think you aren't fully understanding whats going on here, thats all.
                      Originally posted by Paul
                      Eli's opportunity to become a legend.
                      Originally posted by Vikes99ej
                      These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
                      MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Comment

Does that make it right?
                        Maybe not. But it's the current system we have in the NFL. If you have a problem with it's economics than that's a completely different topic. I agree in a sense. Personally in my opinion first round draft picks make too much, which leads to veterans wanting more money when they approach free agency.

Comment

Maybe not. But it's the current system we have in the NFL. If you have a problem with it's economics than that's a completely different topic. I agree in a sense. Personally in my opinion first round draft picks make too much, which leads to veterans wanting more money when they approach free agency.
                          Jughead is 100% right. Untill they can fix this part of the system then this is how the NFL works.
                          #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by princefielder28 View Post
                            Outside of that four game stretch his play has not warranted a contract of this magnitude. I know "it's the going rate" but Eli isn't worth this kind of dough.
                            Yeah he is, but his stats won't reflect it because we don't play in a Run N shoot, Air Croyell, or WCO offense. It's a regular pro style offense which favors running the ball. Not only that we had the worst OC on the face off the earth when we drafted Eli. We fired him and he is now in canada, but the amount of stuff he endured in NY, plus his ability to be clutch for us is priceless.

But again, if Vick can get a 113 or 130 million deal, then a deal like this for someone who deserves it isn't far fetched. Now, I do think it's alot of money, but that's the going rate unfortunetly. The next franchise QB who wants an extension will break this, so it's not a big deal.

Comment

I think it's ridiculous that Eli is the highest paid player in the game, because I don't think he is anywhere near the best player at his own position, nevermind the best player. That being said, I understand that QB's make more money, and that the system in and of itself is so messed up to allow the contracts to keep skyrocketing like this and have unproven rookies and lesser players make more than those at the top of their position. Unfortunately as other have said, that is the current economic state of the NFL.
                              Patriots, Red Sox, Celtics, Bruins, Texas Longhorns

Comment

this is my take:

in 2-4 years, this will seem like a steal for a franchise QB. This money is huge now, but realistically, in the open market, he would've gotten so much more. I'm torn, because it is a **** load of money, but really, it's giving the Giants their QB for the next 7 years with no worries. Because face it, Eli's too stupid to get into off the field problems, if that makes sense. While he's no super stud QB, he does what the Giants need him to do. He's a solid, young, Super Bowl winner QB. He doesn't need to win us the games, just do what he did during that Super Bowl run and not lose it for us. He's experienced in the postseason (considering he's never missed it as a starter) and has pretty much handled the beast that is the NY media. I'm glad we got him locked up, and this will be pretty cheap compared to what some of the next QB deals will be.

and to be fair, this thread has been all Giants fans and 2 pretty well-known Eli haters. I'm just sayin'...
                                We ALL bleed scarlet
                                New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
                                UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
                                Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
                                BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information