• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tidbits you probably don't know

I'm sick of threads that have the following:

Predict
    List your
    Who do you think is

So I decided to make this thread, took me a while going through a bunch of sources but here's some info ya'll probably don't know.

Steve Smith (CAR) was targeted 34% of passing snaps, highest in the NFL Brandon Marshall (DEN) was the NFL's most thrown to receiver nominally

Tony Gonzalez (ATL)
    blocked on average one passing play per game in 2008

Kellen Winslow (TB)
    Soldiered it up by blocking just 3 times on passing plays in 2008

Braylon Edwards (CLE) dropped over one third of all passes thrown his way

Larry Fitzgerald (Ari) is the NFL's most dependable primary target dropping just 3.14% of passes last year

Jared Gaither (BAL) only allowed 3 hits (1 sack) on his QB all season in 08

Johnathen Goodwin (NO) gave up the least amount of sacks for a C last year with 0

Greg White (TB) played a little over half the number of snaps as Gaines Adams (TB) yet recorded just 3 less hits on a QB and the same number of sacks

Jarrett Johnson (BAL) replacement to Adalius Thomas is probably the league's most versatile defender. Johnson played over 1,000 snaps last year at all 12 positions in the 34 and 43 (ILB/MLB x3, OLB x4, DE x4 and DT (43) at one time or another, the only exception NT in the 34.

Gerald Hayes (ARI) Played over 200 lass snaps than Karlos Dansby by finished with just 3 less stops.

Ahmad Bradshaw (NYG) and Derrick Ward (TB) both averaged more yards after contact than Brandon Jacobs (NYG)

Top 5 most elusive running backs (most missed tackles)
    1. DeAngelo Williams (CAR)
    2. Adrian Petersen (MIN)
    3. Michael Turner (ATL)
    4. Marshawn Lynch (BUF) 43
    5. Johnathan Stewart (CAR) 35

Pierre Thomas (NO) was stuffed at the line the least of any running back in the NFL

Despite having over 1,000 yards rushing Derrick Ward (TB) had as many TD's as Fumbles (2) last year.

When adjusted for Defensive opponent and situation by football outsiders Adrian Peterson ranks as the NFL's 17th best RB last year.

Over half of undrafted WR Davon Bess (MIA) Yards came after the catch. If not for his short area elusiveness he wouldn't have eclipsed 300 yards receiving or 5 yards per catch.

Sources:
    Football outsiders
    Pro Football Focus

EDIT:

Chad Pennington (MIA) is the NFL's all time leader in completion percentage with 66%. For having a noodle arm his Passer rating over 20 yard completions is 91.6

Of Fred Jackson's (BUF) 317 yards receiving in 2008 303 of them came after first contact.

Juqua Parker (PHI) had more QB pressures than all but four other players in the NFL.

Leroy Hill (SEA) missed half as many tackles as Julian Petersen (SEA) and one third as many as Lofa Tatupu (SEA)

Chris Gamble (CAR) was targeted more than any other corner in the NFL (124 times) by allowed only 56.6% of completions (less than Darelle Revis (NYJ) who allowed 58.3%). The 70 completed were for an average of 11.5 yards and only 3.6 YAC. Meaning Gamble allowed just 6.5 yards per attempt. Putting him at 9th best for coverage in the NFL.

Eric Wright (CLE) allowed the longest pass against him to go for 28 yards, better than anyone else in the NFL.

Scrabble (OAK) was in coverage on 486 plays last year, he was thrown to 30 times, of those 30 he allowed just 53% completion.

Last year David Garrard (JAC) suffered through 42 sacks and 47 dropped passes.

Greg Jones (JAC) was one of the best pass protectors in the league last year giving up just 2 pressures in 42 plays.

Derrick Mason (BAL) was one of the NFL's most dependable receivers with 68.4% of passes thrown his way hauled in.

Chad Greenway (MIN) should never be in coverage 84% of passes were completed against him, instead he should be turned loose against the QBs of the world (7 sacks) in 08.

Corey Webster (NYG) allowed just 40% of pass thrown his way to be completed, was thrown to the least in the NFL but still deflected more passes. He is the NFCs newest shutdown corner.

Sheldon Brown (PHI)
    was thrown to less than Astante Samuel (PHI), allowed less TDs and gave up 12% less completions.

Sack numbers only indicate when a QB is tackled with the ball for a loss behind the LOS, when pressured the ability of a QB falls 37 points (passer rating) effectively. When pressured, Peyton Manning becomes Brad Johnson.

The three best teams last year at preventing pressures from turning to sacks i.e, QBs able to avoid pass rushers once they get off blocks were:
    Indianapolis
    New Orleans

Denver
    Last edited by BlindSite; 09-08-2009, 02:50 AM.

Originally posted by BlindSite View Post
    Kellen Winslow (TB) Soldiered it up by blocking just 3 times on passing plays in 2008
    Quality stuff but thats definitely my favorite.

Comment

Jared Gaither (BAL) only allowed 3 hits (1 sack) on his QB all season in 08
      Because he's the most underrated LT in the NFL!!!!
      HALL OF FAMER!
      PUT ART MODELL IN THE HALL OF FAME!
      JUSTIN BLACKMON IS A GOLDEN GOD!

