Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Darren McFadden getting a pass on criticism.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by P-L View Post
    Where were you prior to the 2008 draft? I'd say at least 60% of this board had McFadden as being a better prospect than Peterson.

The Vikings' offensive line might be a lot better than the Raiders, but it isn't like Minnesota had a competent passing game until this year.
    There were a lot that thought McFadden was the better prospect. One guy said he was comparable to Bo Jackson.
    Originally posted by SNIPER26
    fwiw, i amz deunks ofs myt ass. ilo vez drinmoinz befotre i post. wha t a hreat ideas.z.

Comment

McFadden is not at fault for what's wrong with Oakland. He was in retrospect overdrafted but so are a lot of guys. Anyone who looked at Oakland's offseason that year...loading up on guys and paying out serious contracts (even if they were to players like Javon Walker and Deangelo Hall) knew that they were going to try and make a run, and taking the 'instant offense' RB was the right pick in that scenario.

However, it didn't quite work out. Oops.

Comment

It would have been interesting to have seen Run DMC slide past OAK and fall to the Jets at 6 because who knows how he'd get used or played under a more respectable O-Line.

Too bad Al Davis had to ruin that thought though.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengalsrocket View Post
          "only as good as his line" is the wrong term. But there is a limit to what a RB can do behind a crappy line.

If you never get to the second level, you have a very low chance of being successful.
          Wasn't Barry Sanders lineman only considered average at best? Not saying Peterson's HOF.. Just wondering how good Barry's o-line was looked at.

In my kiddy years I remember it being barry = the lions
          Jets, Mets, Knicks, and the U's too cool for uze

Sig by, Hitman D

Comment

Originally posted by katnip View Post
            Wasn't Barry Sanders lineman only considered average at best? Not saying Peterson's HOF.. Just wondering how good Barry's o-line was looked at.

In my kiddy years I remember it being barry = the lions
            I remember Barry always had a million cuts to make before reaching the line of scrimmage so they must have been pretty durn terrible. Don't even mention Sanders in this thread.

Comment

idk, maybe I was just blind as I had Rice and JStew as my top 2 RB's in the DMC draft and loved AD, but that's just me.

but I mean, he's in oakland, he gets a pass out of pity for him
              We ALL bleed scarlet
              New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
              UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
              Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
              BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

I called both Bush and Mcfadden as busts, but I liked McFadden more than Bush. Look at the skinny legs on both of them (compared to, say, Chris Johnson) and you'll know why they struggle running the ball in the big leagues.

Comment

Originally posted by scottyboy View Post
                  idk, maybe I was just blind as I had Rice and JStew as my top 2 RB's in the DMC draft and loved AD, but that's just me.

but I mean, he's in oakland, he gets a pass out of pity for him
                  It's amazing how your epic homerism is turning out to be spot on.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                  Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
                  Originally posted by njx9
                  do i tell you when to flip the burger?

Comment

Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
                    I called both Bush and Mcfadden as busts, but I liked McFadden more than Bush. Look at the skinny legs on both of them (compared to, say, Chris Johnson) and you'll know why they struggle running the ball in the big leagues.
                    It's not necessarily the skinny legs,but the inability to be decisive about hitting the hole.McFadden runs too high,but if he were more decisive instead of trying to bounce it out and get more yards,he could be a solid 4 YPC guy. Bush has the size to do the exact same thing.

Fargas is a decisive runner,which is why he's the most reliable of our backfield.

mucho props to wiscbadgerfootball

Originally posted by scottyboy
                    like honestly lebron, instead of south beach, why don't you take your talents and just shove them up your ass.

Comment

Originally posted by Halsey View Post
                      If a RB was only as good as his line then that means any back could run as well behind Minnesota's line as Peterson does. Do you really believe any RB in the league would be as good as Peterson if they played for Minnesota? Conversely, If Peterson ran behind Oakland's line, do you really believe Peterson would average 3.1ypc? Really? Come on now.
                      No, I imagine Peterson would be doing better than 3.1 in Oakland. That's because he's a better running back. However, we shouldn't damn McFadden because he's worse than Peterson. Because, realistically, so is every other runner in the NFL. And considering that Chester Taylor has averaged 4.5 YPC during Peterson's three years in Minnesota, I do think that an average runner would find success in Minnesota that even a great runner wouldn't find in Oakland right now.

Comment

Adrian Peterson is an all time talent at runningback. We're talking Eric Dickerson, Earl Campbell, Walter Payton, Bo Jackson, Herschel Walker, and Jim Brown in terms of guys who he is with in terms of talent. He's one of those guys you can just tell when he runs. Nobody is like him in the league right now. Guys like that don't

I never really thought McFadden was close to that, but I didn't think he was going to struggle this much either. He's lost the ability to absorb contact in the NFL. He was never spectacular at that in college, but he did run with some power for Arkansas. It's not like he wasn't getting touched in the SEC. You don't run for 1600+ yards consecutive years with close to 300 carries in both of them as a scat back. Not giving up on him yet, but the knock on his legs is proving to be pretty true. He's able to get by smaller guys, but if he goes up against anyone his size or bigger he goes down on first contact. The Raiders line improving could make him look night and day better, but he still has some major weight room work to do. There's been flashes between the injuries, but it's always been in space. Bush is a pretty lazy comparison for his play, but it works as of right now, unfortunately. I'll still maintain they were very different runners in college.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Im still willing to give DMC a pass for now. Opposing defenses put like 11 people in the box because of no passing game.

Comment

The revisionist history on McFadden vs. Peterson slays me. About half of this forum liked Marshawn Lynch over Adrian Peterson, including a lot of well respected posters. There were quite a few who thought McFadden was as good as it gets. Of course all that changed in hindsight, but it was very close back in the day. Peterson was hardly the can't miss prospect.

Darren McFadden's problems are the same things he's always had. He fumbles way too often, but I wouldn't blame his low YPC on him. The Oakland offense he has been in is dreadful. He is facing 9 man fronts daring Russell and co. to beat them. If you put McFadden in Minnesota, behind Hutchinson and McKinnie I guarantee you he would be doing a lot better.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiver View Post
                              The revisionist history on McFadden vs. Peterson slays me. About half of this forum liked Marshawn Lynch over Adrian Peterson, including a lot of well respected posters. There were quite a few who thought McFadden was as good as it gets. Of course all that changed in hindsight, but it was very close back in the day. Peterson was hardly the can't miss prospect.

Darren McFadden's problems are the same things he's always had. He fumbles way too often, but I wouldn't blame his low YPC on him. The Oakland offense he has been in is dreadful. He is facing 9 man fronts daring Russell and co. to beat them. If you put McFadden in Minnesota, behind Hutchinson and McKinnie I guarantee you he would be doing a lot better.
                              I remembered Adrian Peterson.
                              Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
                              The APS is strong in this one.
                              Originally posted by killxswitch
                              Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

I love how everyone bar a few posters are claiming that it was some massive consensus opinion that Peterson was this sure thing and DMC was just 'overdrafted'. Do you all only have a memory stretching back to Monday?

DMC, especially on these boards was largely seen as very close to or even equal to AD, and alot of posters thought he was a better prospect.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information