Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Josh McDaniels' Latest Screw Up

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by Bigburt63 View Post
    No doubt, that defense was not a one offseason fix IMO. It can improve, but not into a stud defense without that DL. I was surprised they didn't go DL early, as BB does that alot (3 first round picks on the DL, with Brace a 2nd rounder this year). Pioli did the same thing in KC this year with Jackson at #3, somewhat surprising until you look at the way he drafted with BB in NE.
    i agree. what was most surprising to me was not making a move for Ron Brace in round 2. if anything, that to me would be a more valid trade than giving up their 1st for Alphonso Smith.

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
      i agree. what was most surprising to me was not making a move for Ron Brace in round 2. if anything, that to me would be a more valid trade than giving up their 1st for Alphonso Smith.
      I don't remember what picks the broncos had, but I know the Pats traded up to 40 IIRC to get Brace. Maybe they heard chatter about a potential move like that? Brace was the consensus 2nd NT in the draft behind Raji. And I agree. As much as I loved Smith coming out, Brace would make alot more sense.
      Patriots, Red Sox, Celtics, Bruins, Texas Longhorns

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
        I like Alphonso Smith a lot. I loved him coming out.

        But theres no way you can warrant that trade for him. He's a slot CB, who can cover smaller WRs in 2 WR sets, but he is not ever going to be worthy of what they gave up for him. He'd be an ok fit in a Cover 2 scheme.

        Put a guy like Anquan Boldin or Kenny Britt etc on him, and he's gonna get destroyed in man coverage.
        Thats just it though, the 3-4 defense uses alot more zone coverage in the secondary. If you look at the Patriots CBs in the past to present you have a 3rd rounder in Ellis Hobbs and 4th rounder in Asante Samuel and Jonathan Wilhite, 2nd rounders in Terrence Wheatley and Darius Butler.

        The Broncos gave up a 1st round pick and used a 2nd round pick to draft Smith. Unless he becomes a Darrelle Revis, Chris McCallister, or Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie you have to question giving up 2 first day picks for a zone CB.

        Comment


        • #49
          McDaniels has not had a good offseason. He's got good intentions and maybe when he's not so green, he'll experience some success. But right now, this just gets worse and worse. Possibly one of the worst offseasons in NFL history.

          BoneKrusher

          Comment


          • #50
            The broncos have other talented players in the front 7; DJ Williams, Elvis Dummerville, Tim Crowder has been playing LIGHTS out in TC, Andre Davis was a very solid LB for cleveland

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by Denver Bronco27 View Post
              The broncos have other talented players in the front 7; DJ Williams, Elvis Dummerville, Tim Crowder has been playing LIGHTS out in TC, Andre Davis was a very solid LB for cleveland
              Didn't Ryan Fitzpatrick play lights out in a TC 3 years ago?
              Originally posted by njx9
              i mean, why wouldn't the broncos take cam newton? they can play him at quarterback WITH tebow!

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by bhaarat316 View Post
                Jarvis Moss was going to retire?
                If he's not cut, he still might. Muy bustifico.

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by CC.SD View Post
                  If he's not cut, he still might. Muy bustifico.
                  Jeez, 2 years into the league and already he has lost the will to play. IDK whether that is on him or on the coach.


                  Originally posted by bearsfan_51
                  Show me your Wang, if you will.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    did you guys know that if BMW ran a 4.3 and was able to catch a ball he'd be the best wide receiver ever (after CJ)

                    Sig by Fenikz

                    I remember NFLDC
                    don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      It doesnt matter what else he does this offseason, there is literally no way to rebound from trading away a 25 year old pro bowl QB. You can throw in all the if, ands, and buts you want, but that is a mistake you simply do not make. And you especially dont make it because you are too proud to swallow your ego and assure your FRANCHISE ******* QB that he wont be moved.

                      The Broncos defense could of been a 1 season fix. If they had been smart, kept Cutler, invested the first rounder in a stud rusher, and used a 2nd rounder on shoring up the Dline, they would be alot better off then they are now with Orton at QB and Ayers and Moreno on the team.

                      When its all said and done, McDaniels has taken a team with a ******** of pieces and dissasembled it so he can put it back together his way. He wasnt the right choice for the job in Denver.
                      Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
                      The APS is strong in this one.
                      Originally posted by killxswitch
                      Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by A Perfect Score View Post
                        It doesnt matter what else he does this offseason, there is literally no way to rebound from trading away a 25 year old pro bowl QB. You can throw in all the if, ands, and buts you want, but that is a mistake you simply do not make. And you especially dont make it because you are too proud to swallow your ego and assure your FRANCHISE ******* QB that he wont be moved.

                        The Broncos defense could of been a 1 season fix. If they had been smart, kept Cutler, invested the first rounder in a stud rusher, and used a 2nd rounder on shoring up the Dline, they would be alot better off then they are now with Orton at QB and Ayers and Moreno on the team.

