No announcement yet.

Patriots trade Richard Seymour to Raiders for 2011 First Round Pick

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Al probably figures he'll be dead by then. I guess the Pats really like Brace.

Comment

If Mario Henderson plays well at LT, the Raiders O-Line will not actually be that bad... Robert Gallery may be a bust at LT, but he is a very good OG in the NFL, and Samson Satele had a bad year in Miami only because Sparano's offense scheme did not fit him well but with the ZBS that the Raiders run he will play like he did his rookie year. Other than that, the offense is pretty scary, Run DMC, Michael Bush, Fargas are all good runningbacks. They don't have a true #1 WR, but Johnnie Lee Higgins is a very underrated player, as is Chaz Schillens, if DHB is anything close to what Al Davis thinks he is that is not a horrible trio. Lastly, they have an excellent TE in Zach Miller who has hands of glue, and blocks pretty damn well, if he was faster he'd be a top 5 TE in the league.

The defense doesn't look all that bad, if they can play at a respectable level I think this Raiders team is being underrated right now. The last if that needs to be dealt with is how well JaMarcus Russell will play, if he plays well I do not think that it is out of the realm of possibilities that the Raiders can go 8-8 or 9-7, especially in a weak AFC West, and maybe even win the division if the Chargers go ahead and play like they did last season.
      Last edited by Malaka; 09-06-2009, 10:14 AM.

Bone Krusher, the best

Comment

just wow...

Comment

I hate seeing Seymour go more than anyone, he was a rookie our first Super Bowl year and has been a dominant force on the DL. He set a standard for 3-4 ends and was the centerpiece of our defense I would say. This is sad because it makes me think we really are trying to go towards the 4-3 more.

He was a FA after this year and I was pretty sure he was gone (need to sign Wilfrok and Mankins) so I'm sure the coaching staff wanted to get something for him now, but this just hurts. Big Rich won't look right in any other uniform.

DON'T TRADE THE ******* DRAFT PICK!!! DRAFT SOMEONE WITH IT!!!

Comment

Every year is the year the Raiders defense is supposed to step up and be a respectable unit. It's hard not to love them on paper, but until they step up and show they're capable of what everyone thinks I won't hold my breath.

Originally posted by fenikz
            His soft D really turns me off
            ** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **

Comment

Originally posted by vidae-KC View Post
              Every year is the year the Raiders defense is supposed to step up and be a respectable unit. It's hard not to love them on paper, but until they step up and show they're capable of what everyone thinks I won't hold my breath.
              The defense is not what's impressing me right now, its the offense, that unit has the potential to be scary, and if the Raiders defense can play respectable, we know they are pretty good against the pass, but with the addition of Seymour they will vastly improve against the run. Tommy Kelly does not deserve the contract Al gave him but he is not a horrible player either, Seymour and Kelly paired on the middle would provide a pretty good run D at least up the middle.

Bone Krusher, the best

Comment

Sad to see Seymour go, but unlike most Pats fans here, I love the move.

He would've been gone this year anyway, and this frees up space to extend wilfork and/or Mankins.

That's a 2011 Top Ten pick, which can be traded, or if a rookie pay scale is instituted becomes REALLY valuable. I think Brace/Burgess/Green will do fine, especially given the 4-3 looks this preseason.

Seymour was beginning to slow down, but is still a dominant tackle, the Pats must be confident in that DL rotation. I personally love this move.
                Breed's QB Philosophy:
                Originally posted by Breed
                At the end of the day...

Mobility > Accuracy

Comment

You've got to be kidding me.

Thank you XxXDragonXxX for the Avatar!

Comment

Anyone sitting back and thinking this is a good move for the Raiders and bad for the Pats is just crazy right now...

For one, Seymour only has a year left on his deal iirc. And there was no word that the Raiders signed him to an extension as part of the trade, so he very well could be gone by the time the 2011 draft even happens. You'd hope that the Raiders aren't that stupid but....they probably are.

And for the Pats, you get something in return for a guy who would have been tough to resign after this season anyway. Wilfork is younger and arguably more critical to the success of their defense, so extending him is far more important.

And let's not forget, this is the Pats. Love them or hate them, they get **** done and keep right on rolling. Next player will step in and we might not even notice a difference...

Comment

2011 is interesting. Raiders need to draft Cody in 2010 and build the 3-4

DE Kelly
                      NT Cody
                      DE Seymour
                      Taking a Knapp.

Comment

Originally posted by BradysKnee View Post
                        That's a 2011 Top Ten pick, which can be traded, or if a rookie pay scale is instituted becomes REALLY valuable. I think Brace/Burgess/Green will do fine, especially given the 4-3 looks this preseason.
                        Thats an ignorant statement, not to say that Im surprised its coming from a Pats fan though.

Comment

Holy ****, just got woken up at 8 am after getting drunk off my ass for this. Seymour is a good fit for us. Al finaly realized the dline sucks, so we get a Pro Bowler to play DT or DE. We also are close to signing vet DT Alfonso Boone who in a 4-3 is a alright run stopper

Ellis Kelly Boone/Warren Seymour on running downs

Ellis Kelly Seymour Scott on passing downs

Pretty respectable dline IMO. Biggest thing for me though is we resign him. 4 year deal for probably around 40-60 mil sounds accurate. Also we might not have a salery cap so that allows us to resign our good players

I really believe by 2011, we will be much improved, Russell will be getting in stride, DMC and Bush will be running all over the field, Chaz if healthy will be looking raw, DHB will look good running straight(lol), Miller will be one of the top TE's, and hopefully our oline is solid. No we wont be superbowl contenders, but we shouldnt be picking top 15 hopefully

"Just Win Baby"- Al Davis
                          @SirStackAlot707

Comment

It makes sense for the Pats because he was a FA after this year and he was probably going to be the odd man out with Wilfork and Mankins needing to be signed, but it still sucks to see us lose Seymour. He has been a monster ever since he came here and will be missed terribly.

Comment

Honestly I think this is a fantastic move for the Raiders.

You've got a young offense that is developing quickly with Jamarcus Russell, Michael Bush, Darren McFadden, Johnnie Lee-Higgins, Chaz Schilens and Zach Miller. That is a ton of talent and I didn't even account for DHB. If Jamarcus pulls it together this season, watch the Raiders offense because their offensive line is solid and they have explosive options all over the field.

Their main weakness was run defense, especially up the middle and I think that brining in Richard Seymour helps fix that. I think we all remember that he was drafted sixth overall as a DT out of Georgia. He will help take some double teams up the middle, penetrate the middle and keep the lineman off of Morrison and Howard. And with the secondary as good as it is with Aso the defense is a lot more complete right now in Oakland, not great but at least they won't get run over completely now. It also provides leadership and experience to a team where there is no clear cut leader.

But for New England I am left scratching my head. Who replaces him at DE? Jarvis Green? Are they really that confident in him, that they think he can replace the best 3-4 end in the NFL? I think the Patriots just lost a leader and a HUGE part of their defense. But it likely means that they are going to keep Vince Wilfork around with the money saved. But regardless, you don't just move a talent like Seymour on a dime like that especially when your replacement is Jarvis Green, who is good but no where near as good as Seymour.

Comment

Originally posted by superman8456 View Post
                                Thats an ignorant statement, not to say that Im surprised its coming from a Pats fan though.
                                Who are you kidding honestly

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information