Possible London Franchise?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by slightlyabroncosfan View Post
    China has 3 or 4 times as many people as the USA. If football was as big there as it is here, trust me, they'd field an international team easily able to compete with the Americans.
    lol, no. (ten letters)

RIP ST

Comment

Originally posted by awfullyquiet View Post
      Japan. Baseball. Korea. Baseball. Venezuala. Baseball. I don't know where you've been (probably Iowa), but, the MLB is globalizing.

The NBA. Globalizing.

I think you're just holed up in this xenophobic notion of wanting to maintain superior bloodlines in the sport. ITS MINE.

No dude, it's not yours.
      Baseball in general has been global for awhile, it's not a secret. But the MLB has been North America for along time too. Teams in in Asia, and South America, and others have there own independent leagues which make it easier to globalize. The same goes to basketball, already in Euorpe and Asia is gaining on it, through independent leagues. The NFL had NFL Europe, yet, not All-Pro players, but it was football.

agreed. the potential was there, and is there, but isn't properly utilized. b-level players = b level results. why do you think that UFL is on versus and not on the major networks. because ******* j.p. losman is starting and not peyton manning.
      So, for it to work, the NFL would have to consistently have an All-Pro team in Europe? And the first few years of the franchise, if it doesn't succeed, is going to fail?
      | Hawkeyes || Rams || Lakers || Braves || Avalanche |

Comment

Originally posted by slightlyabroncosfan View Post
        China has 3 or 4 times as many people as the USA. If football was as big there as it is here, trust me, they'd field an international team easily able to compete with the Americans.
        i think its 6 times, but i dont quite think it would happen

Comment

**** Europe get us a team in LA

Comment

Originally posted by drowe View Post
            But, it wasn't good enough for him. My impression of Goodell, is a jealous little brother with inferiority complex. He saw what Rozelle did for the leage, and saw what Tagliabue did for the league, and instead of being happy that things are running smoothly, he just thinks, "how can i leave my mark on football?"

The mark of a good executive is to not be "happy that things are running smoothly" and be complacent. Goodell is trying to further the brand which is a consideration towards which any stong exec should always work.

Welcome to the world of business. You may not like what he's doing or how he's doing it, but it's a smart thing for him to be doing. Your personal feelings toward the guy are clouding your ability to objectively assess his vision and actions.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs

Comment

Originally posted by KCJ58 View Post
              **** Europe get us a team in LA
              zomg zey tried in LA and it didnt workzzzzzz

Comment

Originally posted by HawkeyeFan View Post
                So, for it to work, the NFL would have to consistently have an All-Pro team in Europe? And the first few years of the franchise, if it doesn't succeed, is going to fail?
                I never said that.

FWIW, look at how many AMERICAN TEAMS, on AMERICAN SOIL, are going to fail in the future if **** doesn't happen. how many teams STILL manage to garner fans even though they've consistently sucked (see detroit, oakland, cleveland, and the houston texans).
                http://i38.tinypic.com/2aj2s7t.jpg
                For a good time call (303) 499-7111.whitspacsig by steel man

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"

Comment

Buffalo moving to Toronto is a lot more likely, even over the strenuous objections of Bills 91-yr-old owner Ralph Wilson & the Argonauts, the NFL has been trying to eat into the CFL fanbase & Canadian mktplace for decades. The 2-3 scheduled so-called home games for the Bills in Toronto are a clear indicator of this direction Goddell & the NFL are going.

btw there's been American FB among the armed forces stationed in Germany for yrs, ever since the '50s at both the active duty military & some HS levels, that's why, with the possible exception of the Barcelona Dragons, the most successful NFLE teams were in Deutschland. There was an established fanbase who knew the rules & were familiar with some of the NFL teams.

Other efforts at putting FB in Europe have been spectacular failures in their time (LOLs, takes drink from London Monarchs World Bowl I WFL Champions
                  coffee cup).
                  Last edited by LizardState; 10-23-2009, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
                    zomg zey tried in LA and it didnt workzzzzzz
                    Several times, at that. If the time difference can be successfully worked out (which I doubt) then I see no reason why LA should have another chance before trying a city like London.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs

Comment

Originally posted by drowe View Post
                      Well, Goodell, to me, seems like an ego-maniac. He followed guys like Rozelle and Tagliabue, who did great things for the leage. And, he inherited the most successful league in the country.

But, it wasn't good enough for him. My impression of Goodell, is a jealous little brother with inferiority complex. He saw what Rozelle did for the leage, and saw what Tagliabue did for the league, and instead of being happy that things are running smoothly, he just thinks, "how can i leave my mark on football?"

So, he decided he'd try for the international route. Americans love football...why can't the rest of the world. but, he's completely ignoring the fact that a team has to give up a home game every year. and the expansion thing is just crazy. 32 is a good round number. the next logical number would be 36. 6 divisions of 6 teams. And, even then ya have the issue of 8 teams having to fly halfway around the world in the middle of their season. and, the NFL KNOWS this is an issue. that's why they have the Pats and Bucs going to London before their bye week. think that'll be an option everytime this alleged London team has a home game?

