The scoreboard in Dallas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I still have to ask the question...

Why would anyone punt down the middle of the field?

Cowboys punter Mat McBriar said the only instance in which he would hit the screen would be a shank because he, and any other punter, are aiming towards one of the sidelines.

Traposo just sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Burns336 View Post
      I still have to ask the question...

Why would anyone punt down the middle of the field?

Cowboys punter Mat McBriar said the only instance in which he would hit the screen would be a shank because he, and any other punter, are aiming towards one of the sidelines.

Traposo just sucks.
      if u try to hit it as far as u can u try to not worry about the sidelines

Comment

That isn't a homefield advantage, it is just a nuisance.

Comment

Originally posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
          if u try to hit it as far as u can u try to not worry about the sidelines
          No one just tries to punt as far as they can....

Plenty of punters can punt the ball much further than they actually do. The point is for them to not give the return man a running start and unlimited running space (which the returner would have if he received the ball in the middle of the field)

Instead, they try to give the coverage unit enough time to get to the return man, while pinning him near the sideline (effectively giving him only 1 direction to run; away from the sideline)

it's not just a case of "let me boot this thing as far as I can"

Comment

Originally posted by Burns336 View Post
            No one just tries to punt as far as they can....

Plenty of punters can punt the ball much further than they actually do. The point is for them to not give the return man a running start and unlimited running space (which the returner would have if he received the ball in the middle of the field)

Instead, they try to give the coverage unit enough time to get to the return man, while pinning him near the sideline (effectively giving him only 1 direction to run; away from the sideline)

it's not just a case of "let me boot this thing as far as I can"
            yea, idk where that brain fart came from, but they try to kick it as far as they can while giving it a great hangtime so that the coverage can get there. Great hangtime = high punt. I doensnt really matter though why they hit it, the fact that u can hit it is a travesty

Comment

Yes, this is much more of a problem with the scoreboard placement than it is that the punter hit it. It's not so much that the punter might not be great, but the fact that it can be hit. No punter is perfect, so even that one time a season that they do hit the scoreboard is enough to say it's a terrible layout.

Comment

Me thinks Jerra might be overcompensating for something else of his that isn't very big...

Comment

I love it. Anything that pisses Jerry Jones off is awesome.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack

Comment

Jerry's board isn't moving at least not until Bono comes to Arlington.

http://startelegramsports.typepad.co...deo-board.html

http://www.star-telegram.com/528/story/1566941.html

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...124a4f032.html

It seems to indicate this could be revisited after this season to possibly change the 85 foot league specification.
                    Last edited by dpl85; 08-28-2009, 10:39 AM.

Comment

In all fairness to Jerry, he put it higher than the league asked him to and it still became an obstacle.

Comment

I love how this is such a hot topic. If he isn't required to move it per NFL regulations, then he doesn't need to move it. Its as simple as that. People love to get on Jones' case whenever possible, but he has done nothing wrong, and everyone and their mom want to throw him under the bus becuase of this. Im not Jerry Jones' biggest fan at all, I think he is the embodiment of "stuck-up white-collar". Also Cowboys' play-by-play man Brad Sham (who has been doing his job for over 30 years) said AS SOON as the ball left Trapasso's foot that the punt looked like it would be quite short(because of how vertical it was) and speculated right on the spot that he was trying to hit the scoreboard. Now lets hear your thoughts on that, and don't tell me "Oh well Sham IS the COWBOYS play-by-play man so OF COURSE he would say that!" Give me a better reason than that.

Comment

Originally posted by bigmac076 View Post
                          I love how this is such a hot topic. If he isn't required to move it per NFL regulations, then he doesn't need to move it. Its as simple as that. People love to get on Jones' case whenever possible, but he has done nothing wrong, and everyone and their mom want to throw him under the bus becuase of this. Im not Jerry Jones' biggest fan at all, I think he is the embodiment of "stuck-up white-collar". Also Cowboys' play-by-play man Brad Sham (who has been doing his job for over 30 years) said AS SOON as the ball left Trapasso's foot that the punt looked like it would be quite short(because of how vertical it was) and speculated right on the spot that he was trying to hit the scoreboard. Now lets hear your thoughts on that, and don't tell me "Oh well Sham IS the COWBOYS play-by-play man so OF COURSE he would say that!" Give me a better reason than that.
                          Uh, if I remember correctly during the pre-game they said BOTH punters were hitting the scoreboard before the game with regularity on the Fox broadcast.

And yeah, it kind of is a sham to take anything the play by play man from the home team says seriously, regardless of who it is or what team he is broadcasting for. Pretty much all pre-season broadcasters are homers because thats what they're paid to do.
                          (shameless self-promotion)
                          Like video games? Subscribe to my Youtube Channel!
                          https://www.youtube.com/user/Forenci

Comment

Originally posted by Forenci View Post
                            Uh, if I remember correctly during the pre-game they said BOTH punters were hitting the scoreboard before the game with regularity on the Fox broadcast.
                            That's because they were aiming for it. It's not like they were taking real ingame punts during the warm ups. They were having a game of tag the video screen.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul View Post
                              That's because they were aiming for it. It's not like they were taking real ingame punts during the warm ups. They were having a game of tag the video screen.
                              Were they? I don't remember if they showed them actually punting so I can't say. Nonetheless, if both punters can hit it with regularity in pre-game warm ups I would say that there are still going to be plenty of instances when a punter isn't trying to drill it and it does happen.
                              (shameless self-promotion)
                              Like video games? Subscribe to my Youtube Channel!
                              https://www.youtube.com/user/Forenci

Comment

The NFL has ruled that the down will be replayed and clock will be reset if a football hits the massive video display board that hangs over the field at Cowboys Stadium.
                                Perhaps the key piece of the ruling, issued Friday morning, is that it is only for this season. The league can review it after the season.
                                By setting the video boards 90 feet above the field, the Cowboys cleared the current league standard by 5 feet. But this action indicates the 85-foot rule might be re-examined in the offseason, which could force the first major renovation to the $1.15 billion stadium.
                                This could work to some punters advantage. If I were a punter and I was getting rushed, I would just kick it straight at the screen if possible and then just replay the down and hope my blocking or snap is better the next time. Also couldn't a qb pretty much throw the ball at the screen and not get called for intentional grounding? I see more problems ahead with this, should be interesting.

Stedman Bailey 2012 Stat Tracker:
                                12 Games, 106 Rec, 1501 yards, 23 TD's

Steddy Ambition!
                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOnISzeG2Ao

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information