No announcement yet.

Week 1 Sunday Write up

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you dislike the Colts Blindsite, you never give them a mention, I know that the game wasn't amazing, but come on, Reggie Wayne deserves a mention! Other than that, nice write up, good read :-)

XBox 360 Gamertag: Bunj1986

Comment

Agree completely on John Carlson. The sky is the limit for this kid. We are extremely lucky to have him.

Comment

Originally posted by SaintsMan View Post
        I don't know why everyone keeps saying the Saints Defense is still bad based on the Lions game. The Saints D after week 1 is ranked No.7 overall, 3rd against the run and 13th against the pass. Our Offense and Special Teams gave up at least half of those points and kept putting our Defense in a very bad position.

In your write up, you make it seem like it's all the Defense fault. Why didn't you say how bad the Panthers Defense was for giving up 38pts?
        If you'd read anything I'd written other than the bit on the Saints you would've seen that I was pretty disgusted with the Panthers.

Even so if you break it down.

Carolina drives down for 8 minutes, 7 points ahead, holds the eagles to a punt, begins to drive, Delhomme throws INT. Defense holds Eagles only gain 1 yard. FG.

7-3 t this point basically the end of the first quarter Carolina is dominant. The Eagles have had two possessions and barely gained a year. Their drives have failed to produce anything, they score a FG because of a lucky interception. It wasn't even that bad of a throw, but from here Delhomme melts down. The next scores come from a punt return, a fumble return.

17 to 7 not once did the defense have a chance.

Next score, Delhomme throws an INT that's returned to the 9 yard line. Defense has no chance.

24 to 7

Now the Carolina defense gives up their first long drive to the eagles. 31 to 7. Panthers drive again, score a field goal. 10 to 31 Which was a decent drive in the 2 minute warning against the eagles.

1:42 on the clock, defense holds the eagles to a punt.

Start of third quarter, eagles drive down, Beason intercepts McNabb 50 yrd drive.

Delhomme throws another terrible INT eagles get the ball at the 10 and mcnabb trundles in for his injury and another TD.

All in all the defense gave up the points, but if you want to look at their performance, all but 7 points either game from turnovers inside the 20 by Delhomme or straight up returns.

The defense in this instance was fine. Delhomme sucked.

Besides which, I said "the saints surrendered 27 points, the defense has to be better it's not every day Brees will throw six interceptions" The return for a TD, fine we'll discount that. That's still 20 points regardless of miscues. I'm not saying New Orleans is a bad team, I'm saying it's not a promising sign for a team touted as a possible contender to give up nearly thirty points to the worst team in the history of the NFL.

If you don't agree a contender shouldn't have done any better against the Lions, that's fine.

Neither team should be happy regardless how the defense performed because you know what. Regardless how good the Panthers defensive unit played, the team as a whole gave up 38 points and we lost, embarassingly.

Originally posted by gsorace View Post
        I haven't seen or heard him get any credit, all he did was give the ball to Adrian Peterson
        ESPN and Fox Sports both mentioned during their coverage (and ESPN again this morning) mentioned that "Favre was successful during his first outing for Minnesota" in the vikings win Favre threw for XXX and X Peterson also rushed for...."

Dunno what the coverage has shown on other networks out here, but there's not a lot of shows I can watch.

Originally posted by UKfan View Post
        Do you dislike the Colts Blindsite, you never give them a mention, I know that the game wasn't amazing, but come on, Reggie Wayne deserves a mention! Other than that, nice write up, good read :-)
        I had notes, but I couldn't work him in, just space. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by vidae-KC View Post
          I agree with what you said about KC. We played hard and were in it a long time. The game was a lot closer than the score would indicate, nohomer.

I'm pretty happy with how the Chiefs played without our starting QB and our #1 corner in the game. They picked on Leggett early and he seemed to calm down and played rather well, but he's no Brandon Flowers.
          Actually, the score halfway into the 4th quarter showed the game as tied which is as close as it could have been. The game actually WASN'T as close as the score showed. 14 of Kansas City's points came from an interception returned to the 8 yard line and a blocked punt. KC didn't get a 1st down until about the 2nd or 3rd quarter and Baltimore's D held you guys to 188 total yards on offense. KC should be glad it wasn't a blowout. You guys played with a lot of heart though. Cassel should make that team a ton better.

Comment

Originally posted by Raven Domination View Post
            Actually, the score halfway into the 4th quarter showed the game as tied which is as close as it could have been. The game actually WASN'T as close as the score showed. 14 of Kansas City's points came from an interception returned to the 8 yard line and a blocked punt. KC didn't get a 1st down until about the 2nd or 3rd quarter and Baltimore's D held you guys to 188 total yards on offense. KC should be glad it wasn't a blowout. You guys played with a lot of heart though. Cassel should make that team a ton better.

