No announcement yet.

Brady Quinn starting...again

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to develop and nurture quarterbacks, by Eric Mangini.

We need to bring back the 'books that would never be written' thread.

Comment

It's been done, CC.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
        i think so too.

I see no other logical reason for Andersen to start that long.
        The Browns really were just as bad under Quinn. Fans criticized the conservative play-calling but didn't realize it was because of Brady Quinn's comfortability (or lack of) in the pocket. In two and a half games, Quinn took ten sacks. In the twenty two quarters since, Anderson (the more methodical, less mobile of the two) has taken nine sacks. In college, Quinn would pass too much attention to pressure and got happy feet in the pocket, remarkably it's been the exact same here in the NFL.

I've had the distinct.....experience....of watching every Browns game (except Buffalo and Minnesota). Neither of these Quarterbacks can play for this team and succeed, I think that much is fact. When Mangini benched Quinn in favor of Derek Anderson in the second half of the Baltimore game in Week 3, he wasn't thinking contract incentives, he was thinking about how he could open up this offense and provide some life.

The next week, Cincinnati came to town, and Derek Anderson looked more comfortable and stable than any Browns QB has all year to this day. It looked as if this was just a better team with Anderson, a more experienced, confident, and stronger armed passer. He made his mistakes, but kept the Browns close to the Bengals en route to an overtime loss. Still, more positives came out of that came than any, as the offense had its' best showing and a connection appeared to have been born between Anderson and Mohamed Massaquoi. This had the team confident enough to get rid of talented headache receiver Braylon Edwards. The next week, Anderson and the passing game had their worst showing of the year in Buffalo, but the team won. In past weeks against Pittsburgh, Green Bay, and Chicago nothing has worked and Mangini has kept Quinn on the sidelines as a sign of patience and stability. Now it's clear to him that Anderson can't be giving the Browns their best chance to win and you might as well see what you have in the young arm of Brady Quinn.

This isn't the owner/coach looking for ways to avoid paying their players, it is the team looking at two equally bad options and going back and forth, waffling on which is better for the team. Barring injury, however, I'd expect that Quinn starts the rest of the year... even if that means an 0-8 finish. It's a hard subject to place time and interest into as a football fan, as it really couldn't matter less which quarterback plays in reality. Still, I think the fans are being overly critical of the organization, rather than starting at the core, the team itself.

big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
        - For daily NFL draft coverage:
        www.twitter.com/ryanlownes

Comment

Quinn needs to be traded to a team with some promise. The Vikings say hi. You can't throw a rookie QB on a team that doesn't have anything to throw to, or anything to protect him. If a QB doesn't have a line to protect them, or a WR to throw to, then yeah, they will be labeled a bust in no time at all. Building a team starts with the offensive line. Draft a quality Left Tackle. Then go to the Running Back, then Wide Receiver. After those things are done, draft a QB. You can't build around ONLY a QB.
          Last edited by vikes_28; 11-10-2009, 03:02 PM.

sig by fenikz
          Originally posted by ImBrotherCain
          You are just a terrible person.
          Originally posted by bigbluedefense
          I have an iPhone.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePudge View Post
            Great. Get ready to hear the commentators criticism of Eric Mangini after Quinn struggles against Baltimore's defense. They still bring the blitz, they'll still get to Quinn enough to make plays. The Browns offense under Brady Quinn features a lot of dink-and-dunk to the short flats and the short middle, so get ready to see an active game by the Ravens linebackers. This is also a must-win game for a Baltimore team that needs to kick it into high gear to make a playoff run.

Get ready for this quarterback debate to continue. Personally, I play Anderson, don't diminish Quinn's trade value (3rd-4th to a QB needy team) and draft a quarterback with my Top 3 pick. I just don't think Quinn has a chance to develop and flourish under Mangini.
            yeah, Baltimore's defense dominates dink-and-dunk offensive teams. (i.e Denver Bronco game) so that defense should have a great game regardless of whether its Quinn or Anderson. Only way Cleveland has a chance to beat Baltimore is to go vertical on there defense, and thus far, Quinn hasn't show the confidence to do so. Baltimore should take this game easily.

Comment

Originally posted by vikes_29 View Post
              Quinn needs to be traded to a team with some promise. The Vikings say hi. You can't throw a rookie QB on a team that doesn't have anything to throw to, or anything to protect him. If a QB doesn't have a line to protect them, or a WR to throw to, then yeah, they will be labeled a bust in no time at all. Building a team starts with the offensive line. Draft a quality Left Tackle. Then go to the Running Back, then Wide Receiver. After those things are done, draft a QB. You can't build around ONLY a QB.
              Who are we talking about? Quinn isnt a rookie QB and their LT is a pro bowler.

Comment

Originally posted by Babylon View Post
                And their LG, Eric Steinbach, is a heck of a player. Supposedly, TE Robert Royal is a terrific blocker, though he hasn't stood out for any reason besides his drops. Quinn's feet are far too active, in the Ryan Fitzpatrick mold. His lack of courage in the pocket and lack of patience has crippled this team's efforts to open up the offense. I believe with the Browns QB dilemma it's more the players (Quinn and Anderson), not as much the organization and situation.

