No announcement yet.

Alex Smith named 49ers starting QB

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I LOVED him coming out. He just seemed to have "it" in college, combined with the physical tools and intelligence I thought he would be absolutely money. There were signs of life when Norv Turner was there in 2006. Even interception to touchdown ratio, decent completion percentage, problem was the ****** team. Looked really good at spots though. I don't think his career is dead and this could be his time. I certainly hope it is. The entire sentiment about him being a class act is right. Never complained throughout the entire thing, never asked for more than he's earned. He deserves to have it work out for him this time around.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Never was a fan, and thought it was a bad pick, but I hope it works out for San Fran, because I really like the organization, one of my favorite teams growing up, and I really like a lot of the players on the team now.

If they can have their QB in Smith, and still have that high draft pick from Carolina, they can load up really quickly.
      Originally posted by SNIPER26
      fwiw, i amz deunks ofs myt ass. ilo vez drinmoinz befotre i post. wha t a hreat ideas.z.

Comment

You guys are far more optimistic than we Niner fans.

He went up against a defense that has a weak secondary, a 21-point spot, and gameplanned against a totally different QB.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

He can't be worse than Shaun Hill. He had a decent year with Antonio Bryant, then he and Nolan butted heads, now he has a lot of weapons. I don't expect great, but I think he can play.

Comment

I wish Tavaris Jackson could be as awesome as Alex Smith.

sig by fenikz
            Originally posted by ImBrotherCain
            You are just a terrible person.
            Originally posted by bigbluedefense
            I have an iPhone.

Comment

Originally posted by Brent View Post
              You guys are far more optimistic than we Niner fans.

He went up against a defense that has a weak secondary, a 21-point spot, and gameplanned against a totally different QB.
              Playing devil's advocate, you could also say he didn't practice with the ones since August, hadn't played meaningful football in almost 2 years, and put life into a team that was bottom 5 in almost all major passing categories. Also, in the past it didn't really matter if Smith faced a good or bad defense, he always struggled save for a select few games.

I'm leaning towards the game against Houston probably being a fluke, but i just want Smith to become the QB we drafted him to be. It would be nice to have the position solidified.
              Last edited by 49ersfan_87; 10-26-2009, 11:19 PM.

Comment

I hope he does well, leaves SF and comes to Carolina, I've always had a man boner for Smith and I hope he does well.

Comment

It all depends on if he's improved his footwork. That was the biggest flaw in his game. It made him very inaccurate. If he's got his footwork up to an NFL level, then I think he can be successful. If not, then he'll be the old Alex.
                  The Brian Sabean sig is no more. I disagreed with you on so many levels. And then you went out and built a dynasty. I am lame.

Comment

Originally posted by BlindSite View Post
                    I hope he does well, leaves SF and comes to Carolina, I've always had a man boner for Smith and I hope he does well.
                    he's signed through 2010-2011, so I dont see that happening.

Comment

In the old days it would take 4-5 years to develop a QB. But with economics now and fans impatience people want results now. Hopefully for Smith he finally comes around and becomes a player, and maybe by default takes Vernon Davis along with him.
                      J. MESS

Comment

Wow. A lot of love for Smith going on here.

Comment

Smith at this point simply gives us the best chance to win. He can't do any worse than Shaun Hill at this point, and that is the good news.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
                          -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
                          Originally posted by Borat
                          Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

Originally posted by Ness View Post
                            Smith at this point simply gives us the best chance to win. He can't do any worse than Shaun Hill at this point, and that is the good news.
                            how is that good news? hooray, we have two mediocre-to-bad QBs. CHAMPIONSHIP.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricEye View Post
                              I LOVED him coming out. He just seemed to have "it" in college, combined with the physical tools and intelligence I thought he would be absolutely money.
                              My thoughts exactly. I hope the game vs the Colts turns into a shootout
                              -Boston Red Sox-New England Patriots-Boston Celtics-

Comment

Originally posted by nepg View Post
                                Not really. He's got over half the seaon + playoffs to show what he can do. This isn't like San Diego where they had Drew Brees playing great, but had already drafted Rivers... This is as if San Diego put off drafting a QB for one more year... Brees could have been throwing to Larry Fitzgerald (Crabtree). Think about that **** for a second...
                                Eh you can play the hypothetical game all over the draft. Unless Smith turns in a pro bowl caliber season from here on out, I think that he won't be the 9ers long term answer.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information