Slightly OT... Troy Smith

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slightly OT... Troy Smith

Now i'm an admitted Ohio State Homer, and will always be a huge fan of Troy. But am I the only person here who can't shake the feeling that he'll be a starting quarterback in the NFL at some point or another?

Troy had all but won the starting job in Baltimore prior to coming down with a bad illness. Of course, we all know how that turned out with Flacco taking over and having a solid rookie season. Nevertheless, Troy has continued to look solid, tearing it up in the preseason game this year, and playing solidly in the few opportunities for him to actually start.

I don't think the NFL would hold him at very high value since he hasn't played an entire season, but I kind of think he's the next Matt Cassel. He just needs his chance to shine in an offense and show what he can do. Anyone else agree?
    Browns & Buckeyes <3

It's going to be hard for a 6'0 QB making it. I'd be interested to see if he can, but the chips are stacked against him.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockey+Manning=Shocking View Post
      It's going to be hard for a 6'0 QB making it.
      Drew Brees says shut your mouth. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Splat420 View Post
        Drew Brees says shut your mouth. :)
        Isn't Brees 6'1 or 6'2? If not, then he is an exception to the rule. Plus it's not like he started out good. He picked it up, and Cam Cameron helped him out, and from there took off. That's pretty rare to have it click like that, and for him to do well for his height.

Comment

http://www.nfl.com/players/drewbrees...e?id=BRE229498

I'm not a big Troy Smith fan and don't see him being a full time starter but I don't think his height should discredit him.
          Last edited by Splat; 08-20-2009, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockey+Manning=Shocking View Post
            Isn't Brees 6'1 or 6'2? If not, then he is an exception to the rule. Plus it's not like he started out good. He picked it up, and Cam Cameron helped him out, and from there took off. That's pretty rare to have it click like that, and for him to do well for his height.
            Honestly Brees at 6' is generous. I've stood right next to him and felt significantly taller, and I'm 6'1.

That is as far as I'm willing to go when comparing Brees and Troy Smith though.

Comment

http://www.nfl.com/players/drewbrees...e?id=BRE229498

I'm not a big Troy Smith fan and don't see him being a full time starter but I don't think his height should discredit him.
              I think it's a big reason. If that's the case more of these guys would be scouted and height wouldn't be a factor. I think it def. is a factor when your OL is 6'4 or higher, and you're 6 feet, it does make a difference. I think Brees really did prove to be the exception to the rule, not the norm. What he did is pretty sick in it's own right.

Comment

I just don't like when people say a player is to short or to small it has been proven time after time size is overrated being a QB makes it more of a challenge but still it can be done.

Comment

I just don't like when people say a player is to short or to small it has been proven time after time size is overrated being a QB makes it more of a challenge but still it can be done.
                  If that's the case scouts wouldn't make it an issue. There would be a physical attributes section, or statements like " he has great size as a good" or prototypical size. If that's the case then why hasn't someone 6 or shorter been drafting high on a consistent basis.

Just think of it this way, your system would have to be very limited, and you'd need a lot of sprint out, roll out, protections and plays. Could it work? Yeah, but it's just a hard thing in my opinion.

Why aren't there 5'10 offensive linemen? If the guy has the strength, technique and weight why don't we see a lot more of those guys? Scouts really do look for that.

Comment

watching him while he was in baltimore I really think he can be a starter in the NFL. I am a fan of him I hope he goes and does well. Rumor has it since we brought in 2 QBs mid training camp that we may send Smith and other pieces to Denver for Brandon Marshall

Comment

Yea maybe he can start for Denver and Marshall can start for us :)
                      Originally posted by SunTzu_22
                      Just let it go RWO.
                      We as Ravens fans are clearly scum of the earth, and should just be happy that these great people, who cheer for nothing than the finest, morally impeccable players, playing on the finest, most morally impeccable teams, will grace us with their presence, and words of wisdom.

John Wall
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4CbQGBbUOw

Comment

He has unreal mobility, a strong arm, but his accuracy is pretty bad and he does get a lot of balls batted down. I think he'll be a decent career backup, kind of like Seneca Wallace. If only he were a little bit faster he has the build to make the RB conversion ala Michael Robinson.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
                        http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
                        Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
                        http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966

Comment

Originally posted by SeanTaylorRIP View Post
                          He has unreal mobility, a strong arm, but his accuracy is pretty bad and he does get a lot of balls batted down. I think he'll be a decent career backup, kind of like Seneca Wallace. If only he were a little bit faster he has the build to make the RB conversion ala Michael Robinson.
                          I'm pretty sure Robinson is the 49ers starting FB now.

Comment

Originally posted by PACKmanN View Post
                            I'm pretty sure Robinson is the 49ers starting FB now.
                            Sure isnt, that would be Moran Norris. Robinson is our special teams ace and back up FB.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

Drew Brees isn't a great example, or the model for 6'0 QBs.

Thing is, Brees is about as perfect a passer as it gets, his height IS what keeps him from topping guys like Manning and Brady. A lot of his INTs and incompletions come from balls being batted at the line(probably a much higher proportion than other Elite QBs).

Troy Smith did look good going into last year, and I think he can make it, but trying to use Drew Brees as a model for success is like saying every 6' guard can be an MVP candidate because Chris Paul is.
                              Originally posted by SNIPER26
                              fwiw, i amz deunks ofs myt ass. ilo vez drinmoinz befotre i post. wha t a hreat ideas.z.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information