Xbox Live - Kevown8999

Comment

Stats arent everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Jakey View Post
          Stats arent everything.
          I'm the first one to agree with you on that, but when a Center doesn't give up a single sack all year, that is a good indicator of his pass protection abilities.

I've always believed stats will lead you in the direction of how a player performs, but will only tell you a small piece of the puzzle.

Now, Goodwin gave up no sacks, and some of that can be attirbuted to Brees efficient throwing, and him being deceptively elusive. But Goodwin still deserves a majority of the credit for not allowing a single sack all season.
          Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir is a goddess

Rest in Peace, themaninblack

Comment

Originally posted by Jakey View Post
            Stats arent everything.
            Indeed, but this thread is better than the cookie cutter "who do you think is..." threads.

Comment

I don't quite understand the Gonzalez one....is that good or bad? What would like, the average for a TE be?

Comment

Ineed, i just realised my post was a bit of a thread killer XD Soz guys.

On the other hand, concidering the Steelers offence wasnt especially great in any facets...id be interested to see some defensive stats there. Makes you wonder just how much, "defence wins championships."

Oh and good job btw BlindSite!

Comment

Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
                  I don't quite understand the Gonzalez one....is that good or bad? What would like, the average for a TE be?
                  VD stayed in around 14% of the time, one snap per game for gonzo per game is pretty small for a starting tight end, only K2 had less.

Comment

Originally posted by eaglesalltheway View Post
                    I'm the first one to agree with you on that, but when a Center doesn't give up a single sack all year, that is a good indicator of his pass protection abilities.

I've always believed stats will lead you in the direction of how a player performs, but will only tell you a small piece of the puzzle.

Now, Goodwin gave up no sacks, and some of that can be attirbuted to Brees efficient throwing, and him being deceptively elusive. But Goodwin still deserves a majority of the credit for not allowing a single sack all season.
                    Yah it's cool and all, but he's a center! Albert Haynesworth got $100 million because he's a good pass rusher as an interior lineman, that goes to show how rare that skill is. Most teams in the NFL don't have a guy line up right over the center and if they do it's to eat up a double team, because that's what centers do most of the time (double team). Gaither giving up 1 sack as a left tackle and only 3 hits is a billion times more impressive than a center not giving up a sack for a season.

sig by BoneKrusher

PACKERS BADGERS BREWERS BUCKS

Comment

Originally posted by eaglesalltheway View Post

He really doesn't. He's a decent pass blocker at once. No one outside of Brown and Evans do anything for me as pass blockers to be honest, Brees is insanely elusive in the pocket, and gets the ball out so quick.

I really would like to replace Goodwin a lot.
                      Originally posted by SNIPER26
                      fwiw, i amz deunks ofs myt ass. ilo vez drinmoinz befotre i post. wha t a hreat ideas.z.

Comment

Well, the Gonzalez one I read as "Tony Gonzalez had the most passing plays where he ran a route instead of blocking." Which, he being Tony Gonzalez, is perfectly understandable.

Comment

Originally posted by senormysterioso View Post
                          Yah it's cool and all, but he's a center! Albert Haynesworth got $100 million because he's a good pass rusher as an interior lineman, that goes to show how rare that skill is. Most teams in the NFL don't have a guy line up right over the center and if they do it's to eat up a double team, because that's what centers do most of the time (double team). Gaither giving up 1 sack as a left tackle and only 3 hits is a billion times more impressive than a center not giving up a sack for a season.
                          Agreed, especially considering that LTs go up against the elite pass rushers, and Centers do have it relatively easier in pass pro (I played OL). I wouldn't say its a billion times more impressive, because giving up 0 sacks is incredibly impressive, no matter at what position, but being a linemen myself, LTs get most of, if not all, the love, and I'm just giving some to my fellow interior O-linemen.

Also, Haynesworth isn't just an interior pass rusher, he does it all...

Comment

VD stayed in around 14% of the time, one snap per game for gonzo per game is pretty small for a starting tight end, only K2 had less.
                            I think you'll find that most of the good receiving tight ends are low on the list like Winslow and Gonzalez since they are usually one of the top two reads on any given passing play for their team and those two specifically were probably the most reliable targets on their teams last year and they both line up in the slot quite a bit as well (especially Gonzalez). Most of the passing plays that top tier receiving tight ends block in are probably play action passes or situational passing plays like inside your own 5 or 3 yard line where a sack will probably mean a change of possession and 2 points going to the other team. Kind of a weird stat.

Comment

Originally posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
                              He really doesn't. He's a decent pass blocker at once. No one outside of Brown and Evans do anything for me as pass blockers to be honest, Brees is insanely elusive in the pocket, and gets the ball out so quick.

I really would like to replace Goodwin a lot.
                              From watching the saints he is pretty much nothing in run blcoking, so I understand wanting to replace him for sure. But I don't care who you are, 0 sacks over a season (didn't he miss a game or two, not sure) even if it is 14 games is impressive, and very few linemen give up 0 sacks over a period of time that long.

As I said, Brees should get credit, and seniormysterioso spoke about the guards around him as factors as well, but also the factor of his competiton should be counted as well, and there aren't many premier interior pass rushing DL in the NFC south for him to go up against, and that plays a role in it as well. But the majority of the credit should go to Goodwin for giving up 0 sacks in that time.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information