Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Adrian Peterson overused early? (Thoughts on workhorse backs)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't worry about Adrian Peterson. I worry about Maurice Jones-Drew. The Vikings can spell Peterson with Taylor, but MJD is on the field at all times. He has such a massive workload and he is one of the smallest backs in the league.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiver View Post
      I don't worry about Adrian Peterson. I worry about Maurice Jones-Drew. The Vikings can spell Peterson with Taylor, but MJD is on the field at all times. He has such a massive workload and he is one of the smallest backs in the league.
      In height yes, but the dude about 210-15 (same as Adrian Peterson, Frank Gore, 10-15 lbs heavier than Barry Sanders was) He's a freak of nature. Plus they drafted Rashard Jennings who they like

sig by BoneKrusher

PACKERS BADGERS BREWERS BUCKS

Comment

I think a lot of it is that you assume you will still be in the game or in a position to run at least, by saving the RB for the 2nd half.

AP running is still by far the most likely route to a TD for the Vikes. We have a QB who is best suited to game managing at this point in his career, so far our rookie WR is by far our most dangerous target and our OL is very good at run blocking and about as equally bad at pass protection. All of this means that the best way to stay in the game and gain an early lead is to run and if we are running, Peterson is the best guy to have it. Plus if he breaks a couple of big runs early, he might not even need to play in the 2nd half sometimes. Especially with how much our pass defense has improved without Sharper back there blowing plays looking for picks.

Props to BK on the sig!

Comment

He's on pace for 352 touches on the year, so no? I'm have as much concern over Peterson's ability to stay healthy over the long term as anyone, but the whole point behind Peterson gaining that weight in the offseason was to be able to be the load carrier for the Vikes, and for the time being they might as well let him try and be that runner for them. It isn't like their use of him is particularly unreasonable right now anyway.

As for the question of saving him for the second half, the truth is that Peterson is going to tire down the defense much better than Chester Taylor will be able to. Besides, Peterson is averaging 4.3 yards on 29 first half carries and 7.7 on 30 second half carries. I can't imagine the Vikings could be any happier with that production.
          Last edited by Paranoidmoonduck; 09-29-2009, 01:34 AM.

Comment

I think AD can handle the workload just fine, but with the way he runs, that scares me for the long run. One solid hit, and he could be out for a long while. I do not wish for that to happen because he is one of my favorite non Steelers and one of the most exciting players in football, but it's true.

Comment

That big ***** ain't gonna break.

Comment

Working...
              X

Debug Information