I don't like Goodell. I don't like his intentions and i don't like where his priorities are. I know the labor dispute isn't his fault and he just inherited it...but, I hope he gets blamed. I hope the perception is that the NFL had 20 years of peace and prosperity...then a looming lockout within 2 years of Goodell taking over.

The guy isn't gonna be happy until every player in the league is a faceless boyscout and American football has replaced soccer as the #1 sport around the globe.
                      You mentioning soccer brings up another point for me. If you're in a 3rd world country, all you need is a ball to play soccer. Play it on the streets, play it in a field, whatever. You get a ball, you kick it around, at its' very simplest, that is soccer. Basketball, not much more complicated, but you need a hoop. Bounce the ball, shoot it, that's basketball at its' simplest.

Football at its' simplest? How does that work. Okay so you have a ball... you can throw it to a friend. So now you two can play QB/WR. But it's far more complicated to get into blocking, tackling, etc. It's difficult to take football to its simplest.

Let's look at it another way: You're abducted by an alien. He's curious about all these sports played here on earth. He shows you a video of soccer and asks for a quick explanation. You tell him that only the guy in the funky shirt can touch the ball with his hands, everyone else tries to kick it into the other teams' goal. Basketball? You bounce it, and you try to put it into the other team's goal. Hockey? You hit the puck with a stick and try to put it into the other team's goal. Those guys in combat suits try to stop the puck. Football? The team with the ball tries to pass the goal line, the team without it tries to stop them. The team with the ball can throw it or run it. "But what about those big guys, why aren't they trying to catch the ball?"

So at it's root it's more complicated than other sports. There are so many things going on on every single play that someone could see and ask about. You don't get that in other sports. So it's harder for outside fans to really catch on.

Anyway, I think globalizing football is a great idea. It increases the talent pool, improving the game. But I don't think it would be a good idea to put an NFL team in London.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                      Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
                      Originally posted by njx9
                      do i tell you when to flip the burger?

Comment

Originally posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
                        i think its 6 times, but i dont quite think it would happen
                        We're talking 53 players, here. I don't think it's a stretch at all to assume that a football crazed China can't come up with 53 players to match the 53 best America can come up with. With 6 times the talent pool.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                        Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
                        Originally posted by njx9
                        do i tell you when to flip the burger?

Comment

Don't see how it would work. The London team would be screwed not the teams in their division. The team in their division would only have 1 game where they have to travel far. Basically the travel takes away a day so its like you play on Monday night and then on Sunday the next week for the teams that travel to London. The London team would have 8 away games in a very different time zone plus a long trip back before home games.

Comment

Let's get a team in Canada before we get a team in Europe. That's a big step. Let the NBA test that one for sports first, then we'll talk.

Europe's interest in football is growing, but it's not big enough to take a chance by giving them a franchise yet. Hell, I'm not sure they would even WANT one yet. That's a huge, huge step. That's at the very least, twenty years away. I'm all for the expansion of the game to a global level, and Goodell is smart to try to expand, but this is way premature. I don't think he's necessarily talking about doing this in a couple of years though. Sounds like more of a long term goal.
                            Last edited by ElectricEye; 10-23-2009, 02:29 PM.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingElvis View Post
                              The mark of a good executive is to not be "happy that things are running smoothly" and be complacent. Goodell is trying to further the brand which is a consideration towards which any stong exec should always work.

Welcome to the world of business. You may not like what he's doing or how he's doing it, but it's a smart thing for him to be doing. Your personal feelings toward the guy are clouding your ability to objectively assess his vision and actions.
                              sorry, but expanding to europe...or asia..or africa..or underwater, or the moon is only good for goodell and the 32 members of the billionaire boys club, aka, the owners. it screws the players. and it screws the fans.

I know very well that the NFL is a business. But, that only goes so far.

We're force-feeding football to europe, while countless cities in the US would LOVE to have an NFL team.

and, it disrupts the competitive balance. what happens if a team moves to london? Draft Prospects would refuse to sign. traded players would refuse to sign. free agents would list the team 32 out of 32. not all the time. but enough to put the franchise at a huge competitive disadvantage.

christ, there's already the issue of east coast teams having a terrible time playing on the west coast. what do you think happens when we need to schedule 8 games in london. every team on the schedule is gonna want it in front of a bye, or not at all.

it opens up a huge problem for the draft, free agency, scheduling, logistics...all so we can put a team in a place where we're basing the interest level on the fact that the 1 game a year we play there is a big deal.

but, at least the owners will get a little richer.

Comment

What no one brought up is there also would be a monetary issue. Would the players be paid in American dollars or British Pounds? If they get paid in american money and then get taxed for living in Great Britain it would really make no sense. It would the throw the salary cap off big time if there is still one.
                                #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information