Some Thoughts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
    I love me some Lamar Woodley. Part of me wants to say he's better than James Harrison. I kiss the sky every day when I remember that Dallas chose Anthony Spencer over Lamar Woodley.

I'll keep an eye on this guy. I haven't been keeping up with college ball as much as I want to.
    He's a tad shorter than Woodley, but I think he's slightly more explosive and has Woodley's bull-rush. He fared very, very well against Bryan Bulaga on Saturday night. Can play the run or the pass equally well.

Comment

I haven't done one of these yet. Mine are usually sporadic, and quite long so bare with me.

-James Harrison, Lamar Woodley, and Elvis Dumerville have proven that its better to be short as a 3-4 OLB. Prototypically, everyone wants a 6 4" guy who has strength and speed. But I don't think thats really the case anymore. These 6 foot guys are squat and strong, and because they are stand up rushers, their short height actually plays in their favor bc they get great leverage as a stand up rusher.

These guys can not only speed rush, but bullrush with the best of them because they can get under the OT's pads even while standing up. And that is huge for a 3-4 OLB. They were traditionally known strictly as speed rushers, but what these shorter guys have shown us is, with leverage, they can bullrush too, and they are the new matchup problems for pass protections in the league. Also, because theyre shorter, they have better knee bend in coverage, so it helps them both ways.

The short guys are where its at.

I always wondered how dominant Dwight Freeney could have been as a 3-4 OLB. He couldve been the best 3-4 OLB since LT. He had all the tools, the leverage, the speed, the spin move, the hips. Everything.
      I never understood the massive emphasis on height for passrushers (I'm lumping 34 rushbackers in with 43 Ends here). Yes, it means they can get their hands up if they can't get to the QB and deflect some balls, but wouldn't you rather they just get to the QB ala Freeney, Mathis, Woodley, Harrison, Dumervil, etc.?

-The Colts look like the best team in the AFC by far thus far. Their offense has looked as good as its ever been, Peyton looks healthy, their defense looks better than years past (big surprise, i told you Cover 2 sucks), and they'll shore up that run D when Sanders comes back.

2 issues though:

1. They need to shore up that LT spot. Ugoh sucks.
      2. When is it time to move on from Bob Sanders? Yes, he brings so much when healthy, but the guy isn't healthy anymore. He's the new Mike Brown. Draft another safety, and move on. Sanders can't be relied on anymore.
      Ugoh has Rex Grossman syndrome. His confidence has been destroyed and now despite all the talent he won't be able to succeed. At least not in Indianapolis. Charlie Johnson has been a decent patch, but I think OT is high on the Colts wishlist next draft. As for Sanders, moving on from him would be far too expensive, and I really wouldn't want any other team having him, even if he did only play half of their games. He is that good when healthy. As for your "Tampa 2 sucks" theory, the Colts still run it, they just mix their coverages more now and actually blitz from time to time. I don't think it was the philosophy that sucked, I think it was the lack of creativity in playcalling that sucked, as in it hurt the unit because they had to try to succeed on sheer talent alone.

-Ron Rivera is the most overrated DC in the league. The guy runs soft zones, a passive D, and for some reason he gets a pass for it. Why? He's not a good DC.

Someone needs to sit him down and remind him that Cover 2 sucks.
      As I recall he actually got fired from Chicago for not wanting to run the Tampa 2 scheme. He may run passive zones, but that doesn't make it Tampa 2. Coverage shells and schemes are not one and the same.

-Tom Brady isn't the same Tom Brady, and the team as a whole looks old on offense. This team will make the playoffs, but I don't think they'll do much when they get there.
      I think people are making a mistake here. Tom Brady is the same Tom Brady, he's just not the one that was getting 6 seconds of protection every time he dropped back and then throwing to virtually all Top 50 picks as the 2007 version everyone seems to remember and attribute to his entire career. He's the Tom Brady that existed prior to that, the one that made a living off of short throws and screens with the occasional mixed in deep ball who threw for about 3800 yards 24 TDs and 12 INTs every year.

Surprisingly, everyone worried about the defense, but the defense is doing a great job this year. Its the offense thats holding them back. Imagine how good that defense could be with an actual pass rusher. That defense will be back with more development.

But they need to invest in some oline. This team is old, and they need to rebuild.
      I'm not really sold on their defense. They've played 2 legitimate offenses, and I guess you could say they held them in check, but they also gave up 24 to the Bills and almost lost that game. Check back after they've gone to the Superdome.

