No announcement yet.

NFL Running Games

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

because they know eventually Cutler will take a risk and make mistakes. The bears are a run first offense, so taking away the run is crucial. on the other hand Ron Turner is horrible so that he doesnt utilize Forte or Cutler the right way

Comment

This is a trend to notice, but still, it is only 6 weeks into the season. Some guys have 10 or even 11 games left to play, to improve their numbers. Plus their offensive lines can continue to gel and/or the offense as a whole gels. Teams might run the ball more as the weather worsens.

Maybe in a few cases it could also be a scheduling thing, ex. if a back plays 3 tough run defenses in his first 5 or 6 games, that's obviously going to considerably affect the numbers to this point.

Re: the Colts backs, they are running the ball much better than the numbers would indicate, and more importantly they are proficient as receivers and blockers (especially Addai). I'm not concerned about them at all, honestly I don't think I would trade Addai and Brown for anyone because they are a perfect fit for the Colts.
      Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

Originally posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
        because they know eventually Cutler will take a risk and make mistakes. The bears are a run first offense, so taking away the run is crucial. on the other hand Ron Turner is horrible so that he doesnt utilize Forte or Cutler the right way
        Exactly. They're willing to gamble on the unknown against Cutler and our young receivers rather than let Forte and the run game beat them. Shut that down and hope for the crazy throw from Cutler.

Comment

Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
          Exactly. They're willing to gamble on the unknown against Cutler and our young receivers rather than let Forte and the run game beat them. Shut that down and hope for the crazy throw from Cutler.
          The fact is, Forte and the "run game" haven't beat anybody this season. Hell, they barely beat anybody last season with the exception of Indianapolis, Detroit, and St. Louis. Look at his game logs.

I just don't see the productivity on the field to back up all the hype Forte got last year. His numbers are eerily similar to Ryan Grant after his first season.

Comment

Originally posted by S T R I N G View Post
            The fact is, Forte and the "run game" haven't beat anybody this season. Hell, they barely beat anybody last season with the exception of Indianapolis, Detroit, and St. Louis. Look at his game logs.

I just don't see the productivity on the field to back up all the hype Forte got last year. His numbers are eerily similar to Ryan Grant after his first season.
            If by similar you mean nothing alike, sure :P

Grant had a higher average rushing, but much less attempts. Meanwhile Forte was an all around better receiver.

Ryan Grant:

Run - 188 attempts for 956 yards (5.1 ypc) for 8 touchdowns.

Catch - 30 receptions for 145 yards (4.8 ypc) for 0 touchdowns.

Matt Forte:

Run - 316 attempts for 1,238 yards (3.9 ypc) 8 touchdowns.

Catch - 63 receptions 477 yards (7.6 ypc) for 4 touchdowns.

The main difference between the two backs in their first year, which you can tell from the stat lines and watching the games, is that the Bears needed Forte, the Packers didn't need Grant.

They're different types of backs, with very different styles and the only thing in common is that they both rushed for 8 touchdowns and are similar in size.

Comment

or minnesota... or tampa...

you have to remember, he had the highest percentage of team yards.
              he WAS the offense...

this year... the run blocking is abysmal, that's the difference between this year and last year... if you'd watch game film on forte you'd see that... it's akin to what happened to grant last year...

the difference between them is... is that they're two different backs, with different lines, but similar problems... you can't say their 'eerily' similar if one is a complete back, and the other is a pound the ball downhill runner.

it's like comparing LJ to LT.
              http://i38.tinypic.com/2aj2s7t.jpg
              For a good time call (303) 499-7111.whitspacsig by steel man

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"

Comment

Originally posted by Bengalsrocket View Post
                If by similar you mean nothing alike, sure :P

Grant had a higher average rushing, but much less attempts. Meanwhile Forte was an all around better receiver.

Ryan Grant:

Run - 188 attempts for 956 yards (5.1 ypc) for 8 touchdowns.

Catch - 30 receptions for 145 yards (4.8 ypc) for 0 touchdowns.

Matt Forte:

Run - 316 attempts for 1,238 yards (3.9 ypc) 8 touchdowns.

Catch - 63 receptions 477 yards (7.6 ypc) for 4 touchdowns.

The main difference between the two backs in their first year, which you can tell from the stat lines and watching the games, is that the Bears needed Forte, the Packers didn't need Grant.

They're different types of backs, with very different styles and the only thing in common is that they both rushed for 8 touchdowns and are similar in size.
                Huh? You're comparing the wrong years. I'm talking about 2008. They had basically identical seasons in terms of RUSHING.

Grant - 1203 yards on 312 attempts (3.9 average)
                Forte - 1238 yards on 316 attempts (3.9 average)

Now this season:

Grant - 347 yards, 91 attempts (3.8 average)
                Forte - 294 yards, 86 attempts (3.4 average)

So how exactly are they so different in terms of running the football, statistic-wise? They are both subpar backs in the NFL and haven't produced the past two seasons.

Comment

Frank Gore coming back this week....welcome back running game.

Comment

Dolphins know what's up.

Ronnie Brown has a 4.8 average and Ricky Williams has a 5.2 average.

Comment

Yeah, I've also noticed that NFL running games are lagging of late. But those are things that tend to improve as the season progresses, though. It may just be that the big names we've been accustomed to are not longer big, aside from AD. Mendenhall? Ronnie Brown/Ricky Williams? Ray Rice? MJD? I mean, we all thought they were good, but the LTs and LJs aren't doing so hot of late.

by BoneKrusher
                      <DG> how metal unseen
                      <TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that

Comment

Just wait until the weather gets cold. YPC will go up, as will the # of touches.

The true reason is a combination of multiple things, but I also think that once the weather makes it more difficult to throw (which is already starting to happen in the Northeast and Midwest), teams will concentrate on running more and be more patient with the run game.

Mark Sanchez got his first taste of the swirling winds at Giants stadium and it didn't treat him very well. I expect them to run the ball a lot more than they already have.

I expect other teams in similar situations to do the same.

Comment

All I know is that Chris Johnson has almost is like 4 yards shy of 600 yards rushing and 120 rec yards and has an average attempt of 6.3 yards per carry. All of this is great but we are still 0-6. Anybody want Chris?

j/k

Originally posted by Jurrell Casey
                          I love light skin and white women but my main chick is brown skin

Comment

Originally posted by DoughBoy View Post
                            All I know is that Chris Johnson has almost is like 4 yards shy of 600 yards rushing and 120 rec yards and has an average attempt of 6.3 yards per carry. All of this is great but we are still 0-6. Anybody want Chris?

j/k
                            just imagine what he'd do with an actual offense around him.

Comment

Seeing this list makes me feel better about Maurice Drew's "down" 4.3 ypc average.

Comment

Originally posted by S T R I N G View Post
                                Huh? You're comparing the wrong years. I'm talking about 2008. They had basically identical seasons in terms of RUSHING.

Grant - 1203 yards on 312 attempts (3.9 average)
                                Forte - 1238 yards on 316 attempts (3.9 average)

Now this season:

Grant - 347 yards, 91 attempts (3.8 average)
                                Forte - 294 yards, 86 attempts (3.4 average)

So how exactly are they so different in terms of running the football, statistic-wise? They are both subpar backs in the NFL and haven't produced the past two seasons.
                                Well you said "Ryan Grant after his first season" - 2008 wasn't Grant's first season :P

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information