Favre voted most overrated player

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BlindSite View Post
    Its not people who "know sports" who bring out this argument, it's people who don't understand how a team works.

As I have pointed out time and time again there is little difference between what Brady, Manning, Brees, Warner or whomever else are capable of achieving in their own ability, it's the ability of those around them that will ultimately decide the fate of their team.

If you "know sports" so brilliantly, then please, try and point out, what Brees has done specifically, to prevent his team from making the playoffs and or winning a superbowl. What exactly makes Brees "not a winner". Stats are for losers, then fine. Don't use any in your argument.
    I have been picking New Orleans to make the playoffs for a couple of years now so I like Brees but the QB is the team leader and when the going gets tough they have to produce if they are a playoff caliber QB. So far Brees has failed to lead New Orleans anywhere, maybe this year will be different but it is too early to tell.
    Peyton hardly plays for a talented team. His LT is average at best and his defense is sub par but somehow he gets the job done and Indy is in the playoffs every year. The great QB's may not always have the talent to win the SB, but they are practically in the playoffs every year barring injuries. Look at Palmer, this is the 1st time in 3 years that he has been healthy and suddenly the sad sack Cincy is making a playoff run. Where are Brees's playoff runs??? His teams have usually been non winners and that just doesn't happen to great QB's every year.
    IMO, until Brees can consistently make a strong playoff run every year, I won't include him on my list of franchise QB's because by my definition a franchise QB = making the playoff on a consistent basis. That is why Brady, Peyton and a few others make my current list of franchise QB's and Brees remain on the outside. Sorry if it upsets you. If it makes you feel better I'm not a fan of Marino either. Stats aren't my measure of a great QB.
    And proud of it!!!

Comment

• Mike Teel> Kyle Orton
      We ALL bleed scarlet
      New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
      UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
      Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
      BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

• Originally posted by Iamcanadian View Post
        I have been picking New Orleans to make the playoffs for a couple of years now so I like Brees but the QB is the team leader and when the going gets tough they have to produce if they are a playoff caliber QB. So far Brees has failed to lead New Orleans anywhere, maybe this year will be different but it is too early to tell.
        He lead them to an NFC title game and divisional crown not all that long ago.

Originally posted by Iamcanadian View Post
        Peyton hardly plays for a talented team. His LT is average at best and his defense is sub par but somehow he gets the job done and Indy is in the playoffs every year. The great QB's may not always have the talent to win the SB, but they are practically in the playoffs every year barring injuries. Look at Palmer, this is the 1st time in 3 years that he has been healthy and suddenly the sad sack Cincy is making a playoff run. Where are Brees's playoff runs??? His teams have usually been non winners and that just doesn't happen to great QB's every year.
        You do realise indianapolis hasn't had a bad defense for nearly 5 seasons now.

This year 13th over all New Orleans 9th
        2008 11th new Orleans 23rd
        2007 3rd new orleans 26th
        2006 11th (SB victory) New Orleans 14th (NFC CG)

Every year Peyton has had a defense in the top half of the league he's made the playoffs, the year where his defense was the most talented, though not statistically, they won a superbowl.

Notice the other correlation, New Orleans is bad for two seasons, look where the defense ranks, it picks it up for 2 years and they go to one game shy of the superbowl and race to an early division lead.

There is a direct, quantifiable relationship between the defensive performance of a Drew Brees lead saints team and how far that team goes. Unless you want to refute clear, undeniable, patterns with more crap like "i know footballsz"

Originally posted by Iamcanadian View Post
        IMO, until Brees can consistently make a strong playoff run every year, I won't include him on my list of franchise QB's because by my definition a franchise QB = making the playoff on a consistent basis. That is why Brady, Peyton and a few others make my current list of franchise QB's and Brees remain on the outside. Sorry if it upsets you. If it makes you feel better I'm not a fan of Marino either. Stats aren't my measure of a great QB.
        I don't care about marino, he's not from my era of following football.

You want to crap on about Brady, well lets put it to my stats are for losers argument:

09 7th overall
        08 10th overall (no brady, no playoffs, but still a winning record)
        07 4th overall SB appearance
        06 6th overall
        05 26th overall early exit from the playoffs
        04 9th overall SB win
        03 7th overall SB win

There's a direct correlation between how successful quarterbacks are in a team setting with how good their defense is.

Stat's are for losers lol!

Apparently they show your argument has no bearing.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlindSite View Post
          He lead them to an NFC title game and divisional crown not all that long ago.

You do realise Indianapolis hasn't had a bad defense for nearly 5 seasons now.

This year 13th over all New Orleans 9th
          2008 11th New Orleans 23rd
          2007 3rd New Orleans 26th
          2006 11th (SB victory) New Orleans 14th (NFC CG)
          Drew Brees while in San Diego.

2002 (w/ SD) - 24th rated defense (32nd in passing/11th rushing)
          2003 (w/ SD) - 27st rated defense (21st in passing/25th in rushing)
          2004 (w/ SD) - 18th rated defense (31st in passing/3rd in rushing)
          2005 (w/ SD) - 13th rated defense (28th in passing/1st in rushing)

Weapons Brees had on offense while with San Diego:

WR David Boston (2003)
          WR Kennan McCardell (2004-2005)
          WR Tim Dwight (2001-2004)
          WR Curtis Conway (2002)
          WR Kassim Osgood (2003-2005)
          WR Eric Parker (2003-2005)
          WR Reche Caldwell (2002-2005)
          RB LDT
          TE Stephen Alexander (2002)
          TE Antonio Gates (2003 - rookie year)

2003 - Doug Flutie started six games for the Chargers during the middle of the season and went 2-4. Statistically 2003 was the worst year for Brees and a terrible year for the Chargers in general.
          Last edited by diabsoule; 10-11-2009, 02:08 AM.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
          WHO DAT!

Comment

• I like french fries. I think Wendys has the best french fries. I think McDonalds fries are a bit overrated.

Sorry, in this thread the comment fits. :-P

Comment

• If you look at the stats, Brees certainly, at the very least, has an argument for the top QB in the NFL. But even his fans won't place him higher than 3rd(unless they're talking "the way Tom Brady is playing" rather than the way we know Tom Brady can play). I fail to see how that makes him overrated. Also with the "his team hasn't done anything" argument doesn't work when you use examples like Peyton Manning, because everyone knows Peyton Manning is better than Drew Brees, and is one of the best QBs to ever play the game(could retire as the absolute best). If people were saying Brees is way better than Peyton, then yeah, use that argument all you want. But I haven't seen any QBs who aren't regarded as better than Drew Brees get their team anywhere without a solid D and running game(both of which he appears to have this year, which makes the Saints a true contender).

Originally posted by Scott Wright
              Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
              Originally posted by njx9
              do i tell you when to flip the burger?

Comment

Working...
              X

Debug Information