X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matthew Jones
    started a topic List of head coaching candidates

List of head coaching candidates

Just a list I put together with Lions WMD. Feel free to add to the list, I'm sure a lot of guys are missing.

NFL Head Coaches

Brian Billick (ex-BAL HC) - Has a ring and a decent winning percentage, will probably get some looks. Didn't look much like an offensive genius in Baltimore though.

Bill Cowher (ex-PIT HC) - Possibly the most desirable coach on the market. Went out on top. Will want full control of a team, and won't take just any job.

Jim Fassel (UFL HC) - A candidate for desperate teams like the Raiders with very undesirable coaching positions. Not likely to become a coach.

Dennis Green (UFL HC) - Had a great pedigree in the NFL before going to Arizona. Also has some fantastic drafts. I don't see him getting a job though.

John Gruden (ex-TB HC) - Could be a nice option for a team that doesn't want to give GM duties of its team away. Also has a ring, but was average ever since.

Mike Holmgren (ex-SEA HC) - Took a one year sabbatical and already wants to come back. I could see him being a frontrunner for some team.

Marty Schottenheimer (ex-SD HC) - I don't think he'll come back, but it's worth mentioning that in his last season as a head coach, he went 14-2.

Mike Shanahan (ex-DEN HC) - Great coach with two rings. However, he also wants GM duties, and he's shown that he's probably not the best GM out there.

NFL Assistant Coaches

Todd Bowles (MIA AHC) - A Bill Parcells guy. Very good reputation around the league, but the Dolphins haven't been too great so far this year.

Dom Capers (GB DC) - Doing a nice job in Green Bay and was respectable as head coach in Houston. Defensive guru with a pretty good reputation.

Jeff Davidson (CAR OC) - Had a nice reputation before the playoffs last year. Jake Delhomme's meltdown may have cost him a head coaching job.

Leslie Frazier (MIN DC) - Minnesota's defense is ridiculous and Frazier was close to becoming a head coach last year in St. Louis. Will be a hot candidate.

Jason Garrett (DAL OC) - Reputation has faltered a bit over the years, but young guys are the new thing in the NFL and he almost got the Rams job last year.

Kevin Gilbride (NYG OC) - New York has a nice offense and Gilbride is the man in charge. Not the best reputation, would need to take a bad job.

Russ Grimm (ARI AHC) - A very tough coaching candidate not unlike the guy he works under, Ken Whisenhunt. Could be a top candidate this year.

Hue Jackson (BAL QBC) - Did nice things with Carson Palmer and Joe Flacco. Proved he can handle a problem child in Cincinnati with Ochocinco.

Winston Moss (GB AHC) - Probably not experienced enough for a job, but that didn't stop him from being interviewed a few times last year. Could get a look.

Mike Mularkey (ATL OC) - Wasn't anything special in Buffalo in the two years he was there, but has done some very nice work in Atlanta with Ryan and co.

Mike Nolan (DEN DC) - Flamed out miserably in San Francisco, so it might be too soon for him. Doing an amazing job in Denver with limited talent.

Ron Rivera (SD DC) - One of the top coordinator candidates. Not doing a fantastic job in San Diego but he should still end up getting a few interviews.

Brian Schottenheimer (NYJ OC) - With some improvement from Mark Sanchez down the stretch, could get interviewed. Was in the shadow of Favre last year.

Kyle Shanahan (HOU OC) - Has done some pretty good work in Houston, but Kubiak still has a big hand in playcalling. Probably a couple of years off.

Gregg Williams (NO DC) - Doing an absolutely fantastic job in New Orleans, turning their defense into a powerhouse. Was a pretty bad head coach, though.

NCAA Head Coaches

Pete Carroll (USC HC) - It's doubtful that he'll want to leave one of the best jobs in the country for an NFL job, but if he did, he'd probably get GM duties.

Kirk Ferentz (IOWA HC) - Has Iowa at 7-0 this year, and an excellent NFL pedigree. Has been a little inconsistent in the past at Iowa, but remains a top NCAA candidate.

• Rosebud
    replied
    Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
    Someone will be willing to take the job. They'll just be obscure as ****.
    How about Kevin Killdrive, he'll work for al and isn't obscure as ****.

Leave a comment:

• Paranoidmoonduck
    replied
    That was my thought. He might not even make it through the season before he's convicted of assault. Even if he avoids that, I'd be surprised if he keeps the job.

Leave a comment:

• awfullyquiet
    replied
    Why are you so sure?
    I mean, he might be in jail.

Leave a comment:

• Paranoidmoonduck
    replied
    Originally posted by SwagU View Post
    Because no one else is willing to work for Al.
    Someone will be willing to take the job. They'll just be obscure as ****.

Leave a comment:

• Shiver
    replied
    Originally posted by aNYtitan View Post
    How could I forget Herm "Play to win" Edwards? He has to be a candidate after this season. Took the Jets to the playoffs 3 out of 5 times and is definitely a passionate coach.

Leave a comment:

• fenikz
    replied
    Originally posted by broth223 View Post
    I was thinking about Russ Grimm coming home again but does anyone want a HC who got demoted from OC to OL coach/AHC in Arizona?
    he wasn't OC last year, he actually got promoted to Run Game OC, Warner and Whis call the plays but he makes the plan

Leave a comment:

• SwagU
    replied
    Why are you so sure?
    Because no one else is willing to work for Al.

Leave a comment:

• aNYtitan
    replied
    How could I forget Herm "Play to win" Edwards? He has to be a candidate after this season. Took the Jets to the playoffs 3 out of 5 times and is definitely a passionate coach.

Leave a comment:

• Paranoidmoonduck
    replied
    Originally posted by Xonraider View Post
    Cable isn't leaving... at least not this offseason.
    Why are you so sure?

Leave a comment:

• CC.SD
    replied
    Originally posted by broth223 View Post
    I was thinking about Russ Grimm coming home again but does anyone want a HC who got demoted from OC to OL coach/AHC in Arizona?
    I just want someone mean. Someone who won't put up with Shaun Phillips tweeting about going to a fancy steakhouse an hour after last night's game, etc. etc.

Leave a comment:

• Xonraider
    replied
    Originally posted by Rosebud View Post
    Kevin Gilbride to the Raiders *sacrifices a virgin to FSM*
    Cable isn't leaving... at least not this offseason.

Leave a comment:

• Brothgar
    replied
    Originally posted by SeanTaylorRIP View Post
    I wish the Skins would hire Russ Grimm and bring him back home to bring toughness to this team and run it the right way, he also would allow Snyder to keep control of the team. We all know thought that we are throwing everything at Holmgren and Chucky.

Leave a comment:

• SeanTaylorRIP
    replied
    I wish the Skins would hire Russ Grimm and bring him back home to bring toughness to this team and run it the right way, he also would allow Snyder to keep control of the team. We all know thought that we are throwing everything at Holmgren and Chucky.

Leave a comment:

• CC.SD
    replied
    Originally posted by wicket View Post
    would be a good choice by the chargers imo. Gruden isnt good at building the core of a team but if the core pieces are in place he can build whats around it just fine.
    I'd love his motivation but the fact is, the core pieces aren't in place. The D pretty much needs to be rebuilt from the ground up with Merriman's departure/J-Wall's fading/everyone else's uselessness. The O is looking pretty good but pretty soon we'll need a RB and definitely a couple more O-line pieces. Rivers, Gates and Jackson are fine, fine building blocks though.

Gruden and Rivers together could be extremely fun though, I have to admit. I'm still partial to Russ Grimm to kick some ass but Gruden is definitely up there.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X

Debug Information