Average Ages of NFL teams

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TitanHope View Post
    This stat always seemed quite silly to me. It's always used as some moral victory or excuse.

I'd like to see a writer break down a roster more when they bring up age. See the average age of a team's starters, avg. age of a team's positional units (ie. OL, DL, DB's), etc. That'd be really cool.
    I think it's a better gauge at the bottom end of the list (youngest teams). Like the Packers for example, youngest team in the league, with an excellent set of receivers and a young QB who came very close in a lot of games in 08. Sets a tone for expectations of the future.

There's always a few players on teams who throw out averages, punters, kickers, QBs and the like, but I don't think there's many teams in the NFL without a few players who're mid to late 30s.

Comment

Patriots got a boost from losing Harrison, Vrabel, Bruschi, Seau etc... although they did add Galloway and Taylor.

Comment

Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
        Also, if you take Jeff Feagles off the Giants then we are actually probably in that 25-30 range.
        Every NFL team is in the range you specified. Feagles brings your team's average age up by about .4 years, which is a lot for one player.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
        <Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge

Comment

Originally posted by Dam8610 View Post
          Every NFL team is in the range you specified. Feagles brings your team's average age up by about .4 years, which is a lot for one player.
          I didn't mean age wise. I meant 25-30 in the actual rankings. Since I know you're right, then I'm correct because then we'd be 29th.
          #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by BlindSite View Post
            I think it's a better gauge at the bottom end of the list (youngest teams). Like the Packers for example, youngest team in the league, with an excellent set of receivers and a young QB who came very close in a lot of games in 08. Sets a tone for expectations of the future.

There's always a few players on teams who throw out averages, punters, kickers, QBs and the like, but I don't think there's many teams in the NFL without a few players who're mid to late 30s.
            I agree. I think being Top 5 Youngest and Top 5 Oldest can be significant, but the difference between those teams inbetween in insignificant.

I like how ya bolded the previous year's Playoff teams though, Blind. If anything, Youth proportionate to success is key in this statistic. Bodes extra well for the Colts and Panthers who did achieve that success despite being young.
            Still Team The Ke$ha!!!

[@TDWinstead]
            Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
            Damn Ke$ha is sexy.

Comment

I'm surprised to see the Panthers and Packers so low.

Packers I thought would be higher given the age in their secondary, but I guess this bodes really well for the future considering how close a lot of their games were last year.
              This is the 4th straight year that the Packers have been the youngest team in the league. Shouldn't be a surprise by now.

Comment

Does this count punters? If so its kinda skewed the Giants have the oldest guy in the NFL lol! FEAGLES FTW!!!

Bone Krusher, the best

Comment

Originally posted by Malaka View Post
                  Does this count punters? If so its kinda skewed the Giants have the oldest guy in the NFL lol! FEAGLES FTW!!!
                  Echo on this one Malaka.
                  #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
                    Echo on this one Malaka.
                    Lmao didn't read the thread just the first post -_-.

Bone Krusher, the best

Comment

Originally posted by GB12 View Post
                      This is the 4th straight year that the Packers have been the youngest team in the league. Shouldn't be a surprise by now.
                      About 3 years ago it was tennessee, it's rare to see a team remain toward the bottom for youth.

Comment

About 3 years ago it was tennessee, it's rare to see a team remain toward the bottom for youth.
                        No, 3 years ago Green Bay was the youngest; Tennessee was second. 2006, 2007, 2008, and 2009 the Packers have been the youngest team in the NFL.

The Green Bay Packers will remain as the National Football League's youngest team for the third consecutive season, it was announced by the league office Wednesday.

Based on an analysis of NFL Kickoff Weekend rosters, the Green Bay Packers and Kansas City Chiefs are tied for the youngest roster with an average age of 25.57 years.

Last season, Green Bay's average roster age of 25.72 years on Kickoff Weekend was the youngest in the NFL. Indianapolis placed second with an average roster age of 25.74 years.

In 2006, the Packers' average roster age of 25.57 years was the youngest in the league. Tennessee, with an average roster age of 25.77 years, was second.
                        http://www.packers.com/news/releases/2008/09/10/1/

Comment

My bad, my point remains though, it's unusual for a team to remain that young, or continuously get younger for this amount of time.

Comment

Jaguars have been young for awhile. the average includes oldies like Tra Thomas and Torry Holt btw

by BoneKrusher
                            <DG> how metal unseen
                            <TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that

Comment

Carolina has Mushin who's 36, Kasay who's 40, Delhomme's 34, Hoover who's 33, Damoine Lewis, Keydrick Vincent, Peppers, Smith, Diggs, who're all 30 or above too.

There's plenty of vets north of 30 even on young teams. I think it's more about the average age of the depth more so than the starters.

I know in Carolina's case almost all of the backups are in their early 20s.

Almost all the backups along both lines, linebackers, secondary and receivers are under 25 bar one or two.

Comment

Carolina has Mushin who's 36, Kasay who's 40, Delhomme's 34, Hoover who's 33, Damoine Lewis, Keydrick Vincent, Peppers, Smith, Diggs, who're all 30 or above too.

There's plenty of vets north of 30 even on young teams. I think it's more about the average age of the depth more so than the starters.

I know in Carolina's case almost all of the backups are in their early 20s.

Almost all the backups along both lines, linebackers, secondary and receivers are under 25 bar one or two.
                                That's a good point. The Jaguars always seem to opt for younger, "farm product" depth systems than vet depth systems - start the experienced guy and keep some younger guys around as depth to gain experience and provide competition.

by BoneKrusher
                                <DG> how metal unseen
                                <TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information