No announcement yet.

ELI...highest paid?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is the standard in the NFL. Each newly signed contract tends to make a player the highest paid at his position. Usually, it's the true stud FA, which is not the case with Eli. But the position warrants it b/c there are not many good QBs.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs

Comment

Originally posted by scottyboy View Post
      this is my take:

in 2-4 years, this will seem like a steal for a franchise QB.

He doesn't need to win us the games
      That's what a franchise QB is supposed to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Sniper View Post
        That's what a franchise QB is supposed to do.
        false. a franchise QB is supposed to be the figure head of the team, be there for a long time and win games. that's what Eli is and does.
        We ALL bleed scarlet
        New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
        UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
        Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
        BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

false. a franchise QB is supposed to be the figure head of the team, be there for a long time and win games. that's what Eli is and does.
          A franchise QB should be able to put the team on his back when all else is failing and lead them to victory. Eli still hasn't proved that he can win without an elite WR and a fantastic running game.

Comment

Yeah, the same SB run where your defense ******* ruined people.
            Yeah but you need to score points.. We nearly lost the GB game in the playoffs, and our defense was a pubic hair away from losing to dallas.. Then in the superbowl, after all our defense was doing we still needed our offense to make plays, because the pats were close.

Comment

A franchise QB should be able to put the team on his back when all else is failing and lead them to victory. Eli still hasn't proved that he can win without an elite WR and a fantastic running game.
              Neither has Peyton technically. Who has? Brady thats about it. All winning QBs are surrounded by good players.

Comment

Originally posted by princefielder28 View Post
                Outside of that four game stretch his play has not warranted a contract of this magnitude. I know "it's the going rate" but Eli isn't worth this kind of dough.
                Eli Manning has made the playoffs every year he has started at qb. Only Peyton Manning can say the same over the past 4 years.

And lets not forget, Eli wasn't handed a great team. The Giants were godawful when he became our qb. He's a big reason why we've consistently made the playoffs.

Eli obviously won the SB, and was SB mvp.

He's established himself as a clutch qb already.

Forget numbers. Thats the problem with today's perception of players. We're so entrenched in fantasy football that we forget what really makes a franchise quarterback. Thats what I realized about Ben Roethlisberger. I used to think he was overrated, but I don't anymore. He's a winner, and he's clutch. Thats what a real franchise qb is all about.

Yeah, the same SB run where your defense ******* ruined people.
                I don't buy that. Eli isn't the first qb to have an great defense. The Steelers, Chargers, Eagles, Cowboys, they all have similar defenses. Only the Steelers sealed the deal out of those teams.

Comment

Every great QB has a big time WR so the point that Eli needs to prove he could do it without a #1 is a joke. Take Rice away from Montana and Young and see how they do.
                  #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                    I don't buy that. Eli isn't the first qb to have an great defense. The Steelers, Chargers, Eagles, Cowboys, they all have similar defenses. Only the Steelers sealed the deal out of those teams.
                    And none of Phil Rivers, Donovan McNabb and Tony Romo deserve to be the highest-paid player in the game. Give either Rivers or McNabb that type of running game to go with the defense and a #1 target and both of them win the Super Bowl.

Comment

well, i think we can agree to disagree. what you just described to me is a stud, elite QB, possibly a HOF'er.

But then again, Eli's career is still young and the fact of the matter is, he hasn't had to do that very often. He's done it with great comebacks ala Denver a few years ago and that massive whacky comeback game against Philly as well. Eli's the face of the franchise and has won a Super Bowl and will be here a long time.To me, that's a franchise QB.
                      We ALL bleed scarlet
                      BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
                        Every great QB has a big time WR so the point that Eli needs to prove he could do it without a #1 is a joke.
                        I'm sorry, but when you're the highest-paid player in the league, I expect you to be able to do things on your own. Who were the great WRs during Tom Brady's Super Bowl wins?

Comment

well, i think we can agree to disagree. what you just described to me is a stud, elite QB, possibly a HOF'er.
                          Well, if you're making a guy the highest-paid player in a league with a bunch of overpaid players, shouldn't he be a stud, elite QB, HOFer?

Comment

And none of Phil Rivers, Donovan McNabb and Tony Romo deserve to be the highest-paid player in the game. Give either Rivers or McNabb that type of running game to go with the defense and a #1 target and both of them win the Super Bowl.
                            but you can bet your butt when Rivers signs his new deal, it'll be higher than Eli's. that's how the NFL's economy is working right now.

and dont give me that, the Chargers have a very good D and freaking Tomlinson. they didn't win with him in his prime.

and you've got Westbrook and have had some of the better defenses I've seen in a while, the Eagles had their chance, and blew it in the super bowl.

people forget, we started Geoffery Pope against Dallas. I'm pretty sure he hasn't played a snap since that game during that run...
                            We ALL bleed scarlet

Comment

I'm sorry, but when you're the highest-paid player in the league, I expect you to be able to do things on your own. Who were the great WRs during Tom Brady's Super Bowl wins?
                              Yeah as Jughead said before Brady is probably the #1 exception. Besides that everyone has had a big name WR.
                              #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Don't Eagles fans always complain they need a #1 WR for Donovan? Why is it that Eli doesn't work with the same standard? When Donovan had a great defense, a #1 WR, and a great running game he didn't win the Super Bowl so I don't want to hear it.
                                #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information