Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would you help your QB be successful?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by slightlyabroncosfan View Post
    I believe that if your QB needs his hand held, he wasn't destined for greatness anyway.
    If that's the case, why were you mad when Denver traded Cutler?

Comment

1. Offensive line
      a. Run Blocking
      b. Pass Blocking

2. Quality RB/RBC

3. Quality TE

4. Quality WRs

Look at the success of young QBs and there are some constants you will find among all their teams: a good running game. Matt Ryan had the 2nd ranked rushing attack. Joe Flacco had the 4th ranked rushing attack. Ben Roethlisberger had the 2nd ranked rushing attack (2nd to a MV led Falcons...so technically 1st). Peyton Manning had the 26th ranked rushing attack and threw 26 or 28 picks. Dan Marino had the 13th ranked rushing attack. Obviously, a talented offensive line can open up holes for talented and not talented RBs, thus taking pressure off of the QB.

As a QB begins to mature as a passer, he will look to the soft handed, tall, zone-hole finding TE in the middle of the field. Then as he begins to get down anticipation and timing with WRs, he will be able to fully utilize all the weapons at his disposal.

Of course, there are plenty of ways to attain success as a QB, but this way seems most ideal for me.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan

Comment

You will find tons of different answers here because it relies on so many different things...
        What is already in place with the team. That means players, coaches, management...
        The style of young QB you are bringing in.
        Cap Space...etc

You really could go on and list a lot of different factors that would go in to how you would build the team because it depends on what the situation is. There are a lot of correct ways to try to build your team with a young QB because of all these different factors...
        Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir is a goddess

Rest in Peace, themaninblack

Comment

Originally posted by bigbuc View Post
          What do you think is the best way of success is?
          Keep Jessica Simpson away.

Comment

I love the build through the trenches outlook to building a franchise. If you have a franchise QB, you build the offensive line first. Make sure he's protected, otherwise it's all for nothing. The QB is the most important position on the field in most cases (unless you have Purple Jesus, then any 40+ year old bumpkin will do) so you have to be smart about it.

Originally posted by fenikz
            His soft D really turns me off
            ** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **

Comment

I'd like to build a great O-Line. I think that's the key to success on offense. In the 49ers situation, a great O-Line and D-line would totally turn this team around.

Comment

Originally posted by Splat420 View Post
                Trent Green had three straight 4000 yards seasons and other then Gonzo the average fan can't tell you who he was throwing to the reason he could do that is.

[/thread]

Seriously. It all starts in the trenches. A great offensive line is the lifeblood of a good running game and makes the job of a quarterback a whole lot easier because he doesn't have to worry about being on his back all game.

Likewise, a great defensive line both shuts down the run game and keeps quarterbacks from getting in a rhythm, making the job of the entire secondary easier.

Comment

O - line for sure.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack

Comment

I honestly think the most surefire way to develop a QB into a productive starter is not about who or what you put around him, but how you choose to develop him. I think the best way to develop a QB is to slowly groom him into being able to run the offense you need. This means starting out with a lot of short, high-percentage throws which will build confidence, and slowly expanding the playbook to include riskier plays and tougher throws until eventually your QB can do anything your offense may need from him.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
                    <Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge

Comment

If you're Al Davis then defensive backzzz!!!

Comment

I would draft Tate Forcier, thus eliminating the need for anyone else.

Comment

Let him sit the first year and learn.
                          Build your OLine.
                          Give him a talented slot receiver and/or TE for dump off's
                          -Boston Red Sox-New England Patriots-Boston Celtics-

Comment

Obviously a solid LT must be found to protect the young QB. Then in his 1st couple of years depending on how far along he is in his abilities, you can simplify the offense to make it easier for a QB until he is ready to take on a full load. Once the HC decides his young QB is ready he can put in a far more sophisticated offense.
                            In the end, if the young QB is mentally tough and a strong leader he will win, if he lacks these qualities he will flop no matter how much talent you have on your team. I don't believe a player with talent who is mentally tough, can be a flop no matter how poorly he is handled by his original team. A switch of scenery to another team should allow his talent to flourish. Most of the QB's who flop with their original team also flop with their next team because they aren't mentally tough enough to handle failure.
                            And proud of it!!!

Comment

The Giants while having probably the best run blocking unit in the league, have average pass protection and an OC that leaves a lot to be desired....

I get what everyone is saying, and superficially its true, but its not really accurate on the Giants.

As for the best way to develop a qb, give me a combination of the Andy Reid regime and how Aaron Rodgers was handled. Except run the ball instead of throwing it 40 times a game.

Surround the qb with a strong and deep oline, a great defense and let him sit and learn. Who cares what perception is on the outside, if you have strong management who is willing to stick with its coaches and let its young qb develop slowly, thats truely the best way to make him successful. That and talent around him of course.

Aaron Rodgers wouldve been a bust if he started from year 1. But he's one of the upcoming great qbs of this league. His development played a huge part in it.

Comment

Giants build: Get a beastly OL, strong collection of backs and an amazing defense with a number one receiver to shift coverage!

BK

Originally posted by AcheTen
                                JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
                                Originally posted by abaddon41_80
                                Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
                                Originally posted by JBCX
                                Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information