Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Darren McFadden getting a pass on criticism.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good or bad Mcfadden at this point is completely irrelevant a sub reggie bush type of player

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
    Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

"(Ole Miss QB) Bo Wallace is one of those types of quarterbacks who is always trying to save the city but he's actually burning it down." -- NFC director of scouting

Comment

• Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
      1. Peterson (had him as the best overall player in his entire draft class...over Megatron, Thomas, Russell, etc. One of the few runningbacks ever worthy of being taken in the top 5 and he goes 7th overall haha)

2. Deangelo Williams
      3. Marshawn Lynch
      4. Cedric Benson
      5. Jonathan Stewart

My next tier is a jumbled mess of guys like Cadillac, Felix Jones, MJD, etc.
      Ronnie Brown?

Anyhow, either McFadden will be healthy for a season or he won't be and will bust through a failure to consistently see the field. Right now he's the kind of guy who can take a dump off or a screen pass and sprint 20 yards before the defense can react, but that's about it. He's not showing great vision and he absolutely sucks at running through tackles.

It's sad. I wanted him here and I thought he could be dominant (that game against KC his rookie year didn't hurt that conviction), but right now Bush is easily the more viable every down runner.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
        Ronnie Brown?

Anyhow, either McFadden will be healthy for a season or he won't be and will bust through a failure to consistently see the field. Right now he's the kind of guy who can take a dump off or a screen pass and sprint 20 yards before the defense can react, but that's about it. He's not showing great vision and he absolutely sucks at running through tackles.

It's sad. I wanted him here and I thought he could be dominant (that game against KC his rookie year didn't hurt that conviction), but right now Bush is easily the more viable every down runner.
        I wasn't high on Brown, but it had more to do with me liking Cadillac more as a runner than anything. Cadillac pre-injury was one of the most fun runningbacks to watch. He was so fluid in his movements it was ridiculous.

******* Gruden ran him into the ground six weeks into his rookie season. Ugh.

Comment

• Cadillac was super fluid, but I think we've all forgotten Ronnie Brown's insane athleticism. Dude ran over college defenders like he was Bo Jackson and was awesome at the combine.

That was such a good duo of college tailbacks. Damn.

Comment

• Am I the only person who thinks that Darren McFadden's draft stock was overly inflated because of the "wildhog"? It was still a new concept, relatively, and it took college and the NFL by storm. Now it's newness has worn off and it isn't as dynamic as it once was. It emphasized his strengths and masked his weaknesses I feel.

Comment

• That is definitely the case. He got a lot of space up the middle at Arkansas as a result of the wildhog. That said, McFadden was still wildly successful as a I-back at Arkansas. He accelerated through the line as well as anyone in the nation at the time, he made his one cut consistently, and could stiff-arm any college DB without much concern. Both Oakland's inconsistency inside and his inability to stay healthy have given us very little to judge his ability to be that single deep back in the NFL.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shiver View Post
                Am I the only person who thinks that Darren McFadden's draft stock was overly inflated because of the "wildhog"? It was still a new concept, relatively, and it took college and the NFL by storm. Now it's newness has worn off and it isn't as dynamic as it once was. It emphasized his strengths and masked his weaknesses I feel.
                I think it's just another case of a player with elite production and elite measureables whose game just doesn't quite translate to the NFL.

He really just needs to put some meat on those legs, and he'd be fine I think.

Comment

• I would say that if anything, McFadden's draft stock was inflated due to Adrian Peterson's success as a rookie. The two were perpetually compared and/or linked during their respective college careers, and I think that after Peterson came to the NFL and blew up, people assumed that his college counterpart McFadden could have the same sort of dynamic effect on an offense. Of course, McFadden was never half the prospect that Peterson was, but I think that alot of revisionist history goes on surrounding the two. There was an "I Remember Adrian Peterson" movement for a reason...alot of people, especially on this board, never thought he would stay healthy. I remember around draft time the year after, many people liked McFadden better then Peterson as a prospect.
                  Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
                  The APS is strong in this one.
                  Originally posted by killxswitch
                  Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

• I didn't think McFadden was worth a top 10 pick at the time, but I had no idea he'd be so unimpressive. I thought he would be a good RB, but it's the rare back that's worth a top 5-10 pick.

Comment

• Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
                      1. Peterson (had him as the best overall player in his entire draft class...over Megatron, Thomas, Russell, etc. One of the few runningbacks ever worthy of being taken in the top 5 and he goes 7th overall haha)
                      2. Deangelo Williams
                      3. Marshawn Lynch
                      4. Cedric Benson
                      5. Jonathan Stewart

My next tier is a jumbled mess of guys like Cadillac, Felix Jones, MJD, etc.