-The Bengals are forreal. And more importantly, Cedric Benson is a legit MVP candidate this year.

Yes. Cedric Benson.

Cedric Benson.

Who wouldve thought that? I was a big believer in the guy and thought he'd rejuvenate his career with the Bengals. I saw him run harder and faster than he ever did with the Bears, but I didn't expect him to be THIS good. He's a beast. I had him as my fantasy sleeper, and he's treating me pretty good right now ;)

Oh, and someone rep Rosebud for me. I said since last year that the Bengals were an up and coming team, but I didn't realize it until after they played the Giants last year. I remember prior to that game Rosebud kept telling me, don't sleep on the Bengals defense, and I was like yeah whatever. After teh game though, I became a believer. I knew that team was legit and would bounce back after seeing them play.

And they are. Theyre a good team despite Carson Palmer looking very mediocre this year. Theyre winning with defense and the run game.

Speaking of which, lets give Jonathan Joseph some love. We know about Corey Webster's dramatic turnaround (top 3 CB in the league imo behind Nmandi and Revis), but Joseph has made an impressive turnaround himself. He's been a damn good CB for 2 years now.
      If the Bengals get out of Week 10 with the AFC North lead, count me as a believer. They have a rough stretch coming up.

- This might be the best rookie WR core we've seen in quite some time. The rookie WRs in this draft class are doing an amazing job, and all of them look like they have bright futures.

Britt, Maclin, Nicks, Percy, all are starting out great. We have up and comers in Murphy, possibly Barden, MoMas, Robiskie and Tate, and Im sure Im forgetting some others. The book is out on Crabtree.

Let's not forget the first WR taken overall, our boy DHB....

..... ......sorry Raiders fans.
      You forgot Austin Collie, rookie leader in TD catches. :D

-The Ravens defense is not what it used to be. They get a lot of credit but a lot of that credit is unwarranted, as they're living off reputation moreso than production. They still have a great run D, but this team can be thrown on. They need to shore up that secondary, they don't have any CBs. This team as a whole I personally feel is a bit overrated, but they do have in my eyes the best oline in the league, a hell of a run game, and a franchise qb.

They still lack weapons on offense, and CBs on defense. I think that will hold them back from winning a championship this year.
      The Ravens defense has been exploitable through the air for years, just ask Peyton Manning.

-The NFC West is going to have 1 playoff team. It will be the 4 seed. Whoever it is, will promptly be stomped out by whichever Wild Card team plays them.
      I think the 49ers (who I'd have coming out of the West right now) could at least compete in a postseason game. They may not win, but they'd put up a fight. I'd watch for them to be contenders in the near future, Singletary has them going in the right direction.

-As awful as Dallas has been, they still are 3-2 and can win the NFC East. Anything can happen.
      I can't agree with that, they're too sporadic and the Giants are too multidimensional for that to happen. If anyone is in a fight for the East, it's the Giants and Eagles.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
      <Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge

Comment

I was a firm believer in this defense, I thought and said it would be better this year than in years past. And it has been. Its desperately missing a pass rush still.

I also feel that it should still use more 3-4 looks than it does. I think its still very capable as a 3-4 defense. At least Bill can mask more blitzes that way.

You brought up a great point that I forgot to mention. Brandon Merriweather has looked incredible thus far. Id go as far as saying he's having a PB year. He's been a huge piece to that defense.

Just wait until Mayo comes back, Butler gets more experience, and they start using Wilfork and Brace together inside. Forgetaboutit.
        Yea I wanna have Merriweather's babies. He probably wont go to the pro bowl though because he doesn't have the INTs.

As for Mayo he came back and played about half the defensive snaps yesterday and had a forced fumble so it's looking good defensively.

It also seems that they are prefering to use Myron Pryor instead of Brace inside beside Wilfork or Wright. Not really sure what's up with Brace

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig

Comment

It's not DHB's fault he has Jamarcus throwing to him.

Comment

nice overall write up/summary of the season thus far :)

I think you nailed it dead on with the Ravens defense, they just aren't playing with that high intensity we all saw last year. The blitzes aren't the same and they are struggling to pressure opposing QB's, which really hurts there secondary. While there offense looks real nice, its not good enough to carry the team. I still think they need a top flight weapon for Flacco in the pass game, so until the Baltimore Raven defense can step it up, I can't see them as a playoff contender, not with solid defensive play.