Rofl, he didn't say "The game was a lot closer than the score would indicate, half way through the 4th quarter".

He was talking about the end of the game score, which was a 2 score difference. And it doesn't matter if the Ravens give up special teams touchdowns or defensive touchdowns, those are still points that count against you.

Comment

Yea but he is saying that the game wasn't that close for the most part. The Ravens defense shut their offense down for the first half and our offense was plagued by penalties that ruined chances of scores on those drives. When the Ravens went down 14-10 I wasn't even phased. I was mad that we let them score on us but I knew we would just come back and put up points. I promise you won't see that 2nd half defense again.
              Originally posted by SunTzu_22
              Just let it go RWO.
              We as Ravens fans are clearly scum of the earth, and should just be happy that these great people, who cheer for nothing than the finest, morally impeccable players, playing on the finest, most morally impeccable teams, will grace us with their presence, and words of wisdom.

John Wall
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4CbQGBbUOw

Comment

Originally posted by BlindSite View Post
                What can be said about Carolina that wasn't said in the divisional playoffs last year. They're a great unit, the defense, running game, receivers, no complaints, but QB... Watching the Green Bay and Chicago game it's difficult not to be Jealous of teams with an actual future at the position. The game started well enough, in fact for most of the first quarter the Carolina defense held strong, the running game was clicking and Carolina, on the back of a long, methodical drive held the lead and looked like keeping it. Fast forward about six minutes in the second quarter and Delhomme had committed three turnovers and Carolina was down by seven. Soon the box the was stacked the backs were stuffed and Delhomme simply couldn't stop the hemmoraging. Time was it was expected that Delhomme would occasionally sling an interception that would make everyon shake their head, but these interceptions would be coupled with impressive plays and gutsy drives. Once benched, McCown came in to get hurt and Matt Moore in limited action showed that he really isn't Carolina's future at Quarterback. It's only week one and it's no necessarily time for the franchise to panic, but this is not the first time and I doubt it will be the last that Delhomme costs Carolina a win through poor play.

Look on the bright side, at least you guys signed him to a huge deal this past off-season with all that guaranteed money. That said, I always liked Matt Moore but I guess he's not ready to even be a back-up.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

if its tied in the middle of the 4th quarter and they have a chance to win, id say its pretty close

Comment

Originally posted by UKfan View Post
                    Do you dislike the Colts Blindsite, you never give them a mention, I know that the game wasn't amazing, but come on, Reggie Wayne deserves a mention!
                    There's nothing to say about them because they keep doing what they do, when everybody else wants to see them fail. People spoke up real loud last year when they said the Colts were dead and buried.

I am very enthused about the Colts this year. Very enthused.

Especially after seeing how the rest of the AFC looks.
                    Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

It's funny how Raven's fans are saying the Chiefs didn't play as the score indicated. How often did the Ravens over the last 10 years get big plays on defense and special teams?
                      Originally posted by njx9
                      i mean, why wouldn't the broncos take cam newton? they can play him at quarterback WITH tebow!

Comment

There's the truth.
                        Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

It's funny how Raven's fans are saying the Chiefs didn't play as the score indicated. How often did the Ravens over the last 10 years get big plays on defense and special teams?
                          Plus... since when do points scored on those two things not count? Last time I checked it was a huge reason that the Giants and Steelers won the last two superbowls, hell the Cards rode that and Fitzgerald to the superbowl last year.

As a Vikings fan I have seen more than enough of the flipside, our special teams have been so bad for so long now, regularly give up monster punt and kickoff returns, it's even sadder because our marquee free agents for the last few years have been special team guys primarily.

Props to BK on the sig!

Comment

Hah, it's whatever. Some Ravens fans are claiming that crazy things like "special teams" and "defense" shouldn't count, or count less than they do, like they don't matter.

Yeah, it should have been a blowout, no question. The Ravens are stacked with talent, but as per my original post, we stayed in it and fought every second, there is no disputing that.

Congratulations on the victory. Good luck the rest of the way.

Originally posted by fenikz
                            His soft D really turns me off
                            ** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **

Comment

Carolina surrendered all by 7 points pretty much directly through ST and defensive play by the eagles.

Last night special teams play caused the Bills to lose a sure victory.

It doesn't matter where the points come from. If they're there the game is close.

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
                                There's nothing to say about them because they keep doing what they do, when everybody else wants to see them fail. People spoke up real loud last year when they said the Colts were dead and buried.

I am very enthused about the Colts this year. Very enthused.

Especially after seeing how the rest of the AFC looks.
                                Enthused, you say? :D Enthused!

I have noticed that basically every AFC Contender had a struggle on their hands in the opening week. I suspect that's because it was the opening week, with all due respect.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information