No announcement yet.

Jets DT Kris Jenkins & Seahawks LB Lofa Tatupu out for rest of the year

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ooof, all this is some big injuries to these contenders. That Jets injury is huge, the Seahawks lost their defensive captain and the Bengals lost one player behind their defensive resurgence. It really sucks all around, that Odom injury is just tough to hear but it was always a large possibility with him. And Jenkins might be done done.

Originally posted by bearsfan_51
    Show me your Wang, if you will.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
      what if they go 4-3?

I think the Jets blitzes are starting to get picked up bc theres only so much you can do blitzing all the time. If you don't have a quality pass rusher that can help 4 man rushes, youll get exposed sooner or later, and thats happening to the Jets right now.

Time for Gholston to wake up.
      If we go to a 4-3, I think it would look something like this.

DE- Gholston and Pace
      DT- Ellis and Pouha or Douglas
      Will- Bart Scott
      Mike- David Harris
      Sam- Bryan Thomas

Sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by Hurricanes25 View Post

DE- Gholston and Pace
        Will- Bart Scott
        Mike- David Harris
        Sam- Bryan Thomas
        Do you think that Gholston can produce as a down lineman? Given the amount of trading, do you go after a replacement DT via trade or FA. Much better option then shifting your whole defensive scheme

Originally posted by bearsfan_51
        Show me your Wang, if you will.

Comment

Originally posted by aNYtitan View Post
          Do you think that Gholston can produce as a down lineman? Given the amount of trading, do you go after a replacement DT via trade or FA. Much better option then shifting your whole defensive scheme
          Imo, the only way Gholston is going to produce is as a down lineman. He just can't play LB in the 34. I think he can become a very good player playing DE in a 43.

I was taking a look at some possible Free Agent NT's and lets just say that I came away very unimpressed. I don't see anybody better than we already have in Pouha.

If we do switch to the 43 for the year we can definately upgrade Sione Pouha with guys like Dewayne Robertson, Marcus Tubbs and William Joseph just to name a few.

I doubt we do switch but it would be very interesting if we did.

Edit: The Jets just resigned NT Howard Green to take over for Jenkins. It looks like we are sticking with the 34.
          Last edited by Hurricanes25; 10-19-2009, 10:04 PM.

Sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

DE- Gholston and Pace
            Will- Bart Scott
            Mike- David Harris
            Sam- Bryan Thomas
            See I don't think so, since Ellis has struggled inside quite a bit. I'd say:

DE- Ellis and Thomas (Gholston as 3rd end, Pace with his hand down on passing downs)
            DT- Pouha and Douglas (DeVito and Green rotating in, maybe move Ellis or Gholston inside on passing downs)
            Will- Bart Scott
            Mike- David Harris
            Sam- Calvin Pace

Pace always struck me as more natural playing in space and covering guys than Thomas.

Kind of moot though as I'm sure we'll stick with the 3-4. Should be interesting to see if anyone steps up to help make up for losing Jenks, though I doubt it. I like Gholston with his hand down in the 3-4 more than standing up since he does a decent job taking up blockers, but he would be interesting in the 4-3. Still don't think he'd be that good and he'll never reach his potential, but at least he's borderline functional.
            Last edited by derza222; 10-19-2009, 10:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KCJ58 View Post
              meant to put "Seahawks LB Lofa..."

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/10/19/jets...h-knee-injury/

Kris Jenkins out with a knee injury

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true

Lofa Tatupu out with a torn left pectoral muscle.
              Time for Aaron Curry to step up and dominate.

Comment

The Jets now have ZERO starting caliber defensive linemen.

Comment

Originally posted by derza222 View Post
                  See I don't think so, since Ellis has struggled inside quite a bit. I'd say:

DE- Ellis and Thomas (Gholston as 3rd end, Pace with his hand down on passing downs)
                  DT- Pouha and Douglas (DeVito and Green rotating in, maybe move Ellis or Gholston inside on passing downs)
                  Will- Bart Scott
                  Mike- David Harris
                  Sam- Calvin Pace

Pace always struck me as more natural playing in space and covering guys than Thomas.

Kind of moot though as I'm sure we'll stick with the 3-4. Should be interesting to see if anyone steps up to help make up for losing Jenks, though I doubt it. I like Gholston with his hand down in the 3-4 more than standing up since he does a decent job taking up blockers, but he would be interesting in the 4-3. Still don't think he'd be that good and he'll never reach his potential, but at least he's borderline functional.
                  The only reason why I would put Pace at DE is because the Bryan Thomas at DE experiment failed years ago. I do see your point about Ellis though.

Sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

The only reason why I would put Pace at DE is because the Bryan Thomas at DE experiment failed years ago. I do see your point about Ellis though.
                    Again moot, but Pace failed at DE too, just in Arizona. Neither one of them was great with their hand down, but I think Pace is better at linebacker which is why I'd put him there. Either way though there's going to be trouble since neither had success in the 4-3, which is probably part of the reason Ryan wants to stick to the 3-4 even without a true nose.

Comment

Working...
                    X

Debug Information