Tidbits you probably don't know

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
    i think this is very interesting for all the fans that said that Cutler mostly had a clean pocket and didnt have to move around a lot/or face a lot of pressure
    Yeah, Denver weren't too bad, but they missed a lot of sacks being recorded through cutler's brilliance.

Originally posted by eaglesalltheway View Post
    I think I remember hearing that though Denver gave up the fewest sacks last year, they also had the most QB pressures or something like that. Another thing Cutler didn't get credit for in Denver... elusiveness. He also is able to get the ball out and make a sack into an incompletion, or a completion isn some cases.
    There are a few teams like that Indianapolis was a middle of the pack team for allowing pressure, but top for allowing sacks, Carolina was bottom three for allowing pressure but I think 9th in Sacks allowed.

There's a few teams out there with a similar situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Jakey View Post
      Stats arent everything.
      I agree! I hate stats so much, and this fantasy football hype now that's taken off isn't helping!

Comment

tony romo had the best qb rating in the 4. quarter with 114,7

kwame harris led the league in false starts with 15 (big surprise)

Comment

Originally posted by BlindSite View Post
          Sheldon Brown (PHI) [/B]was thrown to less than Astante Samuel (PHI), allowed less TDs and gave up 12% less completions.
          I'm just sayin'.

Comment

Originally posted by njx9
            that's not even remotely true.

i'm curious if you can quantify "a lot" by anything other than the pressures number. what is being counted as a pressure? is it a pressure if it comes after 6 seconds? or only before 4-5?
            Cutler is a big mobile dude who moved around a heck of a lot and avoided would be sacks. If a rusher breaks free and the QB avoids getting dumped on his ass it's a pressure. I'll find the numbers.

Comment

Good stuff about Corey Webster. I felt he was a top 5 CB in the league last year. He was absolutely dominant.

He's basically a clone to Terrance Newman when Newman was younger and healthy. He has the same game.

Ross on the other hand, had a disappointing season.

Comment

these are some interesting tid bits.

Comment

Originally posted by BlindSite View Post
                  Chad Pennington (MIA) is the NFL's all time leader in completion percentage with 66%. For having a noodle arm his Passer rating over 20 yard completions is [B]91.6
                  Originally posted by awfullyquiet View Post
                  This is why I love giving pennington credit, for not having a jamarcus russell like arm, but still able to put the ball where he wants it... over 66% completion rate... and how does that make the team work? a very surprising 11-5, which, as much as it's a resurgent defense, it's completing passes, not having cleo lemon, good 3rd down conversion rates... This is what makes a quarterback, not measurables, not intangibles, just ability to put the biscuit in the basket and make drives happen.

i think i beat you on the stat by like 2 days :)

but, in reality, how do you not put pennington as a top 10 qb in a situation like that... passer rating right behind manning and brady... sure, he make the most in his role, which is slightly unorthodox, but.. i really think he was underrated leaving the jets, and underrated on the dolphins.
                  http://i38.tinypic.com/2aj2s7t.jpg
                  For a good time call (303) 499-7111.whitspacsig by steel man

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"

Comment

Ive seen Chad Pennington work his magic the entire time he was with the Jets.

The problem with Chad was he didnt have the arm to survive in Jersey. People just don't understand how hard it is to throw at Giants stadium. Theres a reason why the Jets and Giants have had only Joe Namath and Phil Simms for the past 40 years.

And because of his noodle arm, he couldn't lead your team to a comeback in a 2 minute drill. Put those 2 together, and it just wasn't going to work.

But in Miami, he resurrected his career bc of the weather and he finally was healthy. But even then, he couldnt lead a team when they were down 2 scores in a game. See the Baltimore playoff game as an example.

He's a good qb. But I don't think you can win a championship with him. I like him as a rent-a-qb while your team develops a young guy. Parcells is doing it right in Miami.

