No announcement yet.

Slightly OT... Troy Smith

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Troy Smith has a good chance to be a solid starter. Just getting a chance will be tough. Backups are rarely given a legit shot to start when they hit the open market.

Minny trades a 3rd rounder for Sage and they still sign on old veternan and just declare him the starter. If Farve plays well he will likely re-sign, if he struggles Childress will likely get fired. A new coach probably will look at a new direction at QB. Unless Farve gets seriously injured or he really bombs early Sage probably will never get a chance.

Most teams are set at QB or have a young 1st rounder. Of the teams that don't, a lot won't want Troy Smith as a potential starter and a couple that do will end up drafting a 1st round QB.
    Last edited by Bucs_Rule; 08-20-2009, 06:31 PM.

Comment

I like smith a whole lot and if he were a free agent i'd be more comfortable with him than moore or mccown

Comment

reminds me of this:

jump to 2:50

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

Originally posted by gstock05 View Post
          But am I the only person here who can't shake the feeling that he'll be a starting quarterback in the NFL at some point or another?
          yes you are. go away.
          http://i38.tinypic.com/2aj2s7t.jpg
          For a good time call (303) 499-7111.whitspacsig by steel man

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"

Comment

Ugh... Stop with the Drew Brees crap. He's the exception to the rule. Just because he's one of the top quarterbacks in the league doesn't mean that every quarterback around 5'11" or 6'0" has a chance to be good.

Comment

Originally posted by P-L View Post
              Ugh... Stop with the Drew Brees crap. He's the exception to the rule. Just because he's one of the top quarterbacks in the league doesn't mean that every quarterback around 5'11" or 6'0" has a chance to be good.
              Just like it doesn't mean that every 6'4" or 6'5" QB has a chance to be good.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucs_Rule View Post
                I think Troy Smith has a good chance to be a solid starter. Just getting a chance will be tough. Backups are rarely given a legit shot to start when they hit the open market.

Minny trades a 3rd rounder for Sage and they still sign on old veternan and just declare him the starter. If Farve plays well he will likely re-sign, if he struggles Childress will likely get fired. A new coach probably will look at a new direction at QB. Unless Farve gets seriously injured or he really bombs early Sage probably will never get a chance.

Most teams are set at QB or have a young 1st rounder. Of the teams that don't, a lot won't want Troy Smith as a potential starter and a couple that do will end up drafting a 1st round QB.
                Unless a Matt Schaub type of situation arises.
                Patriots, Red Sox, Celtics, Bruins, Texas Longhorns

Comment

Originally posted by Brent View Post
                  reminds me of this:

jump to 2:50
                  God bless you, Sal. **** Troy Smith.

Comment

IIRC Troy looked pretty good in his short stint as a starter. I think I would take him over Tavares Jackson and Alex Smith.
                    Stafford Sig by touchdownrams the rest of the sig by Sig Master Bone Krusher Avy by King of all avys renji

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Originally posted by njx9
                    oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.

Comment

Originally posted by broth223 View Post
                      IIRC Troy looked pretty good in his short stint as a starter. I think I would take him over Tavares Jackson and Alex Smith.
                      There's a lot of guys I would throw out there instead of those two.

Comment

Why aren't there 5'10 offensive linemen? If the guy has the strength, technique and weight why don't we see a lot more of those guys? Scouts really do look for that.
                        In many ways this is a symptom of prototypes for positions. You get a lot of guys that never get a chance at a position because of their height or play other positions because of it but you can find an exception to pretty much every rule where height is a factor the question becomes more of is that exception truly special or is it just that they got the shot that others didnt.

I see it mostly with "undersized" PFs in the NBA, guys like Millsap, Landry, West and Diogu all come to mind, all have shown when they have gotten chances to be effective NBA players but all fell in the draft due to their height and still get limited minutes(West aside). Sure there are negatives to a shorter player, but all those guys can play.

Harrison with the Steelers is another example, guy is undersized but he just gets it done, I find it hard to believe that his height wasn't a major reason he had a hard time securing a spot, you consistently have those guys that overcome it, you wonder how many more could if there wasn't such a fascination on height in the pro leagues.

Another note is that people seem to focus on the advantages of height and disadvantages of a lack of height with no real consideration of the opposite side, short guys find it easier to get low, are "naturally" quicker and more agile, have lower centers of gravity, are less of a target when getting hit and in this day and age are different to what people are used to facing. You never hear that flip side of the equation and I certainly get the feeling with the way the game is changing(less contact, more speed) that we are going to see more and more undersized guys excel.

Props to BK on the sig!

Comment

Originally posted by wogitalia View Post
                          In many ways this is a symptom of prototypes for positions. You get a lot of guys that never get a chance at a position because of their height or play other positions because of it but you can find an exception to pretty much every rule where height is a factor the question becomes more of is that exception truly special or is it just that they got the shot that others didnt.

I see it mostly with "undersized" PFs in the NBA, guys like Millsap, Landry, West and Diogu all come to mind, all have shown when they have gotten chances to be effective NBA players but all fell in the draft due to their height and still get limited minutes(West aside). Sure there are negatives to a shorter player, but all those guys can play.

Harrison with the Steelers is another example, guy is undersized but he just gets it done, I find it hard to believe that his height wasn't a major reason he had a hard time securing a spot, you consistently have those guys that overcome it, you wonder how many more could if there wasn't such a fascination on height in the pro leagues.

Another note is that people seem to focus on the advantages of height and disadvantages of a lack of height with no real consideration of the opposite side, short guys find it easier to get low, are "naturally" quicker and more agile, have lower centers of gravity, are less of a target when getting hit and in this day and age are different to what people are used to facing. You never hear that flip side of the equation and I certainly get the feeling with the way the game is changing(less contact, more speed) that we are going to see more and more undersized guys excel.
                          Agree with this entirely + rep

Comment

Yup Troy Smith is showing tonight what I was saying earlier in this thread. His accuracy is just horrific. Smith is not a potential starting QB in this league. He could develop into a top notch backup who can come in for trick plays but he isn't a future starter.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
                            http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
                            Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
                            http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966

Comment

Originally posted by Sniper View Post
                              God bless you, Sal. **** Troy Smith.
                              lol

Comment

Originally posted by Shockey+Manning=Shocking View Post
                                If that's the case scouts wouldn't make it an issue. There would be a physical attributes section, or statements like " he has great size as a good" or prototypical size. If that's the case then why hasn't someone 6 or shorter been drafting high on a consistent basis.

Just think of it this way, your system would have to be very limited, and you'd need a lot of sprint out, roll out, protections and plays. Could it work? Yeah, but it's just a hard thing in my opinion.

Why aren't there 5'10 offensive linemen? If the guy has the strength, technique and weight why don't we see a lot more of those guys? Scouts really do look for that.
                                Nick Cole (aka Fire hydrant) poops on you head for such statements. lol

Once again though, exception to the rule.

I don't think height is as big of an issue as some guys believe, as you can make up for lack of height or weight with how you play and technique, but it is something to be addressed. If you have those disadvantages and don't compensate for it with how you play or your technique, then it is an issue, and a major one. But there are instances where people without ideal measurables have the right talent, style and work ethic, as well as understanding of their position to make it work. But those instances are rare. They can happen, and I don't like to downgrade guys too much because of size issues because of it. It is defintely something that is important, though not as big of an issue as some suggest.
                                Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir is a goddess

Rest in Peace, themaninblack

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information