X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colts bench LT Tony Ugoh

Charlie Johnson is the new starter:

http://blogs.indystar.com/philb/2009...ing_at_lt.html

Colts coach Jim Caldwell made it clear this wasn't a one day experiment. He said Johnson is his starter.
    Wow. Very surprising. It looks like Ugoh is headed towards the "bust" column. He's not starting anywhere on the line as of now.

I wouldn't call Ugoh a bust but this is surprising. Ugoh could be that 6th man rotational guy who could be plugged in anywhere on that line when someone goes down. That guy is valuable, but I'm really surprised he's not starting.

Originally posted by fenikz
    His soft D really turns me off
    ** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **

Comment

he looked so promising his rookie year too...

that has to stink for the Colts.

I just don't see it with the Colts this year.

Comment

Yeah, from the outside looking in, I always thought Ugoh was kicking ass in Indy.
        Last edited by Paul; 08-10-2009, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Yeah, he replaced Tarik Glenn really well his rookie year. I guess that injury last year must have really messed him up somehow. This also could have more to do with Johnson being a stud that we haven't seen yet, but I guess we won't find out for another couple of months.

Comment

Ugoh will start the season at LT, I still believe.
            Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

The new staff is putting their stamp on things
              -Boston Red Sox-New England Patriots-Boston Celtics-

Comment

Could be saying more good about Johnson than bad about Ugoh.

Comment

I admit I didn't see much of the Colts last season, but it's hard to imagine him as anything but a starter. He played so well as a rookie. What happened last year?

Comment

He can start for the Steelers any day.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig

Comment

Johnson has been the 6th man on the line since his rookie year. A minor anecdote about him: during the '06 Super Bowl (his rookie year), the normal RT was injured in the 2nd quarter & Johnson took his spot. Peyton has said that he didn't notice Johnson had been in the until the 4th quarter. He was looking around the huddle and had a "When'd you get here?" moment.

Can't guarantee it's true, but it's a rather comical situation. He managed against ... Mark Anderson I think would be the Bears LE or is it Ogunleye? Both are solid but not great pass-rushers, and that was 3 years ago now, so I imagine he's improved They play the Vikings Friday, so we'll find out against Jared Allen.

Hope they stick a RB over there, since Jared's got a tendency to dive into QB's knees ...:( Man that would suck.

As far as Ugoh, he got hit with the injury bug about some of last year. He was also benched for a game I believe. I'm wondering if his heart was called into question by the coaching staff (like he wasn't playing through an injury, which the coaches thought he should have) & Tony forgave him after the game, while Caldwell didn't. It's worth mentioning that Johnson came off the PUP list today, so this could have been a long time coming. Of course that's just me wondering. It could be a motivation thing, or just one of those "Every position on the team is open for competition" things.
                      Last edited by falloutboy14; 08-10-2009, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
                        Ugoh will start the season at LT, I still believe.
                        Of course he will, they're just trying to get him motivated to improve. He has the talent to be elite, but apparently he's not giving the effort the coaching staff feels he should.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
                        <Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge

Comment

Originally posted by OzTitan View Post
                          Could be saying more good about Johnson than bad about Ugoh.
                          It's not. Charlie Johnson is a terrible LT. He's a great backup OL, and could possibly even succeed Diem at RT, but he's not an NFL caliber LT. What it's saying is the coaching staff is trying to send a message to Ugoh that he needs to put in more effort or something.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
                          <Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge

Comment

Obvious motivation play is obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by Dam8610 View Post
                              It's not. Charlie Johnson is a terrible LT. He's a great backup OL, and could possibly even succeed Diem at RT, but he's not an NFL caliber LT. What it's saying is the coaching staff is trying to send a message to Ugoh that he needs to put in more effort or something.
                              Count me as plus one on the motivation bandwagon.

I could believe this was genuine...if only it wasn't Charlie Johnson deseating Ugoh. Nothing against Johnson. LT just isn't exactly his best position.
                              Still Team The Ke$ha!!!

[@TDWinstead]
                              Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
                              Damn Ke$ha is sexy.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information