No announcement yet.

Biggest Rivlary in the NFL?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the best rivalries in the NFL are the one's in a given era between the two top dogs in the division. In the 70's, the Raiders and Steelers was an amazing rivalry becuase they were battling it out every year to see who would go to the Super Bowl. Same with the Cowboys and 49ers in the 90's and the Patriots and Colts in the 2000's. The Steelers and Ravens seem to have a rivalry like that starting. Although those rivalries may not having the same staying power as others, they are the best and most intense while they last.

Comment

Ravens-Steelers has recently been the most fun rivalry to watch. You can feel the intensity and passion on every play.
      I'm a state.

Comment

I'll cast my vote with Ravens v Steelers as the present favorite

2 years ago it was the Pats Colts. But I don't think it'll return to that. There are more great QBs in the league now (Brees, Warner, Rivers, Roethlisberger specifically) that the Pats Colts don't have the same luster anymore.

PS: Imagine if the league never added the Texans, and the Colts were still in the AFC east. That would have been epic.

Comment

I searched best NFL rivlaries and this came up

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/arti...-nfl-rivalries

also a good link about the history of the Ravens-Steelers rivlary

http://www.afc-north.com/rivalry/pitbal.html

Comment

Surprised to see so many on the Steelers-Ravens bandwagon right now. Back in 2005, I remember when Steelers-Bengals was being touted as the AFC next great rivalry. The Ravens erratic nature (2005: 6-10, 2006: 13-3, 2007: 5-11, 2008: 13-3) has somewhat discredited this rivalry to me as it really takes its dips and probably peaked last season. Hell, up to last season the Bengals had taken 6 of 7 from the Ravens.

I think in the past half-decade nothing tops the Colts-Patriots rivalry in the AFC. Since 2003, the two have played three times in the playoffs and every year in the regular season. The Patriots won two out of three of the playoff matchups; I should mention that the winning team won the Super Bowl after each of those playoff victories. The regular season series since 03' is 3-3. Six out of nine of those games were separated by a touchdown or less, including the last four.

Eagles-Cowboys is as spirited a rivalry as ever. Any Eagles fan from Philly knows that there is no greater joy than beating the Cowboys twice and no greater shame than losing to Dallas in Philly. A deep hatred for Dallas is ingrained at birth and respect for "America's team" is lost on the city of Philadelphia. Though the Giants may be a more competitive rival in the present day, a bigger threat in almost every way, the rivalry remains strongest against Dallas. It's a mindset and hatred unlike any other. I am a diehard Bengals fan with very little hometown bias or even a soft spot in my heart for the Eagles, but the exposure and first-hand experience in this rivalry is not lost on me. Dallas-Philly will be the premier rivalry to true Philadelphians.

In the NFC, I don't have a whole lot of respect for any rivalry outside of the NFC East where Eagles-Cowboys, Redskins-Cowboys, and Eagles-Giants are all very good. Packers-Bears has some great history, but as of late has been hit or miss.

In the AFC, I like quite a few. Patriots-Colts is my favorite. The AFC West is too erratic year to year to even establish a great rivalry at this time. I think Colts-Titans is a good one right now with their contrasting styles. In the AFC North, right now it's Ravens-Steelers, but as I said in 2005 and 2006 it was Bengals-Steelers.

Any historians or Browns homers that want to say Browns-Steelers is still a great rivalry have to look at the facts... The Browns haven't beaten the Steelers since 2003 and are a grand total of 3-18 against their arch nemesis since their re-inception in 1999. Chiefs-Raiders is another great historical series cloaked by mediocrity in the past five to seven years.

big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
            - For daily NFL draft coverage:
            www.twitter.com/ryanlownes

Comment

I don't think there's any games out there that can raise a crime rate quite like the Battle of the Bay.

Comment

Jaguars-Steelers has cooled some ever since the realignment, but honestly I can't think of any other rivalry in the NFL that produces great games as consistently as matchups between those two teams.

Comment

Indy Vs. NE i always love that matchup

Comment

right at this moment its got to be packers vikings

Comment

Not sure about the biggest rivalry in the NFL, a few equals to choose from.

But the Steelers are easily the most quoted team when talking rivalries. At least for the AFC. It seems almost every AFC team has some claim to rights as the Steeler's biggest rival. Something the team and fans should be proud of.

Comment

The entire NFC East.

Bears vs Packers

Chiefs vs Raiders

Comment

really. not mentioning the definition of rivalry in packers/bears... dear OP, is a cardinal sin.

gtfo.

over the course of history, it is the NFL equivalent (as a whole through pre 60's too) of yankees-red sox... and goes back almost as far... sure... you can all look and say 'what is the series been like the past 5 years'... but rivalries aren't that... rivalries go back to your parents generation. the deep bitter rivalry that you can't break... how, if i meet a packers fan, first thing you do is scoff at them and call them a cheese-breather... it's natural because it's so deep seated... skins/cowboys is relatively new compared to bears/pack...
                          http://i38.tinypic.com/2aj2s7t.jpg
                          For a good time call (303) 499-7111.whitspacsig by steel man

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"

Comment

As of late, it has been the NFC East vs. the NFC East. They're always entertaining and seem to dominate the media on Sundays. Bears - Packers is definitely up there but if we're talking about right here, right now. Biggest rivalry has to be Vikings - Packers because of the storyline.

Comment

Originally posted by awfullyquiet View Post
                              really. not mentioning the definition of rivalry in packers/bears... dear OP, is a cardinal sin.

gtfo.

over the course of history, it is the NFL equivalent (as a whole through pre 60's too) of yankees-red sox... and goes back almost as far... sure... you can all look and say 'what is the series been like the past 5 years'... but rivalries aren't that... rivalries go back to your parents generation. the deep bitter rivalry that you can't break... how, if i meet a packers fan, first thing you do is scoff at them and call them a cheese-breather... it's natural because it's so deep seated... skins/cowboys is relatively new compared to bears/pack...
                              All the old school teams are the league's true rivalries. Bears/Giants go way back too.

Id say that Packers/Bears and the NFC East are the 2 deepest rivalries.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                                All the old school teams are the league's true rivalries. Bears/Giants go way back too.

Id say that Packers/Bears and the NFC East are the 2 deepest rivalries.
                                Raiders - Chiefs was once a big rivalry but neither seem to be able to finish over .500 on a consistent basis.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information