                        When its all said and done, McDaniels has taken a team with a ******** of pieces and dissasembled it so he can put it back together his way. He wasnt the right choice for the job in Denver.
                        You dont shore up a d-line that had zero quality pieces with a second-round d-lineman in a draft class devoid of depth at that position. Dumervil was thew only good piece on that line, and he is a situational rusher, not an every-down player. Fact is, McDaniels needed a completely new d-line, and 2 new linebackers. I guess he figured he couldnt do that in the draft, so he just got some bigger and more aggressive guys than were on the roster. Add in Dawkins and while they still suck as a unit, they will be much better at stopping the run by default.

                        Bowlen brought in McDaniels knowing that he wanted to bring in a more versatile offense similar to the Patriots. The only piece he got rid of was Cutler, and it is debatable as to whose fault that was. If you are convinced that McDaniels is the wrong choice, then have a go at Bowlen. McDaniels hasnt actually done that much wrong (Cutler and the Smith trade are the only ones with any legitimacy - and at least Smith is an above average player), as he has come in and put together an offense and defense that is much more versatile than was currently in place.

                        Next you are gonna try and pin Michael Jackson's murder on McDaniels as well.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by Timbathia View Post
                          You dont shore up a d-line that had zero quality pieces with a second-round d-lineman in a draft class devoid of depth at that position. Dumervil was thew only good piece on that line, and he is a situational rusher, not an every-down player. Fact is, McDaniels needed a completely new d-line, and 2 new linebackers. I guess he figured he couldnt do that in the draft, so he just got some bigger and more aggressive guys than were on the roster. Add in Dawkins and while they still suck as a unit, they will be much better at stopping the run by default.

                          Bowlen brought in McDaniels knowing that he wanted to bring in a more versatile offense similar to the Patriots. The only piece he got rid of was Cutler, and it is debatable as to whose fault that was. If you are convinced that McDaniels is the wrong choice, then have a go at Bowlen. McDaniels hasnt actually done that much wrong (Cutler and the Smith trade are the only ones with any legitimacy - and at least Smith is an above average player), as he has come in and put together an offense and defense that is much more versatile than was currently in place.

                          Next you are gonna try and pin Michael Jackson's murder on McDaniels as well.
                          But the offense wasnt the problem. The defense was. So why Bowlen wanted a more versatile offense is still a mysterious. Case in point, you had a stud QB, a stud WR, a servicable offensive line and a system that allowed for a solid running game with anyone at RB. The Broncos fell apart because of the defense. So why did the offense need to be re-tooled again?

                          And there is literally no way you can put a positive spin on the Cutler trade. All Cutler wanted to hear from McDaniels after the rumor they went after Cassell was "I wont be traded." And since McDaniels has such a gigantic ego that he couldnt even say that, Cutler demanded a trade. And rightfully so. I would too. He wasnt the problem in Denver, and he shouldnt be treated as though he is.

                          Im as big of an Alphonso Smith fan as anyone. In fact, if you check the Ravens forum, I wanted us to take him at 26 from the beginning of the draft process. I really think he will be a good #2 CB in the league. But you just dont trade a top 10 (likely) pick for a #2 QB. You just dont. Ugh. You cant defend his decisions, they dont make any sense.

                          And you are right, they couldnt of fixed the defense in one draft. But they would of been a ******** better off with a high octane offense and a defense that they sunk a first/second round pick into.
                          Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
                          The APS is strong in this one.
                          Originally posted by killxswitch
                          Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            McDaniels was a good choice as a head coach to rebuild the franchise, and I think the front office was trying to do what philly way back when they hired Vermeil, pick up a young up and comer from a good pedigree and get him to run the show.

                            What they should've done was paired him with a veteran GM or veteran director of scouting turned GM, not given him free reign over everything.

                            When both hats are worn by the one guy it almost never works. When it does work usually it's a coach who's been a head coach for a number of years getting the GM spot as well through a firing or a retirement and a job offer.

                            A guy like McDaniels getting both, that makes the owners just as a culpable as mcdaniels.

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              If the Broncos win more than six games I will be utterly dumbfounded


                              "O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
                              Mike Tirico

                              Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

                              Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun


                              "(Ole Miss QB) Bo Wallace is one of those types of quarterbacks who is always trying to save the city but he's actually burning it down." -- NFC director of scouting

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Maybe just MAYBE McDanials knew exactly what he was doing when he traded the first round pick for Alphonso Smith. Maybe he didn't want to pay a top 5 pick which is why he traded the Bronco's pick instead of the Bears. Am I out of line here?
                                Stafford Sig by touchdownrams the rest of the sig by Sig Master Bone Krusher Avy by King of all avys renji


                                DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

                                Originally posted by njx9
                                oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information