How good is Chris Johnson

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shiver View Post
    Chris Johnson is to the NFL what Reggie Bush was to CFB.
    I don't know about all that. Bush was literally unstoppable in college

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
      I still think Peterson is better. CJ is #2 though.

The thing is, Peterson is just not getting that many carries this year. Its not like years past, when he was the entire offense. The Vikings are a passing team now, believe it or not.

AP is more of an afterthought to their passing attack.

If they ran him like hell and made Favre the compliment, he'd put up monster numbers. They did for the first couple of games, and AP looked like he might hit 2000 yards for the season. But then they started making AP the compliment to Favre.

And his numbers have went down since.

And AP can catch, they just dont ask him to do so much. He's not the blocker that CJ is though.

CJ can run between the tackles, but he's still a scatback. AP is an everything back.
      I wouldn't say he is a scatback at all. He is getting the majority of his teams carries, including the goal-line work. Adrian Peterson looked like he might hit 2000, but Chris Johnson has a really good chance to get there himself this year. CJ gets to play the worst run-D in the league this week.

Comment

Originally posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
        Maybe because he had cutback lanes you could drive a truck through every game and played on one of the more talented offenses in recent years.

Anyways, I think Johnson most valuable asset is that he can simply run away from people. Once he gets in the open field, its game over. He doesnt break tackles like Peterson does, but hes a much better inside runner then I ever would of given him credit for coming out of college.

I think at the top, it goes Peterson, Johnson, MJD. Drew is a workhorse, and he has killer speed as well.
        Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
        The APS is strong in this one.
        Originally posted by killxswitch
        Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

I wasn't necessarily a believer of Chris Johnson as a feature back coming into the season, foreseeing a 1-2 punch of Johnson and a slimmer, more fit LenDale White. I was wrong, and I admit that. He's the second best back in the league and he's one of the best friend's a quarterback could have. Some lists above me have me wanting to do my own here.

1. Adrian Peterson - Vikings
          2. Chris Johnson - Titans
          3. Steven Jackson - Rams
          4. Maurice Jones-Drew - Jaguars
          5. Frank Gore - 49ers
          6. Cedric Benson - Bengals
          7. DeAngelo Williams - Carolina
          8. Michael Turner - Falcons
          9. Ray Rice - Ravens
          10. Ronnie Brown - Dolphins

Honorable Mention: Thomas Jones, Rashard Mendenhall, Brandon Jacobs

Not Listed: Brian Westbrook

big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
          - For daily NFL draft coverage:
          www.twitter.com/ryanlownes

Comment

Originally posted by Shiver View Post
            I wouldn't say he is a scatback at all. He is getting the majority of his teams carries, including the goal-line work. Adrian Peterson looked like he might hit 2000, but Chris Johnson has a really good chance to get there himself this year. CJ gets to play the worst run-D in the league this week.
            To me, if you can't take 20 runs up the gut every game, youre more of a scatback.

I can't see CJ holding up for an entire season if he had to do that. AP could. He's more of a complete runner. But CJ is more of a complete player. If that makes any sense.

Comment

Originally posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
              CJ isnt? The guy is good for 2 or 3 big plays a game. I love the hype CJ is getting in this thread though. I dont think CJ is what Bush was supposed to be either. I thought Bush was going to be the next Barry Sanders coming out and after his rookie year.I also thought CJ was the second coming of Tony Dorsett. after his rookie year But, as far as his talent goes, his balance, speed, agility, vision, carrying(1 fumble last year, 1 this year) and blocking are all out of this world. He might be the most talented player we have had since Jevon Kearse and Pacman( Just hope he doesnt develop the injury bug or beat up strippers).
              Last edited by DoughBoy; 11-10-2009, 12:39 PM.

Originally posted by Jurrell Casey
              I love light skin and white women but my main chick is brown skin

Comment

I understand that completely, but I think Chris Johnson has a better chance of holding up than Adrian Peterson does. Eventually Peterson's violent running style will catch up to him; in fact, I'm amazed it hasn't happened yet. Chris Johnson might have a 2,400 yard season and only have about 300 touches. That is out of this world.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                  Backs in general have concerns. If anything, powerbacks take more abuse and have shorter careers.

Thats why im personally a big believer in the RBC. Just constantly rotate some cheap midround guys and have a committee. Its cheaper, it keeps your run game fresher into the postseason, and its easier to replenish.
                  This is how I feel. I was thinking about downgrading CJ a bit because I don't think he should carry the load for a team. But it's not that he can't, he just shouldn't, and it's NFL Coaching 101 that there should be someone else to take snaps away from him to keep him fresher over the year and over his career.

