Welcome to the modern era of NFL football

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welcome to the modern era of NFL football

Its been the reality for awhile now, but any lingering doubts or debate that may have existed should have been permanently erased from people's minds after each of the last two primetime games.

The days of "run the ball and stop the run" are officially a thing of the past. In both the Dal/NY and Ind/Mia games the team that dominated both sides of the ground game lost because of their inability to stop the other teams passing game as well as generate a passing game of their own.

The modern era of football is here. Throw the ball and stop the pass should be the new mantra....and if you look carefully at the money positions, its clearly evident that that's been the case for awhile.
    Originally posted by 21ST
    He was protecting his self
    Originally posted by tjsunstein
    From what? His leg?
    Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck
    That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
    "We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware

I was thinking about this 2 years ago when the Giants won the SB, and while it holds true in a lot of instances, this is the conclusion Ive reached.

Passing the ball has dominated the regular season, but if you want to win in the playoffs, you gotta still run the ball and stop the run.

Think about it. The past 2 years, a high powered passing offense has lost to a dominant defense and ground attack.

Granted the Steelers didn't have a run game like the Giants, but they still could run the ball somewhat well.

The teams that play defense and run the ball still win the championships. The glitter of the passing game is becoming more prevalent, but its still not winning championships.

Even when the Colts won the SB, they did it when they finally relied on their defense and run game.
    Last edited by bigbluedefense; 09-22-2009, 01:19 PM.

Comment

The Vikings are disagreeing

Comment

so basically, offenses and passing games win in the regular season, but the playoffs are still dominated by defense.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
          so basically, offenses and passing games win in the regular season, but the playoffs are still dominated by defense.
          i think its a wrong conclusion. It was always the case if you had a bad pass defense you will most likely lose if the other team is a team that will exploit you. If they see you cant defend the pass, well the other team will sure as hell pass all day and try to win that way. It really depends on what the matchups are, and right now the pass defense prolly need to adjusted a little, but yea basically the same thing was said the year the Patriots went 0-16. That didnt work that well

Comment

Exactly. Throw to score, run to win.

Comment

does time of possession count for anything anymore?
              http://i38.tinypic.com/2aj2s7t.jpg
              For a good time call (303) 499-7111.whitspacsig by steel man

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"

Comment

Originally posted by awfullyquiet View Post
                not when your qb can't run a 2 minute drill.

Comment

Not for Peyton Manning.

BK

Originally posted by AcheTen
                  JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
                  Originally posted by abaddon41_80
                  Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
                  Originally posted by JBCX
                  Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.

Comment

Originally posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
                    i think its a wrong conclusion. It was always the case if you had a bad pass defense you will most likely lose if the other team is a team that will exploit you. If they see you cant defend the pass, well the other team will sure as hell pass all day and try to win that way. It really depends on what the matchups are, and right now the pass defense prolly need to adjusted a little, but yea basically the same thing was said the year the Patriots went 0-16. That didnt work that well
                    matchups will always dictate the gameplan, but i still think running the ball in december and january wins in the playoffs.

the way you run and defend the run has changed, but its still the same old same at the end of the day.

Comment

not when your qb can't run a 2 minute drill.
                      Pennington led them down the field and gave them a chance to win. Ginn has to come down with that ball in the endzone.

Comment

Once the NFL made changes in the rule book to enhance the passing game, it was a new day. Scoring is entertainment. This is an entertainment business at it's core. Money, money, money. The limitations on defensive players is such a joke. It's all about protecting the product. Losing star players, loses commercial appeal, loses money.

So the rules make it more enticing for teams to pass more. It's only a matter of time before more teams adopt what New England, New Orleans, and Arizona (last year) do. Watch out for Denver and KC. Notice they are all from the Parcells/Belichick tree? Those guys are so smart it's sickening. lol.

The funny thing is... if you look at the coaches from that tree... Parcells is the only one sticking with the run. Stubborn old man, won't change his ways. He's trying to reinvent it. haha. Still thinks he can revolutionize the game... lol. He handcuffed Payton so badly in Dallas. ...and I still get a kick at the memory of him punching Todd Haley on the sidelines. hahahahha.

I think the new era is Running the Ball and Stopping the Pass.

Comment

TOP is such a misleading measure for teams that are pass heavy. The score could be 28-0 and the team with 0 could be way ahead on the TOP count.

Comment

matchups will always dictate the gameplan, but i still think running the ball in december and january wins in the playoffs.

the way you run and defend the run has changed, but its still the same old same at the end of the day.
                            Agreed. There is nothing like a dominating ground game in December and January when it is freezing out.

Sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
                              Pennington led them down the field and gave them a chance to win. Ginn has to come down with that ball in the endzone.
                              that was good defense. the ball was on the money, but so was the CB.

either way, it shouldn't come down to a 40 yard pass with 15 or so seconds left when you had 2 minutes to move down the field.

that tells me you wasted over 100 seconds only moving 40 yards downfield.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information