Comment

-Darren Sharper might be one of the least appreciated ball hawk FS's we've seen in the past 10 years. The guy just keeps doing it, but we always overlook him. He should not have been part of 3 teams. Im surprised that this guy has found a hard time sticking with a team. He's not a HOFer, but he's not so bad that he should warrant such little attention in FA.
              Sharper in interviews credits a lot of his success to Greg Williams' scheme. He's really been given the freedom to roam in the Defensive backfield, read QB's and and use his instincts to make plays on the ball. I'm guessing the reason he wasn't such a big factor in Minnesota's secondary the past year was because he was restricted to maybe only playing in a confined zone.

Count me in for being wrong on both Cincinnati, and Denver. It's early but both are looking like early favorites for winning their division. I think the Broncos certainly have an easier road as they just need to take care of San Diego.. but the Bengals have shown resiliency, and that they won't back down in the 4th quarter.

San Francisco's showing was poor I agree.. we'll have to see how Singletary gets his team to respond after that.. I still think they can be a solid team but overall they still need quite a few pieces before they will be able to be considered serious NFC contenders. Getting Frank Gore back will go a long way for them.. he really helps cover up how weak the Offensive line is in run blocking with his ability to get yards after contact.

Big game next week in the NFC Giants/Saints. A huge early season test for both teams... Saints Defense has done a great job through the first 4 games but they haven't really faced an experienced Quarterback I'm anxious to see how they fare.. and Manning certainly has had some dangerous weapons emerge for him this season.

Comment

Originally posted by Auron View Post
                Sharper in interviews credits a lot of his success to Greg Williams' scheme. He's really been given the freedom to roam in the Defensive backfield, read QB's and and use his instincts to make plays on the ball. I'm guessing the reason he wasn't such a big factor in Minnesota's secondary the past year was because he was restricted to maybe only playing in a confined zone.

Count me in for being wrong on both Cincinnati, and Denver. It's early but both are looking like early favorites for winning their division. I think the Broncos certainly have an easier road as they just need to take care of San Diego.. but the Bengals have shown resiliency, and that they won't back down in the 4th quarter.

San Francisco's showing was poor I agree.. we'll have to see how Singletary gets his team to respond after that.. I still think they can be a solid team but overall they still need quite a few pieces before they will be able to be considered serious NFC contenders. Getting Frank Gore back will go a long way for them.. he really helps cover up how weak the Offensive line is in run blocking with his ability to get yards after contact.

Big game next week in the NFC Giants/Saints. A huge early season test for both teams... Saints Defense has done a great job through the first 4 games but they haven't really faced an experienced Quarterback I'm anxious to see how they fare.. and Manning certainly has had some dangerous weapons emerge for him this season.

It's a big game, but too early in the season in my opinion. Things can change by the time playoffs come along. One team can cool off, or both, or 1 team can cool off while another get better or hot at the right time. I remember during our superbowl run, we lost to the Packers, Cowboys, and Pats during the regular season before playing them in the playoffs. So this game is still an important game, I would rather have it at the end of the season. But I agree, I think it will be a fun match up.

Comment

Cedric Benson is good. But he's not an MVP.

sig by fenikz
                  Originally posted by ImBrotherCain
                  You are just a terrible person.
                  Originally posted by bigbluedefense
                  I have an iPhone.

Comment

-The NFC West is going to have 1 playoff team. It will be the 4 seed. Whoever it is, will promptly be stomped out by whichever Wild Card team plays them.
                    Isn't that what everyone was saying last year at that point?

Great write up you did, as usual, can't find many things to disagree on.

Comment

-The Bills/Browns game might have been the ugliest NFL game we've seen in quite some time. That was embarassing.
                      It was about as bad as the game two years ago, but without the massive snowstorm. The only culprits for this one were two terrible, terrible passing games.

We're so bad. Anyone in our back 7 capable of stopping the run is hurt, and our passing game is about 179 degrees away from where it needs to be. Not to mention our coaching and O-line.... 9 false starts? Get out.

Comment

Originally posted by Dam8610 View Post

If the Bengals get out of Week 10 with the AFC North lead, count me as a believer. They have a rough stretch coming up.

