Tidbits you probably don't know

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by awfullyquiet View Post
    Because stats tell you nothing about how a game is played? How players play?
    Man, that Eli Manning's stats are awful, but he's so good as a QB.

I'm not a stat lover by any stretch of imagination. I'm passionate about the offensive line and defensive line play of teams, what stats do you use with that? Not much. I like integrating stats into thoughts to at least provide numerical context to what I say. I understand that stats in football are not like stats in baseball, that the possibilities of the game are more along the lines of 11! than the 18 possible end scenarios of a pitch event (k, strikeout, popup, ground ball, flyball, line drive, bloop, ball, walk, hit batsman, passed ball, wild pitch, foul, balk, pinch hit, relief pitching, home run, ground rule double, and rain delay). I realize that stats are the bane of your existence, but you're also trying to prove to me that you're more knowledgeable than I am in a purely subjective matter. I'm trying to add some more concrete proof of my correctness at your commonly held fallacy. Can't fault me in that.

As far as being sarcastic about you watching jets and giants game. That's my intention to be sarcastic, but to call my post 'all sorts of fail' is indeed a bunch of ****.

You give this line.

I don't know if you watched that game. Pennington. Threw. Into. The. Wind.

And did just fine. THROWING. INTO. THE. WIND.

Sure, I'll concede that having a great arm will allow you to throw much further in the wind. But, no one's throwing 40 yards in 30mph wind anyway, because there's NO accuracy and it becomes a jump ball. How many games where the wind is over 35 mph do you see tons of passing? Ask the Steelers. Ask the Bears. Ask the Browns. So, having that 'arm' to pass in windy conditions are moot. In 10-20mph winds, Pennington could excel, in 25mph conditions, no one really has any better shot when you're throwing a .9 pound ball 40 yards with a 30 mph wind coming from the corner of an endzone or from one of the sidelines...

That's not stats. That's physics.
    omg, you still won't let it go?

first off, every stat in football doesn't tell the whole story, so while i understand using stats to make a point, its shakey at best considering any stat doesn't take into consideration scheme, line play, skill position talent, miscommunication on routes, etc.

to throw YPA stats at me like its the gospel is pretty foolish.

i never said i know more about football than you, but I do know I know more about Chad Pennington than you. Theres a difference. I watched him every sunday for 5 plus years. You seen him once a season (at best) for the past 5+ years.

Yes, I did watch that game. Funny you mention it. Bc both qbs looked pretty awful in that game. Pennington just happened to suck less. He had a couple of open WRs down field and missed them. He shouldve had 300 yards easy. The Jets gave him the deep ball all day.

You know why? BC HE CANT THROW IT. Mangini knew it. He coached the guy.

I'll give you a specific example. They ran 1 wildcat play where Chad threw to a wide open WR downfield and missed him completely. That right there wouldve sealed the game. But he screwed it up. Luckily Brett gave them the game.

They only won 24-17 after Brett threw 3 INTs, 1 for a TD btw. Chad was the same old Chad he always was in Jersey. His stat line made him look sooo much better than how he really played.

You act like Im saying Chad sucks. Chad doesn't suck, but he's not a qb you can win a SB with. Thats all there is to it.

If you want a caretaker qb who will do a decent job while you build your team for the future, go ahead and get Chad. But if you want a legit chance at the SB, you need a qb who can run a 2 minute drill.

Comment

• Chad can throw into the wind just fine, it's just that it comes back and hits him in the face sometimes.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
        tball than you, but I do know I know more about Chad Pennington than you. Theres a difference. I watched him every sunday for 5 plus years. You seen him once a season (at best) for the past 5+ years.
        Welcome to 2009. I wrote a huge TL DR in that I have the power of the internets to help me record every game. Ever. So. To say I haven't watched a TON of games is incredibly naive. I decided to cut down of every team i watch on a regular basis, how i have tv feeds from most games over the past 8 years... blah blah blah tldr.

Yes, I did watch that game. Funny you mention it. Bc both qbs looked pretty awful in that game. Pennington just happened to suck less. He had a couple of open WRs down field and missed them. He shouldve had 300 yards easy. The Jets gave him the deep ball all day.
        Do you understand what your saying? The jets gave him the deep ball, and he connected with Fasano and Ginn in the end zone for 20+ yards on each toss. He can't throw deep, BUT HE DID. That's what I don't get, I'm using empirical evidence, and you're trying to discount the events of the game? I remember the Wildcat play where Ronnie pitched the ball to Chad, Chad put it up to Ricky Williams... Ricky also didn't give him any favors on that play either... Didn't pay close attention to where the ball was and the play at hand. Subsequently, the ball followed where Ricky should have been, and ricky kept running. Second Quarter, Pennington went deep right and delivered the ball to Ginn in the end zone. Deep. Right. Up until that point (fyi, i got out my game binder so i'm not just rattling off what i remember), there were 3 short pass incompletions on two quick routes and one dumpoff pass. There were 5 short-mid range passes in the second quarter, and then when they went no huddle with about 4 minutes left to keep the tempo up, he hits 3 passes in a row, finishing with Ginn on a post route to the endzone. Yes, he threw it all 27 yards. In the wind. Then there was the Fleaflicker to Ginn down the middle that, i think he threw for 40 yards. Ginn got an extra 4 yards as he was coming down. And then again he went to Fasano who made a spetacular catch in the end zone. For 20 yards.

Most of his incompletions were under ten yards (5 of the 8 were under ten yards). He had 3 deep completions. Missed 3 times deep (one on that aformentioned wildcat play). So, he threw 50% on the deep ball. Not too bad.

They only won 24-17 after Brett threw 3 INTs, 1 for a TD btw. Chad was the same old Chad he always was in Jersey. His stat line made him look sooo much better than how he really played.
        They actually only had 7 points off of an interception. His first interception, The fins stalled through 6 minutes on the clock, gaining 55 yards, and punting. Merlin took one back for 6 in the second. His third pick came in the 4th giving the dolphins time to run the clock out with 5 minutes, they punt with under a minute to go.

You act like Im saying Chad sucks. Chad doesn't suck, but he's not a qb you can win a SB with. Thats all there is to it.

If you want a caretaker qb, go ahead and get Chad. But if you want a legit chance at the SB, you need a qb who can run a 2 minute drill.
        Why the 2 minute drill? I think that's arbitrary to the case. Sure, it's nice. But, i'd take 4th quarter comebacks over 2 minute drills any day. I also disagree that you need to have a QB who's great at 2 minute drills to have a legit chance at the superbowl. Sure, the last 2 of 3 games were close, and were decided in the last 5 minutes, not in the last 2 minutes. The last 2 minutes of the aformentioend Giants victory over the Patriots, were actually watching Tom Brady, the master of the 2 minute drill, not pull one off. So. I don't know how valid that nugget of information you choose to impart on the impressionable masses is... but, it's wrong.
        http://i38.tinypic.com/2aj2s7t.jpg
        For a good time call (303) 499-7111.whitspacsig by steel man

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"

Comment

Working...
        X

Debug Information