NFL Divisions Aligned Geographically

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFL Divisions Aligned Geographically

I had quite a bit of time to kill today and began tinkering with all of the NFL divisions wondering what they would look like if I had to arrange them based on location. In doing so I tried taking a few things into account:

1. Division rivalries would not skew any re-arranging. (i.e. - Cowboys/Giants would not take precedence)

2. All of the old AFL teams had to remain in the AFC. When I initially began I said "to hell with that" but changed my mind based on the historical impact it has had on the NFL and it brings a bit of nostalgia to the game.

3. I tried to make the AFC and NFC balanced. When I first started the AFC North was loaded while the NFC West was extremely weak.

4. In the end I just could not separate the teams in the NFC North. Those teams have too much history and I feel it is the perfect division based on NFL history, rivalries, and tradition.

5. If needed then certain rivalries could be kept like in college football (i.e. Florida playing Florida State). Every year the Cowboys could play the Giants, Buffalo could play Miami, etc...

***NOTE*** This was more difficult than I thought it would be.

○ - denotes original AFL team.

AFC East
    Buffalo Bills○
    Indianapolis Colts
    New England Patriots○
    New York Jets○

AFC North
    Baltimore Ravens
    Cincinnati Bengals○
    Cleveland Browns
    Pittsburgh Steelers

AFC South
    Jacksonville Jaguars
    Miami Dolphins○
    Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    Tennessee Titans○

AFC West
    Oakland Raiders○
    San Diego Chargers○
    Denver Broncos○
    Kansas City Chiefs○

NFC East
    Carolina Panthers
    New York Giants
    Philadelphia Eagles
    Washington Redskins

NFC North
    Chicago Bears
    Green Bay Packers
    Detroit Lions
    Minnesota Vikings

NFC South
    Atlanta Falcons
    Houston Texans
    New Orleans Saints
    St. Louis Rams

NFC West
    Arizona Cardinals
    Dallas Cowboys
    San Francisco 49ers
    Seattle Seahawks

Based purely on geographic location and the shortest distance for four teams to travel then this is what the divisions would look like:

AFC East
    Baltimore Ravens
    Buffalo Bills
    Pittsburgh Steelers
    Washington Redskins

AFC North
    Chicago Bears
    Cleveland Browns
    Detroit Lions
    Indianapolis Colts

AFC South
    Atlanta Falcons
    Carolina Panthers
    Cincinnati Bengals
    Tennessee Titans

AFC West
    Oakland Raiders
    San Diego Chargers
    San Francisco 49ers
    Seattle Seahawks

NFC East
    New England Patriots
    New York Jets
    New York Giants
    Philadelphia Eagles

NFC North
    Green Bay Packers
    Kansas City Chiefs
    Minnesota Vikings
    St. Louis Rams

NFC South
    Jacksonville Jaguars
    Miami Dolphins
    New Orleans Saints
    Tampa Bay Buccaneers

NFC West
    Arizona Cardinals
    Dallas Cowboys
    Denver Broncos
    Houston Texans
    Last edited by diabsoule; 10-02-2009, 11:12 PM.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
    WHO DAT!

Dallas would be in the playoffs every year :p

Comment

Having three rivals in Florida would suck.

Originally posted by Jurrell Casey
      I love light skin and white women but my main chick is brown skin

Comment

i actually enjoy.

i think they should throw conferences for a loop some day in the future. merge afc conferences some nfc conferences. and spit them back out.

heck, it's even closer to geographically compatable
        http://i38.tinypic.com/2aj2s7t.jpg
        For a good time call (303) 499-7111.whitspacsig by steel man

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"

Comment

Originally posted by awfullyquiet View Post
          i actually enjoy.

i think they should throw conferences for a loop some day in the future. merge afc conferences some nfc conferences. and spit them back out.

heck, it's even closer to geographically compatable
          I'm probably going to go back and do another version which will be purely based on geographic location. Old AFL members be damned!

WHO DAT!

Comment

Originally posted by MetSox17 View Post
            Dallas would be in the playoffs every year :p
            Not as long as Tony Romo is your QB. :o

sig by fenikz
            Originally posted by ImBrotherCain
            You are just a terrible person.
            Originally posted by bigbluedefense
            I have an iPhone.

Comment

I think it would be better to find a way to work the Eagles back into an east division(you could probably put the Steelers in one as well) but it's hard to do that with a limited amount of slots. Interesting concept, nice work.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Well...cant say i'm surprised about the AFC West

"Dying ain't much of a living, boy" -Josey Wales
                Originally posted by TitanHope
                R4L does security, and strips on the weekend.
                He told me the best part is being able to wear the same uniform to both jobs.

Comment

That AFC North would be so good. Baltimore, Pittsburgh, and Philly? Oh my.

Comment

Why not just leave the eagles in the NFC East and the browns in the AFC North? Just curious.

Comment

I like the idea.

some thoughts.

I'd ALMOST give the NFC East the same treatment as the NFC North, but i see where the Cowboys are the odd ducks. from your list, i would:

-have the Browns and Eagles switch divisions. geographically, it works just as well, and ya get to keep the Eagles in the NFC East.

-have the Redskins and Colts switch. again, this allows 3/4 of the NFC East to remain intact. and sends the Colts back to the East where they'll renew their divisional rivalry with the Patriots.

-Switch the Titans and Falcons. just for geographic reasons. we'd have a full division of florida and georgia.

this way, i think the only glaring issue would the Cowboys going from the (arguable) flagship of one of the most storied divisions in football to the NFL equivilant of the Mountain West Conference.

Comment

Originally posted by drowe View Post
                        I like the idea.

some thoughts.

I'd ALMOST give the NFC East the same treatment as the NFC North, but i see where the Cowboys are the odd ducks. from your list, i would:

-have the Browns and Eagles switch divisions. geographically, it works just as well, and ya get to keep the Eagles in the NFC East.

-have the Redskins and Colts switch. again, this allows 3/4 of the NFC East to remain intact. and sends the Colts back to the East where they'll renew their divisional rivalry with the Patriots.

-Switch the Titans and Falcons. just for geographic reasons. we'd have a full division of florida and georgia.

this way, i think the only glaring issue would the Cowboys going from the (arguable) flagship of one of the most storied divisions in football to the NFL equivilant of the Mountain West Conference.
                        I had been thinking of switching the Eagles and Browns. I like the idea of having Pittsburgh and Philadelphia in the same division but it does stack the odds. That would leave the AFC North untouched to go along with the AFC West and NFC North.

The Titans are the old AFL Houston Oilers. I can't move them out of the AFC if you read the stipulations I gave myself.

And that does make sense about switching the Redskins and Colts. It would renew the old rivalry between Indianapolis and New England when the two were in the same conference.

WHO DAT!

Comment

NFC West
                          San Francisco 49ers
                          Oakland Raiders
                          San Diego Chargers
                          Arizona Cardinals

It would never happen but that would make my day

Comment

I love the AFC South, that would be sick. I also like the fact that you kept the NFC North the same.

The NFC East is a little suspect with INdy and Cleveland, but it would be really hard to re-align the teams exactly right, so it would never be perfect.

I like.

BoneKruser with the DOPE sig

Comment

Giants-Jets in the same division would probably lead to a massive number of civilian casualties from police preventing post-game riots twice a year. I think the league should go with it ;)

Although that makes the NYJ-NYG super bowl impossible. I want one of those ;D

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information