We just got out of a tough stretch :( Divisional games in the AFC North are always tough and emotional, and we just cleared out all 3 divisional rivals in a row.

I think Houston is a weaker opponent than the Ravens and the Steelers by a lot. Chicago is playing well, and maybe they're equal to the Ravens and Steelers as far as talent goes, but they're not better. And then we replay Ravens at home.

These 3 games, in theory, should be easier than our last 3. Next up from there is a tough divisional game against the Steelers, followed by 3 easy ones in Oakland, Cleveland & Detroit.

Even if we lose to the Ravens and Steelers, despite beating them in our first meeting, and Chicago takes us down. We could still be 8-4 by week 13. And that's assuming we don't win any of our hard match ups.

P.S. this was post 1,000 zomg
                        Last edited by Bengalsrocket; 10-12-2009, 01:55 PM.

Comment

-The Bengals are forreal. And more importantly, Cedric Benson is a legit MVP candidate this year.

Yes. Cedric Benson.

Cedric Benson.

Who wouldve thought that? I was a big believer in the guy and thought he'd rejuvenate his career with the Bengals. I saw him run harder and faster than he ever did with the Bears, but I didn't expect him to be THIS good. He's a beast. I had him as my fantasy sleeper, and he's treating me pretty good right now ;)

Oh, and someone rep Rosebud for me. I said since last year that the Bengals were an up and coming team, but I didn't realize it until after they played the Giants last year. I remember prior to that game Rosebud kept telling me, don't sleep on the Bengals defense, and I was like yeah whatever. After teh game though, I became a believer. I knew that team was legit and would bounce back after seeing them play.

And they are. Theyre a good team despite Carson Palmer looking very mediocre this year. Theyre winning with defense and the run game.

Speaking of which, lets give Jonathan Joseph some love. We know about Corey Webster's dramatic turnaround (top 3 CB in the league imo behind Nmandi and Revis), but Joseph has made an impressive turnaround himself. He's been a damn good CB for 2 years now.
                          Cedric Benson's a Pro Bowl caliber runner if he gets enough help from our offensive line and stays healthy. MVP? No. Cedric's 2nd in line for the MVP of his own team, to a quarterback you referred to as having a mediocre year.

Your assessment of the Bengals is all wrong. They're competing because of their defense and running game, they're winning because of Carson Palmer. Mediocre? Not unless you're looking just at numbers. 4 Games, 4 Drives, and 4 times Carson has put this team on his back and fought to win the game. It would have been 4 wins if it had not been for that debacle against Denver. Where have you been? Carson is and continues to be the heart and soul of the Bengals. The guy is not getting the credit he deserves, it's pretty crazy.

Sorry for getting a little heated, I'm just a little tired of people looking at the numbers and assuming things about the Bengals. Some of us have watched every game, and know that the final statistics don't tell the story. Unless you witnessed Palmer's 4 drives...

vs. Denver -
                          11 plays 91 yds in 5:43. 6/6 69 yds; 1 car 2 yds. Puts the Bengals up 7-6 with 38 seconds left.

vs. Pittsburgh -
                          16 plays 71 yds in 5:00. 7/11 59 yds 1 Td; 1 car 1 yd. Game Winning 4 Yard Td pass to Andre Caldwell with 0:14 remaining. 2/2 on fourth downs.

@ Cleveland -
                          To put it into OT: 10 plays 70 yards in 4:39. 4/7 49 yds 1 Td. Game Tying 2 Yard Td pass to Chad Ochocinco on fourth down with 1:55 remaining.

To win: 13 plays 67 yards in 3:19. 4/8 51 yds; 1 carry 15 yds. 15 yard run on 4th and 11 to set up the GW FG.

@ Baltimore -
                          11 plays 80 yds in 1:53 - Td. 4/7 49 yds 1 Td; 1 car 6 yds. Game Winning 20 yd Td pass to Andre Caldwell with 22 seconds left. 1/1 4th Down Conversions.

Carson's the best Bengal and is being severely overlooked with the talk about the defense and running game. He's the miracle man and he's the reason we have any wins at this point. He's shown ability past any statistical category and is one of the most intangibly sound and gutsiest quarterbacks in the league. The word "poise" comes to mind and the word "clutch" has been ringing in my ear since Week Two.