I'm a sucker for power backs. I was really, really down on Reggie Bush and McFadden (I liked Run DMC more than Reggie, though. Reggie's probably been my least favorite RB prospect ever).

I like me the power guys too, versatile doesnt hurt either.

I liked reggie but not really as a running back, more as a toy. i thought with a creative playcaller he could get the space hed need to make plays, but that as a traditional back hed be ok but not special.

1 J Stewart: animal, absolutely loved him
                      2 Peterson: also an animal but neve been big on tall rb's
                      3 Benson: dude was just solid
                      4 reggie: if used properly, more as a guy with equal catches/rush attempts
                      5 moreno: loved how angry he ran

To be fair though, i didnt rank a lot of guys because i never saw them. caddy, brown, d.williams, never saw them in college so i cant judge. i saw mcfadden at arkansas but was just never that blown away, looked kinda stiff to me, like a sprinter and not a runner idk.

for the future im liking Trent Richardson, reminds me a little of ricky williams with his power and speed at almost the same size.
                      Originally posted by Thumper/JBCX/Bixby
                      Orton will never be in the same class as the Drew Brees or the Peyton Mannings or the Tom Bradys of the world. Kevin Kolb has the potential to be that kind of player.

Comment

• I absolutely loved Cedric Benson at Texas. The guy was unreal. If Im ranking RBs going back to the 2005 draft, which you all seem to be doing, it would look something like...

1. Adrian Peterson
                        2. Cedric Benson
                        3. DeAngelo Williams
                        4. Johnathon Stewart
                        5. C.J Spiller
                        6. Beanie Wells

For what its worth, I thought Chris Johnson was going to be a huge bust. I thought the Titans were crazy for making that pick.
                        Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
                        The APS is strong in this one.
                        Originally posted by killxswitch
                        Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by hockey619 View Post
                          I like me the power guys too, versatile doesnt hurt either.

I liked reggie but not really as a running back, more as a toy. i thought with a creative playcaller he could get the space hed need to make plays, but that as a traditional back hed be ok but not special.

1 J Stewart: animal, absolutely loved him
                          2 Peterson: also an animal but neve been big on tall rb's
                          3 Benson: dude was just solid
                          4 reggie: if used properly, more as a guy with equal catches/rush attempts
                          5 moreno: loved how angry he ran

To be fair though, i didnt rank a lot of guys because i never saw them. caddy, brown, d.williams, never saw them in college so i cant judge. i saw mcfadden at arkansas but was just never that blown away, looked kinda stiff to me, like a sprinter and not a runner idk.

for the future im liking Trent Richardson, reminds me a little of ricky williams with his power and speed at almost the same size.
                          i loved reggie....i still kinda love reggie since he shafted USC, i always thought he should have put his start RB ego aside and come out as a WR...hopefully we see the same reggie we saw in the playoffs this season.

i loved stewart, thought he was the closest thing to LT since LT, just great in all aspects. power, speed, blocking, receiving...he did it all
                          E]

Comment

• I think of past RB's my list as prospects would be something like this:

1. Raymell Rice- none of you can argue that I had him #1. Homerism wins out!
                            2. Caddy- Like YFS said, watching him run was just a treat
                            3. Ronnie Brown- honestly, he and Caddy are 2a and 2b. Loved watching these guys do what they do.
                            4. Adrian Peterson- wasn't a HUGE fan, but I realized he was just gonna be flat out good.
                            5. J-Stew- I posted all the time saying he was the 1b to Raymell for me in that draft.
                            We ALL bleed scarlet
                            New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
                            UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
                            Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
                            BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

• I loved Chris Johnson coming out but even I couldn't have imagined he'd be this good.

Comment

• Originally posted by A Perfect Score View Post
                                I absolutely loved Cedric Benson at Texas. The guy was unreal. If Im ranking RBs going back to the 2005 draft, which you all seem to be doing, it would look something like...

1. Adrian Peterson
                                2. Cedric Benson
                                3. DeAngelo Williams
                                4. Johnathon Stewart
                                5. C.J Spiller
                                6. Beanie Wells

For what its worth, I thought Chris Johnson was going to be a huge bust. I thought the Titans were crazy for making that pick.
                                i would go

Peterson
                                Stewart
                                Reggie
                                Lynch (loved him)
                                Benson
                                Mendenhall

idk where michael bush would have fell if he didnt get injured, i did at one point have him over peterson so who knows

chris johnson out of ECU was fast, weak and had little girl hands....no one thought hed be as good as he is. he was a poor man reggie bush, not reggie as a prospect, reggie as an established disappointment
                                Last edited by K Train; 08-31-2010, 03:57 PM.
                                E]

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information