Chiefs cutting Larry Johnson

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Larry Johnson insists he has no anger issues

"No, it's not an anger issue," Johnson said. "I have a competitive issue. I like to put myself in situations where I always want to win, no matter what it is. I think sometimes that gets the best of me and I become overly competitive and try to control every little thing I can to make sure I'm winning everything and everyone around me is going to win, and sometimes I lose myself in that."

"I'm still going to try to run hard on every play," Johnson said.

"I was -- and still am -- the biggest Todd Haley fan," Johnson said. "I am a big Todd Haley fan and I'm a Scott Pioli fan."

Comment

RT @Adam_Schefter: Filed to ESPN: No team claimed running back Larry Johnson, which means he now is free to sign with any team.

Follow Me on Twitter!
      https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam

Comment

Per Adam Schefter's twitter page:

And now we start eliminating LJ landing spots: No more Houston - Gary Kubiak's team sticking with its backs.

http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter

Props to clover_jeez!

Comment

Good move by Houston they have things going in the right direction some one like LJ could blow the whole thing.

Comment

The teams I feel have a shot of signing Larry Johnson:

Chargers - The Chargers are having a ton of trouble running the ball this year, and I don't think LaDainian Tomlinson's future prospects with the team are looking very good, so I doubt they'd really be afraid of upsetting him by bringing in some competition. They've also seen first-hand what kind of games Johnson can have, and I don't think much would motivate him more than getting a shot against the Chiefs later on this year. He'd get to play a lot of pretty easy run defenses over the rest of the year.

Eagles - Brian Westbrook has been missing games and if they took a chance on Vick, I could see them taking a chance on Larry Johnson as well. Johnson would have a role similar to what Buckhalter had before. However, Weaver has been playing pretty well and the Eagles could be happy with what they've got. For what it's worth, he went to Penn State, so he might have some fans there.

Patriots - Most people look at the Patriots deal for Corey Dillon, although I think the main thing is that Dillon was still effective and the Patriots were getting pretty desperate for a back. I could still kind of see it (and for some sick reason I'd be a little bit excited), but I think in order for it to happen the Patriots would need to put Taylor on I.R. Belichick didn't completely rule it out earlier and said they'd talk about it.

Redskins - Clinton Portis went down with a concussion, so it makes some sense that the Redskins would want Larry Johnson. Still, I doubt he'd really play very much once Portis gets back, and I don't know if he wants to go to a team this bad. LJ's best shot at a payday is performing in the postseason, and he won't get that shot in Washington. If he doesn't have a few suitors, this might be his fourth or fifth choice.

Steelers - LJ said he wants to play here. Who wouldn't? That doesn't mean the Steelers would sign him, though. They took a chance on Bettis once, and so it's certainly possible. I don't think he's up to the Rooney family's standards, though. Also, it doesn't really seem like the Steelers need him much - Mendenhall hasn't been the most durable, but right now he's playing lights-out and it'd be hard to justify taking enough carries away from him to make Johnson worth it.

Texans - Adam Schefter ruled this out, so I'd be inclined to take his word for it, but let's just look - Steve Slaton had a fumbling problem and lost his job, and last game Ryan Moats put the ball on the ground. I don't think LJ is a great fit, and apparently Kubiak likes his guys, but if you take what Schefter said out of the equation, it looks like the Texans might be interested in another guy. LJ would be a great compliment to those quicker guys if he stepped up his play.

To be honest, I'm not sure any team should really sign him. He's a 30 year old back who is averaging 2.7 yards per carry and has some (in my opinion) pretty serious character issues. He sulked in Kansas City for the longest while because he wasn't getting enough carries, and it's hard to imagine a team making him a feature back right now. Since the Texans were pretty much ruled out earlier, I think the best-case scenario for Johnson would be New England - a playoff team where he'd get a pretty decent amount of carries. Still, he'd have to be willing to suck up his pride, shut up off the field, and take the veteran minimum. If he has his pick of all of these, I think he goes to Pittsburgh. The most likely? I'm gonna go out and say Philadelphia, but that's just me.

Comment

Adam Schefter may have ruled it out, but NFL Network strongly suggests that the Texans are serious front-runners in the Larry Johnson sweepstakes.

Comment

sign with the steelers larry

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
                Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

"(Ole Miss QB) Bo Wallace is one of those types of quarterbacks who is always trying to save the city but he's actually burning it down." -- NFC director of scouting

Comment

He is a waste. I dont care I dont think he will be anything from here on out. Its easy to say he will be something just to be that person who said it. But i wont be that guy to just be that guy
                  my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
                  <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
                  <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
                  <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
                  Originally posted by Hermstheman83
                  What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

Im surprised this is getting so much attention... I would have figured there would be almost no interest in the guy. He's up their in age, he hasn't been that productive lately, and he's an obvious team cancer. Whats the point?

Comment

Mister Reg, thank you. plus rep
                      my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
                      <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
                      <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
                      <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
                      Originally posted by Hermstheman83
                      What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

Texans no longer pursuing free agent RB Larry Johnson.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/6714203.html

Props to clover_jeez!

Comment

LJ was very well spoken this morning with Dan Patrick, gave a very good mea culpa while still talking about the future very optimistically. DP gave him a very uncharacteristically hostile sendoff though, even going so far as to say he wasn't sure about having him on the show, and that he was making his agent (who supposedly represents good character types) look bad.

Comment

RT @Adam_Schefter: Larry Johnson's agent Peter Schaffer said he's "talking with many teams and two you would never guess." I tried to guess, he wouldn't bite.

Follow Me on Twitter!
                            https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Regular View Post
                              Im surprised this is getting so much attention... I would have figured there would be almost no interest in the guy. He's up their in age, he hasn't been that productive lately, and he's an obvious team cancer. Whats the point?
                              I think the main reason is he is the biggest FA out there even with his drop in a play he is still a "name" player so it generates buzz.

Comment

Weren't the Saints and the Titans looking at guys like Edge and Shaun Alexander this off season? Maybe they'll kick the tires on him this week

sig by BoneKrusher

PACKERS BADGERS BREWERS BUCKS

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information