The play-calling has been predictable in Cleveland, but that's been mainly because they can't rely on their quarterback situation. 1st Down, Jamal Lewis 2 yard run. 2nd Down, Jamal Lewis, 3 yard run. 3rd Down, Incomplete. Throw a Josh Cribbs wildcat look in and an interception here and there and you pretty much have the Browns figured out.

People think the only way to go is up, but I'm not sure. With Braylon Edwards out the door, Robert Royal's struggles on the field and with injuries, the development curve of rookies Brian Robiskie and Mohamed Massaquoi, this passing game may it's darkest days. Dates loom against Baltimore, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, and San Diego.

Comment

I hope he does well but I could see our dip **** receivers dropping about half the passes and our right side of the line pretending that the DL are bulls.

Comment

Yeah, that's one of 4 more pieces they need to succeed. Quinn doesn't have any weapons. Jamaal Lewis is not a weapon anymore.

sig by fenikz
                    Originally posted by ImBrotherCain
                    You are just a terrible person.
                    Originally posted by bigbluedefense
                    I have an iPhone.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePudge View Post
                      And their LG, Eric Steinbach, is a heck of a player. Supposedly, TE Robert Royal is a terrific blocker, though he hasn't stood out for any reason besides his drops. Quinn's feet are far too active, in the Ryan Fitzpatrick mold. His lack of courage in the pocket and lack of patience has crippled this team's efforts to open up the offense. I believe with the Browns QB dilemma it's more the players (Quinn and Anderson), not as much the organization and situation.

The play-calling has been predictable in Cleveland, but that's been mainly because they can't rely on their quarterback situation. 1st Down, Jamal Lewis 2 yard run. 2nd Down, Jamal Lewis, 3 yard run. 3rd Down, Incomplete. Throw a Josh Cribbs wildcat look in and an interception here and there and you pretty much have the Browns figured out.

People think the only way to go is up, but I'm not sure. With Braylon Edwards out the door, Robert Royal's struggles on the field and with injuries, the development curve of rookies Brian Robiskie and Mohamed Massaquoi, this passing game may it's darkest days. Dates loom against Baltimore, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, and San Diego.
                      I like Alex Mack too. their young receivers are pretty good but they probably need a stud wideout. Thing with Quinn is they probably need to see what they have going into the next draft. If someone like a Holmgren takes over he might want to bring his own QB in. (not necessarily a rookie QB either).

Comment

Wasn't Derek Anderson good a few years ago?
                        | Hawkeyes || Rams || Lakers || Braves || Avalanche |

Comment

I like Alex Mack too. their young receivers are pretty good but they probably need a stud wideout. Thing with Quinn is they probably need to see what they have going into the next draft. If someone like a Holmgren takes over he might want to bring his own QB in. (not necessarily a rookie QB either).
                          I like Alex Mack, but he's not performing at an AFC North level yet. Mack was perceived by many to be a near perfect Center prospect coming out of Cal, but there were a few question marks coming out of college that have been on display in the NFL. Mack's not a grinder in the run game, he's not a natural drive blocker, and he ends up on the ground too often.

Mack's development can be defined as normal or about what you could reasonably expect from a rookie in the AFC North. Casey Hampton, Domata Peko, and Kelly Gregg are capable of giving this guy fits for a couple years. Hampton and Gregg, specifically, are good matchups against Mack as they line up right on top of him and are players that rely on terrific leverage and strength. Try to keep an eye on him this Monday against Gregg.

Right now I'd list Mack as a liability on that line, but it's obviously not a hole for the future as he should develop into an upper-tier interior lineman. Bengals' first year starter Kyle Cook has outperformed Mack by a good margin in the same division and it's not all too hard to see why. There are certain traits a Center must have in the AFC North with three 3-4 defenses and the Bengals #2 rush defense. Toughness, tenacity, strength, and balance are perhaps the four most important factors for an AFC North Center and Mack has yet to handle the more physical part of the game. He has the intangibles and physical tools necessary to become that kind of Center, but must adjust to a different type of football than the Pac-10 threw at him.

Like most of the Browns team, we have to sit back and say just give it time.

Comment

I'm tired of the people on here pretending that Quinn is some stud who's being held back by a bad team. That's not the case. Quinn sucks.

<@JBond> And Dg, you'd waste it on corndogs
                            <@JBond> So you get no 5 dollars
                            <+DG> how is buy one get one free wasting?
                            <+njx9> i'm pretty sure your people still eat boots in north korea, bantx. they don't know what vegetables are.

Comment

Originally posted by DeepThreat View Post
                              I'm tired of the people on here pretending that Quinn is some stud who's being held back by a bad team. That's not the case. Quinn sucks.
                              Havent seen that talk in this thread, possibly just the opposite. I think you need to play him, see what he can or cant do and go forward next spring with a plan. Quinn is a big strong guy with smarts and a pretty decent arm. He really doesnt have much to throw to in terms of talent and experience so i guess that will seem to be his fault, such is the nature of the position.

Comment

Quinn sucks, he is mr. check down, and looks only for wide open WR, he can't anticipate WR getting open.

You could say his WR suck if they always dropped passes, or could never ever get open.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information