Stafford named starting QB

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stafford named starting QB

Matthew Stafford has been named the starting QB for the Lions. Discuss.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4452545

Thanks BoneKrusher!

Well he can't do any worse than Carr did. Calvin will save him.

Comment

Bad choice.

Comment

I don't like the move to be honest. I felt Culpepper was a bit better from what I saw this preseason. Stafford and the Lions are going to take their lumps early that's for sure. I just hope he doesn't get killed behind that line. Patience is key with Stafford.
        Credit to BoneKrusher for the Sig
        RIP themaninblack

Comment

I don't see the big problem in the move. They drafted him for a reason and if it looks like he can't grasp on to the speed then just take him out and put Culpepper in for a couple of weeks.

BoneKruser with the DOPE sig

Comment

Culpepper is hurt right now, right? Something about stitches and violent carpeting...

Comment

It's risky but believe me folks, Stafford has things that Daunte does not have.

Daunte's foot injury might be coming into play here, but assuming it's not, the Lions are showing that they are letting it all hang out and going after the reward of big plays. Also, Stafford to CJ will scare teams more and open up the run game. As long as Matt can keep the TD-to-INT ratio around 1-1 and avoid getting hurt, I believe it's the right move.

Edit: CC.SD - Carr? What?! I oughta hit your rep for that. But I'll be nice, it's a holiday.
              Last edited by Calvin & Kevin; 09-07-2009, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Daunte isn't going to be 100% to start the season so I'm sure the injury probably played a part in it. Culpepper was better in the preseason, but not so much better that he significantly improves our chances to win. Stafford will be fine, he's ready.

Comment

I like what I saw from Stafford, but I would've liked to go with Culpepper for at least the first half of the year.

We're gonna have a bad year either way, so might as well get Stafford some experience I suppose. Our defense will be pretty bad and I don't think we'll have a very good run game (not high on Kevin Smith) but as long as Stafford throws it to Calvin every play we should have a chance to win some games.

Comment

Stafford will throw a lot of Interceptions and shouldn't be starting unless Culpepper is a no go.Personally, I think Stafford should sit the whole year unless injuries come into play. He is not close to being able to start at this time. Teams run the exhibition season with vanilla defenses showing very little of what they will use during the regular season. Stafford will have a huge adjustment to reading the defense quickly and picking up his secondary receivers. It is going to be ugly until he learns to read defenses and find his secondary receivers quickly.
                    And proud of it!!!

Comment

People said this about Matty Ice last year...so you never know, it might work out ok.

Hes got some good young recievers around him, and i think Kevin Smith is going to be a good everydown back. If he can avoid mistakes, and utilize Megatron and Pettigrew properly, i can see him doing pretty well this year.

Comment

Pettigrew will be the key. That, and staying upright.

Comment

BTW, Lions fans, what's the story on Gosder Cherilus so far this offseason and preseason?
                          Credit to BoneKrusher for the Sig
                          RIP themaninblack

Comment

If he's going to play i'd dumb down the playbook (no Matt Millen jokes)and let him ease his way into things. Worst thing in the world is for him to have to throw 40 times and get beat up. Obviously he's the franchise at that position so i'd take it slow. For me i would have started Culpepper and look to around week 4 for Stafford to show up. Dollars seem to come into these decisions but for a guy who should be a senior at Georgia not the way i would have gone.

Comment

Gosder, and the whole line, has shown signs of improvement. In run blocking I think they will be middle of the road, and in pass pro they will still be below average but not the historically bad unit they've been.

I still think that Backus and Gosder will give up some clean shots at Stafford and that's where he's going to have to use his quick release and get used to getting rid of the ball in those cases. But I don't think it will be flat-out target practice like some people are expecting.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information