Thanks to BK for the sig

Comment

Come on guys, don't you know that Ladainian is the best back?!?!

Comment

As of right now Chris Johnson is top5 nfl back.

no specific order but, Peterson, Turner, D.Williams and C.Johnson come to mind

Comment

Wonderful talent there. I wouldn't worry so much about him not holding up, they do a tremendous job of getting him to the second level, and sealing off the edges so that he isn't getting piled on by linemen, and guys don't really get a clean shot on him, he'll be fine as long as they continue the spectacular blocking for him. Great synergy going. He's one of the 3 fastest players in the league at worst, he has a great size/speed ratio, his line is hitting on all cylinders for him, and the coaches are feeding him the rock.

They could get him more involved in the passing game though, he's a better receiver than his stat line indicates.

I can't help but think everyone going RBBC actually has a few negatives. I think when one back gets the bulk of the carries, he gets more loose, more into the flow of the game, and establishes a rhythm that leads to more big plays than guys who split carries.

The RBBC guys might have fresher legs, but when you know you aren't getting the carries, you are more prone to try and push too hard on your holes, or not really get a feel for what the defense is doing.

My own team as an example, I do love what we are doing with the 3 back system, where no guy is being overly exerted and pounded on, because with our line, the first half is full on grind it out mode where we are smashing into the LOS, and then in the 4th quarter after we've worn them down, we start hitting our big runs.

If we ran one back 25 times a game, he'd be demolished. I'd love to see more big runs, and I think those come more often with a feature guy that gets in rhythm, but Thomas, Bush and Bell all haven't shown that they can stay healthy enough to shoulder that load.

Thomas and Bell run so violently that they are always going to be a little nicked up, because neither are huge backs.

Bush has played most of his career with some sort of injury it seems, he had the heel injury as a rookie that nagged him for a while in the beginning of the season, and he's had his other two seasons nicked up and eventually ended with injury.

On that note, I want to hear from someone more medically educated than I am, but from what I know from basketball, Microfracture is always a serious surgery for a guy that relies on his athletic ability like Reggie does, but the usual deal is, it's 1 year of rehab and recovery, and then they can start playing, but you don't expect the knee to be back to 100% until around 2 years after the surgery.

I've never seen a player play until at LEAST the 1 year mark. Reggie had his surgery in mid-december of 2008, and he was back in june of 2009, that's not even 7 months. Is this a good sign that he recovered faster than expected, or did he come back too soon?

Granted he still is explosive, but he doesn't look quite as quick as he did last season before he got injured, when he was leading the league in touchdowns....

I guess we'll see what happens, but the Saints still seem to be being very cautious about it, because he gets taken from the game completely once we are ahead, and even when he starts out running well, they still don't feed him the ball when he looks to be flowing.

All in all though, I think RBBC and having a workhorse both have pros and cons that I notice more and more as I watch teams around the league.
                        Last edited by Saints-Tigers; 11-10-2009, 01:06 PM.
                        Originally posted by SNIPER26
                        fwiw, i amz deunks ofs myt ass. ilo vez drinmoinz befotre i post. wha t a hreat ideas.z.

Comment

Originally posted by njx9
                          i think he got lost trying to find the end zone in week 6.
                          Honestly those two red zone visits were when I finally started thinking the era of LT may be winding down (and I know, against the masses, I am very late to that conclusion). The Ladainian I know simply doesn't get stopped there...as terrible as the O-line is, that was too close.

Comment

Originally posted by FloridaSkinzFan View Post
                            As of right now Chris Johnson is top5 nfl back.

no specific order but, Peterson, Turner, D.Williams and C.Johnson come to mind

In my personal order:

1. Chris Johnson
                            2. Adrian Peterson
                            3. Maurice Jones-Drew
                            4. Ray Rice
                            5. DeAngelo Williams
                            6. Michael Turner
                            7. Steven Jackson
                            8. Ronnie Brown
                            9. Cedric Benson (I still have a hard time typing that)
                            10. Frank Gore

Comment

You know who is playing really well and receiving very little credit for it right now, Ricky Williams.

Comment

Originally posted by CC.SD View Post
                                You know who is playing really well and receiving very little credit for it right now, Ricky Williams.
                                Maybe his time off doing yoga and getting stoned gave him fresher legs

Thanks to BK for the sig

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information