Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Darren McFadden getting a pass on criticism.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hilarious! After most of this board had a raging boner for Marshawn Lynch (many, many, many had him over Peterson) that only the guy who joined in 2010 has him as one of his favorite "prospects." This thread has more revision than you can shake a stick at.

Anyway mine:

1. Carnell Williams
    2. Ronnie Brown
    3. Cedric Benson

1. Reggie Bush
    2. Laurence Maroney
    3. Joseph Addai
    4. DeAngelo Williams
    5. Maurice Jones-Drew
    6. LenDale White

I was way off this year. The forum definitely had a DeAngelo Williams man-crush.

1. Adrian Peterson
    2. Marshawn Lynch

I never had to join "I Remember Adrian Peterson" because I never fell for the Marshawn Lynch trap.

1. Rashard Mendenhall
    2. Darren McFadden
    3. Jonathan Stewart
    4. Matt Forte
    5. Felix Jones

I was huge on the Mendenhall is no. 1 camp. I thought McFadden would be good, but not great and I was skeptical of Jonathan Stewart.
    Last edited by Shiver; 08-31-2010, 03:15 PM.

Comment

• It wasn't that many Shiver. There were a handful of Lynch guys, but the vast majority still liked Peterson better.

EDIT: There is more revisionist history in regards to McFadden/Peterson than there is to Lynch/Peterson.

Comment

• there was a fair amount of Lynch love. we're going in the wayy back machine here if we're bringing back Caddy and Ronnie.
        but yea, Raymell <3
        i'm sorry, I just can't help it, i've got problems.
        We ALL bleed scarlet
        New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
        UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
        Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
        BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

• Originally posted by P-L View Post
          It wasn't that many Shiver. There were a handful of Lynch guys, but the vast majority still liked Peterson better.

EDIT: There is more revisionist history in regards to McFadden/Peterson than there is to Lynch/Peterson.

I seem to remember it being 50-50. The injuries were a concern, but also people didn't like his tall upright running style. They loved Lynch's body type, his physicality and his pass catching. He was more of the "pro" back.

McFadden/Peterson was something too. Mel Kiper and everyone here had McFadden as the better pro prospect; then, Adrian Peterson got 296 yards against the Chargers and literally everyone rewrote their prognostications on Peterson. Then the next year everyone pretended that Peterson was the vastly superior prospect all along. BS.

Comment

• I wanted Lynch to fall to the Packers in '07 more than anything because I knew it was unrealistic that Peterson would. I probably talked more about Lynch for that sole fact but in my eyes, Peterson was clearly a better prospect.

Comment

• Amazing that Peterson was the one with durability concerns and yet it has been McFadden whose career has been ruined by them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shiver View Post
                I seem to remember it being 50-50. The injuries were a concern, but also people didn't like his tall upright running style. They loved Lynch's body type, his physicality and his pass catching. He was more of the "pro" back.

McFadden/Peterson was something too. Mel Kiper and everyone here had McFadden as the better pro prospect; then, Adrian Peterson got 296 yards against the Chargers and literally everyone rewrote their prognostications on Peterson. Then the next year everyone pretended that Peterson was the vastly superior prospect all along. BS.
                I remember this, and I thought it was one of the more asinine collective opinions this board has ever had.

For whatever reason, this board can't differentiate between freak injuries and being injury prone. Beanie Wells caught the same "injury prone" rap as Peterson, when the only injury he suffered was a high ankle sprain that hampered him in his junior campaign. People on this board would lead you to believe that Fred Taylor is an ironman compared to those two coming out.

I was sold on Peterson five games into his freshman year at Oklahoma. Dude was leg pressing over 1000 lbs with one leg as an 18 year old kid. He's one of the few guys ever who could have made the jump straight to the NFL.

Comment

• One of my beefs with this forum is how users throw out the "Well, everyone liked this prospect! But I was the smart one and liked the other guy all along!"

Well, it's a message board, we have proof. Instead of just generally saying "everyone felt this way", link up some threads that actually confirm that "everyone felt that way".

And for the record, when you're comparing two draft prospects there's always going to be a minority (either large or big) that elevates the #2 or #3 consensus prospect and declares that he's better. It's just the nature of the game. Toonster (who I haven't seen in a while) was notorious for this.
                  aka KGB Chicken

Comment

Amazing that Peterson was the one with durability concerns and yet it has been McFadden whose career has been ruined by them.
                    It just shows what a crapshoot injury predictions are unless there's a sound medical reason.

Comment

• Originally posted by San Diego Chicken View Post
                      One of my beefs with this forum is how users throw out the "Well, everyone liked this prospect! But I was the smart one and liked the other guy all along!"

Well, it's a message board, we have proof. Instead of just generally saying "everyone felt this way", link up some threads that actually confirm that "everyone felt that way".

And for the record, when you're comparing two draft prospects there's always going to be a minority (either large or big) that elevates the #2 or #3 consensus prospect and declares that he's better. It's just the nature of the game. Toonster (who I haven't seen in a while) was notorious for this.
                      The draft forum only goes back to 2009. The NFL forum goes back to 2006.

Comment

The draft forum only goes back to 2009. The NFL forum goes back to 2006.
                        Yeah, I could only find two old posts I made about McFadden, and they were both about how I thought Jonathan Stewart was better. And both of those were in the College Football thread. I wasn't really posting as much that in that 07-08 timeframe, though.

I want to read 2006 stuff with Moses telling anyone who would listen that Reggie Bush was Gale Sayers/Marshall Faulk combined into one prospect and was a sure-fire Hall of Famer.

I will say, though, that more people than I remembered thought McFadden was overrated as a prospect.

Comment

• Man, I loved the hell out of DeAngelo Williams. I remember being so bummed out when the Panthers took about 6 seconds to pick him.

Comment

• Originally posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
                            Man, I loved the hell out of DeAngelo Williams. I remember being so bummed out when the Panthers took about 6 seconds to pick him.
                            ME TOOOOOOOOO. Gah, I had such a huge mancrush on him and Jonathan Stewart, and the Panthers got both of them.

Comment

• http://draftcountdown.com/forum/show...arren+mcfadden
                              http://draftcountdown.com/forum/show...arren+mcfadden

There is your link. McFadden got just as much love as Adrian Peterson did. I like these threads because I was in the Peterson > McFadden > Bush camp. It wasn't a consensus, but the numbers were pretty evenly split.

Comment

• Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
                                Yeah, I could only find two old posts I made about McFadden, and they were both about how I thought Jonathan Stewart was better. And both of those were in the College Football thread. I wasn't really posting as much that in that 07-08 timeframe, though.

I want to read 2006 stuff with Moses telling anyone who would listen that Reggie Bush was Gale Sayers/Marshall Faulk combined into one prospect and was a sure-fire Hall of Famer.

I will say, though, that more people than I remembered thought McFadden was overrated as a prospect.

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/show...mario+williams

Still not old enough. There are no records of the immediate, after the draft discussions. Argh. Those were classic.
                                Last edited by Shiver; 08-31-2010, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information