Just my thoughts on stuff around the league, I try not to repeat stuff I've said before. Feel free to share your thoughts.
- Many people expect Tony Romo to develop, but I think this is Tony Romo developed. An undrafted free agent quarterback out of Eastern Illinois who learned and developed for three years (03-05) before finally seeing the field sometime in his fourth season (06). What you see is what you get, essentially the finished product. This is Tony Romo.
- Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie reminds me of a younger Deangelo Hall.
- The Scott Pioli-Todd Haley marriage isn't going to last in Kansas City, I give it until the spring of 2011 at the very most. Haley is too volatile, especially as he'll be stuck with a quarterback who isn't good enough but is already terribly overpaid by the GM in charge Pioli.
- I said this to a friend over the summer: Dick Jauron is a nice guy. Dick Jauron is a smart guy. But Dick Jauron is not a good football coach.
- Jason Campbell is a bust. I have no idea why no one comes out and says it, but he is a definite bust. He doesn't have it whatsoever, period. Maybe he'll be a good back-up in the NFL, at best. For all the current flak the Redskins are getting for their constant changes, they most definitely need to change the quarterback this offseason when they hire a new head coach, offensive coordinator, and quarterbacks coach. It's not about change for change's sake, it's time to end the failed experiment (Campbell + Jim Zorn aka Dead Man Walking) and try to get it right with the next attempt.
- Last year, Patrick Willis didn't make the All-Pro team because he had one less vote (17) than Jon Beason (18). As long as Willis stays healthy, he doesn't have to worry about that repeating this year. Especially if Monday night was any indication.
- Dwight Freeney thoroughly abused Mike Gandy on Sunday night, but the only surprise is why Wisenhunt and Grimm didn't give Gandy any good help. Especially when, on the Monday before that game, Miami wasn't as stupid as they had their 1st overall pick and supposed Pro Bowl LT Jake Long one-on-one against Freeney for only 15 snaps for the entire game, and Freeney beat him around for most of them. Otherwise Freeney was doubled the entire night and the Dolphins ran away from him.
- Speaking of the Dolphins, I am not a believer in their (puppet) head coach Tony Sparano. I don't think he's a good head coach, really. He might even be as bad as Eric Mangini, although at least Sparano has a really good offensive coordinator.
- LeSean McCoy runs like a guy who runs 4.5-ish.
- Week 3 and Marc Bulger is injured, what a shocker. He has no courage, no spine, no heart, no guts, no leadership, no nothing - the guy should be in the NFL version of the Wizard of Oz. What a paper quarterback. The only thing he's good for is stealing paycheck after paycheck from the St. Louis Rams, thanks to the idiots previously in charge who signed him to his 6-year $60M contract. Call him Marc Burglar.
- Tom Brady ripping and screaming at teammates and coaches on the sidelines. As usual. Still got to build up their Golden Boy though.
- The Jets look pretty good, but I'm still a little leery. I want to see two things: (1) how they fare after Week 4, when teams will have the four weeks' of game film on Sanchez and the rest of the team; and (2) whether Kris Jenkins can stay healthy enough for the whole season, which I personally doubt it. But they do look good, and that's with them not giving Leon Washington the ball enough so far.
- Good teams are good teams and bad teams are bad teams because of the decision-makers involved. There's no two ways about it. If the guys at the top are making bad decisions, the result is a bad team. Good decision-makers, good teams.