Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Corey Williams to the Panthers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Corey Williams to the Panthers?

    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...orey-williams/

    Under G.M. Phil Savage, the Browns acquired defensive tackle Corey Williams from the Packers for a second-round pick, and promptly gave him a big deal with over $16 million in guarantees.

    Just a year later, another team may be trying to take him from the Browns.

    Panthers G.M. Marty Hurney was in Green Bay Bay Saturday night, reportedly to look at Williams. (Hopefully he enjoyed the game more than Eric Mangini, who was "fuming" after a lackluster 17-0 loss.)

    Williams has struggled to adapt to a 3-4 defense, rarely showing the skills that made him a quality starter as a defensive tackle in Green Bay.

    In Carolina, Williams would be asked to move back to tackle, where even Pro Bowl linebacker Jon Beason said the team "definitely" needs to sign a veteran after losing Ma'aake Kemoeatu for the season during training camp.
    Makes sense for any team that needs a DT to try to get this guy. Had 7 sacks each season before last year. He seems like a good fit for Carolina. Would love the raiders to try to get him next to Kelly.


    "Just Win Baby"- Al Davis
    @SirStackAlot707


  • #2
    Good signing by the Panthers. They needed DT help before Kemoeatu went down. Williams was kind of place playing the 3-4 DE anyway.

    Comment


    • #3
      havent signed him yet

      Comment


      • #4
        Theres a question mark after the name of the thread. Probably should of made it a different title.


        "Just Win Baby"- Al Davis
        @SirStackAlot707

        Comment


        • #5
          I always thought to myself that Williams wouldn't work out when we traded him to Cleveland. He was never a full time starter for us and he was at his best when he was playing in a rotation. He's a good run stopper but he's more effective at penetrating the pocket.

          Comment


          • #6
            This is a rumor. Do we really need a thread regarding some mediocre defensive tackle?


            http://minnesotasportstwentyfourseven.blogspot.com/

            Comment


            • #7
              14 sacks in 2 years is mediocre? Didnt play in the right system last year so he didnt have good #'s but I believe he can be a good DT in a4-3


              "Just Win Baby"- Al Davis
              @SirStackAlot707

              Comment


              • #8
                He looked like he didn't fit at all in the 3-4 and Cleveland didn't realize this until well after they gave him that gargantuan contract. I also think that he can get it done in an aggressive 4-3 defense.

                Comment


                • #9
                  He was a pretty good player for us two years in our 4-3. I really didn't think Corey would perform well in the 3-4, which turned out to be true. I think he'll have a much better year now that he's back in a 4-3 system.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    It would be a great move for the Panthers as realistically, anyone is better than the guys they have. The issue is, I doubt Carolina would be able to afford his cap hit, or absorb the cap hit or whomever we traded either.

                    The cap all coming due from trading a player would but the Panthers over. Absorbing Williams salary would likely do the same thing.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Not necessarily. Getting specific numbers/details from Rotoworld ...

                      Assuming the Browns have already paid the $6M roster bonus (and the $100K workout bonus if applicable), which is very likely, then the Panthers would only be on the hook for $1.7M this year.

                      (Next year is when the base salary begins to jump, at $4.2M in '10, $4.9M in '11, $4.9M in '12, and $5.4M in '13. And there is one remaining roster bonus, $1.7M for next season, as well a $100K workout bonus for each of the remaining seasons.)

                      Although the Panthers could cut him at any time without penalty other than that 2010 roster bonus if parties reach that point. Especially helpful if there is a lockout.

                      Cleveland would immediately be on the hook for the remaining amount of the $6.5M signing bonus given last year, in addition to the aforementioned $6M roster bonus for this year.

                      Unless the Panthers can't afford $1.7M or restructure $1.7M available for Williams this season, I suppose.
                      Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Geo View Post
                        Not necessarily. Getting specific numbers/details from Rotoworld ...

                        Assuming the Browns have already paid the $6M roster bonus (and the $100K workout bonus if applicable), which is very likely, then the Panthers would only be on the hook for $1.7M this year.

                        (Next year is when the base salary begins to jump, at $4.2M in '10, $4.9M in '11, $4.9M in '12, and $5.4M in '13. And there is one remaining roster bonus, $1.7M for next season, as well a $100K workout bonus for each of the remaining seasons.)

                        Although the Panthers could cut him at any time without penalty other than that 2010 roster bonus if parties reach that point. Especially helpful if there is a lockout.

                        Cleveland would immediately be on the hook for the remaining amount of the $6.5M signing bonus given last year, in addition to the aforementioned $6M roster bonus for this year.

                        Unless the Panthers can't afford $1.7M or restructure $1.7M available for Williams this season, I suppose.
                        I haven't seen an updated figure, nor had the time to try and estimate what the current cap situation is, but this might very really be an issue.

                        Depends on who we have that's worth extending and restructuring.

                        Next years salaries for him aren't that big of a deal since next year there figures to be a 17million dollar free up.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by BlindSite View Post
                          I haven't seen an updated figure, nor had the time to try and estimate what the current cap situation is, but this might very really be an issue.

                          Depends on who we have that's worth extending and restructuring.

                          Next years salaries for him aren't that big of a deal since next year there figures to be a 17million dollar free up.
                          Mart Hurney would definitely be able to restructure someone to free up that much money, it's basically what he does.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by RaiderNation View Post
                            14 sacks in 2 years is mediocre? Didnt play in the right system last year so he didnt have good #'s but I believe he can be a good DT in a4-3
                            He isn't a full time starter, he needs to rotate with someone, but his contract will never allow anyone to do that.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              question for blindsite:

                              why is your sig a blatent late hit on a defenseless QB?

                              is that really the best play you could find, or do you just hate aaron rodgers?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X

                              Debug Information