That all being said, I liked your write-up as a whole. Just have been a bit annoyed at the lack of respect for the Bengals heart and soul and chose to illustrate it here.

big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
                          - For daily NFL draft coverage:
                          www.twitter.com/ryanlownes

Comment

I've been all over the Bengals nuts since the first Hard Knocks episode this year. I knew that the offense would be much more competent with a fired up Ochocinco and a healthy Palmer along with a revitalized Cedric Benson. If you couldn't see Benson was becoming what he was supposed to be coming out of UT you must not have watched any Bengals games last year (I don't blame you, they were awful with Fitzpatrick). People who were paying attention could also see that their defense is much better with the way they've drafted and the way Mike Zimmer has helped change the culture on the defensive side of the ball there. Zimmer deserves as much credit as Gregg Williams is getting in New Orleans right now in my opinion.

If you've been paying attention to the Bengals since last year you could see it coming that they would be a much better and complete football team. Now, I didn't see them being first in their division, even this early in the season and now that the Steelers offense has found it's rhythm they will be a tough, but at this point, it looks like the Bengals have a great shot at going 5-1 in the division because I still think they'll pull out two victories with one against the Steelers or Ravens. If they go 5-1 in the division it will be hard for them not to win the division. They aren't going to be a Super Bowl contender probably, and I think the Steelers are the best team in the division still and way better suited to perform in the playoffs, but hey, anything can happen. It could be the Bengals year.

Oh, if you couldn't tell, since the Bills season is toast already I'm a Bengals fan now lol. I think the Bengals go 11-5 and 5-1 in the division and will be the 3rd seed in the AFC (Colts 1st, Broncos 2nd).

I have to admit that I am eating some serious McDaniels crow as well. I bought into the media hate fest way too easily. Of course being on the message board doesn't help either for all of the irrational Cutler love there has been since he was a prospect coming out of Vandy. I thought McDaniels was going to be terrible with the way that offseason went and I thought that their roster lacked serious talent all over the place and thought that their defense had no chance of improving with a transition to the 3-4 with a lot of missing pieces. The offense obviously has talent but I just didn't give the team enough respect and now I'm eating a hefty serving of crow :(

I mean, everyone knew he had a lot of potential as a coach on the field, but the way he handled the off-season just turned just about everyone off on him and the Broncos. Guess its working out for them though and I've got to give credit where credits due.

Comment

While I agree that for most of Brady's career he wasn't putting up significantly better number than he's on pace for right now, but never in his career was he as inaccurate as he has been this year. In this past what kept his numbers down was a lack of weapons and dink and dunk passing scheme, not his accuracy. This year he has the weapons and dangerous passing scheme but not the accuracy. I think he'll get that accuracy back as he gets more comfortable, since he seems to get rattled by pressure like he never used to, and when that happens we'll see 2007 Brady again, not the same production but that same leet player.

As for Dallas I totally agree, we are so banged up that if players keep dropping like flies I think we might get taken out of that race by injuries and philly hasn't exactly been healthy themselves. While both teams are better than Dallas atm both would sure gladly give up a win or two to have Dallas' health and that could determine the NFC East this year.

I'm going to talk about the Bills even though they've been miserable for a second. How bad has that coaching staff been? Granted they are being held back by a young and under-talented offensive line, but last season they started Langston Walker at LT for periods of time and they weren't so impotent. To me the problem is jauron, he can get a bad/mediocre team to be motivated to succeed as an underdog, but he can not take a good/talent team and make them excel. Add to that a poor OC and a QB who's been rattled badly and you have the embarassment that is this years buffalo bills. That said if that team gets healthy and gets a good coaching staff I could see them competing for the AFC East next season, provided the bring in the right personnel in the offseason, i.e. a new LT, bring back Reed to be that possession guy and bolster their defensive depth. They need to change that environment and start holding themselves to a higher standard because they have a lot of talent on both sides of the ball.

BK

Originally posted by AcheTen
                              JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
                              Originally posted by abaddon41_80
                              Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
                              Originally posted by JBCX
                              Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.

Comment

I think with respect to the way Brady is playing, some amount of it can be attributed to losing McDaniels this off-season. McDaniels was Brady's QB coach and then the offensive coordinator that made Brady an MVP and got Cassel a big pay day. Maybe losing McDaniels did hurt the Pats offense because I don't think this offense is even as good as the one that Cassel was running last season with McDaniels. Sure its easier to say this after McDaniels goes 5-0, Orton is playing pretty solid football and Brady looks much worse though...

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information