No announcement yet.

The Race to the #1 Pick

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love how people keep using the "my team commited too many penalties and made stupid mistakes" excuse.

That's part of what makes a team good or bad, the ability to not make stupid mistakes.

Comment

Originally posted by yo123 View Post
      I love how people keep using the "my team commited too many penalties and made stupid mistakes" excuse.

That's part of what makes a team good or bad, the ability to not make stupid mistakes.
      Well excuse me for pointing out a fact.

When your implementing a new offense, and your constantly in 2nd and long, and 3rd and long... good luck trying to get ANYTHING going.

Which we did not.
      | Hawkeyes || Rams || Lakers || Braves || Avalanche |

Comment

Originally posted by Babylon View Post
        Would have to disect the schedules to figure #1 but it's been clear to me for awhile that the draft doesnt bring parity like it should. Can't see the Rams, Lions or Panthers winning too many games.
        Draft can't do it alone. It's more of a channel or a means to create parity. The teams still have to use it correctly, and then train, prepare and execute correctly.

For many teams, the draft does create parity. Think of teams records before they pick up a RB or a franchise QB in the 1st round alone. Then take into consideration later rounds.

The thing about sports is they have over a thousand different variables that can effect each decade, season or game. Injuries being one of the major ones, and we all know teams would be much different if they didn't lose their franchise quarterback, halfback or linebacker for an entire season at a time.

There just is no realistic way to fix the draft to create more parity =/
        Last edited by Bengalsrocket; 09-14-2009, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HawkeyeFan View Post
          Well excuse me for pointing out a fact.

When your implementing a new offense, and your constantly in 2nd and long, and 3rd and long... good luck trying to get ANYTHING going.

Which we did not.

Then don't get in 2nd and 3rd and long situations. It's that simple. You can't just assume that penalties are going to go away, some teams just make more bonehead plays than others and that's one of the reasons why there are good teams and bad teams.

Comment

The difference here though, is that discipline is something you could fix early or mid season fairly easily. The other factors that make a team good or bad (i.e. talent) are much harder to fix mid season.

So yes, if your team committed a lot of penalties, I think it's a decent excuse.

Comment

Then don't get in 2nd and 3rd and long situations. It's that simple. You can't just assume that penalties are going to go away, some teams just make more bonehead plays than others and that's one of the reasons why there are good teams and bad teams.
              You don't get in 2nd and 3rd and long situations? Look at the stats, we sure as hell did too get in those, and I bet our 3rd down average was 3rd and 11 (atleast).

Yes, it does make teams look BAD when it happnes. In no way am I saying that's why we lost, and we're a good team. I'm saying it hurt us a hell of a lot more than anything that game.

It's something you coach, Spagnuolo is a rookie, he's got learning to do. You don't coach your first game in the Regular season perfect as a rookie. You learn and coach to fix mistakes.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengalsrocket View Post
                The difference here though, is that discipline is something you could fix early or mid season fairly easily. The other factors that make a team good or bad (i.e. talent) are much harder to fix mid season.

So yes, if your team committed a lot of penalties, I think it's a decent excuse.

If that was the case then penalties wouldn't be an issue in the playoffs or end of the regular season, it's not always easy. The fact is St. Louis got shut out by a mediocre team and only put up 247 total yards, and the Bengals didn't score on a terrible Bronco defense until the third quarter.
                Last edited by yo123; 09-14-2009, 02:46 PM.

Comment

If that was the case then penalties wouldn't be an issue in the playoffs or end of the regular season, it's not always easy. The fact is St. Louis got shut out by a mediocre team and only put up 247 totals yards, and the Bengals didn't score on a terrible Bronco defense until the third quarter.
                  I'm fully aware that we got shut out, and I'm not hiding from it. Nor am I embarassed. Because if you actually watch the game, it's much, much closer than the score shows.

Comment

Originally posted by HawkeyeFan View Post
                    You don't get in 2nd and 3rd and long situations? Look at the stats, we sure as hell did too get in those, and I bet our 3rd down average was 3rd and 11 (atleast).

Yes, it does make teams look BAD when it happnes. In no way am I saying that's why we lost, and we're a good team. I'm saying it hurt us a hell of a lot more than anything that game.

It's something you coach, Spagnuolo is a rookie, he's got learning to do. You don't coach your first game in the Regular season perfect as a rookie. You learn and coach to fix mistakes.

I never said you didn't get in 3rd and long situations. I said if you want to win games you can't get in those situations

Comment

I know, I'm going to negative rep myself for misreading that.

Dicipline is something that is coached, and Incognito is now on his LAST chacne. Spagnuolo and Co. are not afraid of cutting players or trading them (see Torry Holt, Orlando Pace, Chris Draft, Tye Hill). I fully expect a better Rams game next week.

Our secondary actually looks pretty sick.

Comment

The Lions at least have some young talent in Stafford, Megatron and Kevin Smith, what do the Rams have?

Comment

Originally posted by JFLO View Post
                          I'm having a feeling that the skid the Panthers started yesterday is going to last a bit longer than they want. Maybe not 1st pick, but Top 10 status.

The Rams look awful as do the Broncos and Browns.

Cleveland started off decent, but it was clear that Brady Quinn was struggling as the game went along.

Also, a team that did win yesterday but I still think has some deep development to go through is the Saints. They gave up 27 points to the Lions at home? That doesn't sound right to me.
                          Originally posted by bhaarat316 View Post
                          hmmm my top 5 right now in no order

1. Rams
                          2. Bengals
                          3. Panthers
                          4. Lions
                          5. Probably Buffalo but they have still to play/ maybe NE if oakland ends up being garbage.

This is the first week so by week 6 we should have a better image of who is going top 5.

Colts, Vikings and Dolphins all lost to teams that ended up with top 15 picks in the first week and made the playoffs themselves.

It's the first week. The Panthers don't belong so low on the list. The defense and running game were fine yesterday, Delhomme just couldn't stop throwing picks. Two of them weren't wholly his fault anyway.

I don't like our chances of winning the division but a top 10 pick isn't going to happen. Besides we don't even have a first rounder.

Comment

the Chiefs didn't even look like a top 8 worst team.
                            my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
                            <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
                            <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
                            <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
                            Originally posted by Hermstheman83
                            What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

Texans suck.....bad.

Comment

Originally posted by superman8456 View Post
                                Texans suck.....bad.
                                Texans, Rams, Browns all looked beyond terrible.

Cincy and Denver both looked bad, not awful, but bad.

There's top 7 right there Houston, Tampa, and Detroit round out my top 10

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information