Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How good is Chris Johnson

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by drowe View Post
    I don't understand why it's such a slam dunk that Adrian Peterson is #1. I think he's slightly over rated this year. He's been shut down in games..and for the feature back on a 7-1 team, he just hasn't been taking over games like somebody in his situation should.

    CJ takes over games. He just keeps getting better as the year goes on. Despite the fact that he's the only weapon that needs to be accounted for, he is still lighting up the scoreboard week after week.
    I can see why it may look like he's been struggling, but we've had to deal with a new starter at center and right tackle. And lolz to anyone taking another runningback over Peterson. Chris Johnson is a G though


    http://minnesotasportstwentyfourseven.blogspot.com/

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by FlyingElvis View Post
      I agree with the premise but Jackson shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence as Jacobs. He has the break away speed and is shifty enough to make people miss. Not like CJ, but Jackson is a rare talent sadly wasting away on a terrible team. Jax can do it all.
      i kind of feel the same way about Marshawn Lynch. He's like Stephan Jackson part 2.

      but you know what though? the great great players at RB make it happen even on terrible teams. Look at Ricky Williams, Barry Sanders, Walter Payton, Tomlinson, etc.

      The greats make it happen on their own. Any RB can get 5 ypc with a good oline. The special ones can do it on their own. Thats why very few RBs are worth spending a 1st round pick on imo. Only rarely do you ever see a talent worth it in the 1st.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
        Chris Johnson is a perfect example of the new trend emerging in the NFL.

        I'm probably gonna make a write up next week and it will be in it. But in short, with teams using more spread formations and using the pass to set up the run, RBs like Chris Johnson are the emerging premiere guys at that position.

        The days of the Brandon Jacobs, Stephen Jacksons of the world are slowing coming to a close, as theyre better off being complimentary players than the feature back in today's style of offense.

        THIS

        very true, it runs in cycles it seems. Teams are spreading out again (like in the run n gun, air coryell days) because of the rule changes that make passing easier. This spread out means there are natural creases that a fast runningback can take advantage of. the combination of these two facts means defenses will look to get faster which generally means smaller (although in general players are getting bigger and faster there arent many of those freak guys and after those special guys more emphasis is being put on speed and coverage skills/pass rush than just being big if they cant have both in one player.) This will eventually lead to a team going to a power running offense where they just bulldoze there way with a big back and the copycat trend will reverse and cycle back. looking at the history of the league, offensive and defensive trends seem to run in cycles.
        Originally posted by Thumper/JBCX/Bixby
        Orton will never be in the same class as the Drew Brees or the Peyton Mannings or the Tom Bradys of the world. Kevin Kolb has the potential to be that kind of player.

        Comment


        • #34
          Me thinks backs like Jahvid Best and C.J. Spiller are going to go kinda high come this April.


          http://minnesotasportstwentyfourseven.blogspot.com/

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
            Peterson never gained that extra weight, his dad came out and told him it wasn't a good idea and he listened. I don't think he looks worse, we just always compare him to a guy who can get 300 yards a game.



            http://thevikingage.com/2009/06/03/a...aining-weight/


            my bad, i read that article but forgot the ending part, which sort of made the rest irrelevant. he still looks a little off to me but i cant quite put my finger on it.
            Originally posted by Thumper/JBCX/Bixby
            Orton will never be in the same class as the Drew Brees or the Peyton Mannings or the Tom Bradys of the world. Kevin Kolb has the potential to be that kind of player.

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by hockey619 View Post
              THIS

              very true, it runs in cycles it seems. Teams are spreading out again (like in the run n gun, air coryell days) because of the rule changes that make passing easier. This spread out means there are natural creases that a fast runningback can take advantage of. the combination of these two facts means defenses will look to get faster which generally means smaller (although in general players are getting bigger and faster there arent many of those freak guys and after those special guys more emphasis is being put on speed and coverage skills/pass rush than just being big if they cant have both in one player.) This will eventually lead to a team going to a power running offense where they just bulldoze there way with a big back and the copycat trend will reverse and cycle back. looking at the history of the league, offensive and defensive trends seem to run in cycles.
              this summed it all up perfectly.

              great post.

              Comment


              • #37
                IMO he is in fact the best running back in the NFL. Considering the stats and what we usually think, he would be equal or just under AP. However, he's leading the league's in rushing on a 2-6 team that usually would have to come from behind and pass more. He's played with an impotent Kerry Collins and now a solid Vince Young. His speed and ability as a weapon everywhere on a field puts him over the top.

                My ranking:

                1. CJ
                2. AD
                3. MJD
                4. Steven Jackson
                5. Frank Gore

                MJD, SJ, and Frank are all pretty close, but I consider MJD's overall skills to give him a slight edge (and perhaps a little homerism, lol).

                by BoneKrusher
                <DG> how metal unseen
                <TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that

                Comment


                • #38
                  Johnson's a great back but I think his window is going to be a bit smaller as far as effectiveness. So much of his game is about burst and quick cuts, when he inevitably starts slow down, he's going to have a hard time being effective.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFpnxVrT8Js

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by steelernation77 View Post
                    Johnson's a great back but I think his window is going to be a bit smaller as far as effectiveness. So much of his game is about burst and quick cuts, when he inevitably starts slow down, he's going to have a hard time being effective.
                    Didn't people say that about Clinton Portis too? He's also still doesn't have to worry about that until he's at least approaching 30, but you could say powerbacks have some of their own concerns also for longevity.





                    Originally posted by Scott Wright
                    I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Backs in general have concerns. If anything, powerbacks take more abuse and have shorter careers.

                      Thats why im personally a big believer in the RBC. Just constantly rotate some cheap midround guys and have a committee. Its cheaper, it keeps your run game fresher into the postseason, and its easier to replenish.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                        i kind of feel the same way about Marshawn Lynch. He's like Stephan Jackson part 2.

                        but you know what though? the great great players at RB make it happen even on terrible teams. Look at Ricky Williams, Barry Sanders, Walter Payton, Tomlinson, etc.

                        The greats make it happen on their own. Any RB can get 5 ypc with a good oline. The special ones can do it on their own. Thats why very few RBs are worth spending a 1st round pick on imo. Only rarely do you ever see a talent worth it in the 1st.
                        I agree with this, too. But I would argue that Jackson is making it happen on his own. That Rams team is just terrible at virtually every position. Despite teams playing SJax and only SJax, he's still producing. 98 ypg, 4.8 ypc, and 180+ recieving.

                        Damn I wish the Rams had just traded him to NE at the deadline.

                        Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          I don't know if I would take Adrian Peterson over Chris Johnson. Really, he has the reputation, but has Peterson really done more on the field? Johnson had a better rookie year, sophomore year and he does far more in the passing game.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            I love watching him play, I remember a lot of people hated the pick when the titans took him instead of a WR.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Chris Johnson is to the NFL what Reggie Bush was to CFB.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                I still think Peterson is better. CJ is #2 though.

                                The thing is, Peterson is just not getting that many carries this year. Its not like years past, when he was the entire offense. The Vikings are a passing team now, believe it or not.

                                AP is more of an afterthought to their passing attack.

                                If they ran him like hell and made Favre the compliment, he'd put up monster numbers. They did for the first couple of games, and AP looked like he might hit 2000 yards for the season. But then they started making AP the compliment to Favre.

                                And his numbers have went down since.

                                And AP can catch, they just dont ask him to do so much. He's not the blocker that CJ is though.

                                CJ can run between the tackles, but he's still a scatback. AP is an everything back.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information