Comment

no one's arguing that. he said he didn't get credit for it in denver. he got credit for it everywhere, it's not like it was a big secret.
                      Perhaps bad choice of words for me. In any case, I was emphasizing his mobility and how he is more elusive than a lot of people think. He is by no means a scrambling QB, but has good short area quickness that enables him to avoid tacklers and make plays.
                      Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir is a goddess

Rest in Peace, themaninblack

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                        He's a good qb. But I don't think you can win a championship with him. I like him as a rent-a-qb while your team develops a young guy. Parcells is doing it right in Miami.
                        This or build a team around him. Pennington has many skill sets, if you find a way to emphasis them and hide his weaknesses, then you could easily win a championship with him.

Either way though, I agree that Parcells is doing it right. Regardless of who ultimately becomes the franchise guy down in Miami (they're semi grooming Henne, experimenting with White and it's possible they even draft a guy sometime in the future), Pennington is a -great- filler, I'd take him over 12-16 of the current starting QBs in the league.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                          The problem with Chad was he didnt have the arm to survive in Jersey. People just don't understand how hard it is to throw at Giants stadium. Theres a reason why the Jets and Giants have had only Joe Namath and Phil Simms for the past 40 years.
                          Manning put up the exact same home/away differential as Pennington, Namath, Simms, Collins...

Comp %
                          Pennington, home/away: 65.7%, 66.3%
                          Namath, home/away: 49.1%, 51.1%
                          Manning, home/away: 54.3%, 57.5%
                          Simms, home/away: 55.2%, 55.6%
                          Collins, home/away: 57.2%, 58.5%

all are around 1.5% worse at home than on the road...

Pennington at Miami on the other hand is...
                          65.9% at home, and 69.2% on the road.

Curious?

I think not. Maybe in the kicking game, where wind velocity is MUCH more an issue (due to wind shear forces acting upon a non aerodynamic object)... in the passing game, i don't believe for a second arm strength is an especially valuable commodity especially at the meadowlands...
                          http://i38.tinypic.com/2aj2s7t.jpg
                          For a good time call (303) 499-7111.whitspacsig by steel man

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"

Comment

no one's arguing that. he said he didn't get credit for it in denver. he got credit for it everywhere, it's not like it was a big secret.

*shrug* this is why stats are worthless. if it's a pressure after 10 seconds, who cares, the qb or wr should've done something already. if it's only a pressure before that, then it's a far more relevant stat. and i'm not arguing it one way or another, or suggesting that the pressure numbers "shouldn't count". but the metrics used would be interesting.
                            I didn't write the stats, I just gathered them, it's stuff I've had kicking around that was going to be part of a bigger article I don't have time to write.

AS I said to MOTH, Stats, I agree, are just part of the picture.

Comment

A RB who caused the most misses isn't necessarily the most elusive. RB's with more carries are gonna have more opportunities to make defenders miss.

Comment

Originally posted by awfullyquiet View Post
                                Manning put up the exact same home/away differential as Pennington, Namath, Simms, Collins...

Comp %
                                Pennington, home/away: 65.7%, 66.3%
                                Namath, home/away: 49.1%, 51.1%
                                Manning, home/away: 54.3%, 57.5%
                                Simms, home/away: 55.2%, 55.6%
                                Collins, home/away: 57.2%, 58.5%

all are around 1.5% worse at home than on the road...

Pennington at Miami on the other hand is...
                                65.9% at home, and 69.2% on the road.

Curious?

I think not. Maybe in the kicking game, where wind velocity is MUCH more an issue (due to wind shear forces acting upon a non aerodynamic object)... in the passing game, i don't believe for a second arm strength is an especially valuable commodity especially at the meadowlands...

Its easy to throw a high completion percentage when youre throwing 5 yard passes to TEs and RBs half the time.

Ive seen enough of Chad Pennington in the 5 or so years he was in Jersey to know what he is. Ask any Jet fan if you don't believe me.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information