MidSeason Thoughts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
    BBD, i dont think sliding the protection would help since the biggest problem isnt unaccounted blitzers or rushers, but it is people getting beat cleanly off the snap, being pushed back into the backfield or just whiffing blocks. u can adjust all you want but its not gonna help if your player cant do what he is supposed to
    Which is why I'm not getting on him too much. He's still an above avg qb to me. But he can help the issue a little by identifying coverages and getting the ball out quicker, leaving guys in to block etc.

He doesn't do that, so it compounds the issue. His natural ability in the pocket makes it less of an issue, but its still an issue that he ignores.

Same with the run game, theres adjustments that can be made. Sliding guys, rerouting the run away from the 8th man, even checking into a run on 2nd down in some situations when you see the DTs playing pass rush, or catch the defense in an unfavorable front.

It might not be a huge difference, but when your oline is this bad, something is better than nothing.

The crappy part of this for Chicago is that they can't fix many of their issues immediately, bc they gave up so many draft picks. Then wasted another one on Gaines Adams, which is a fail for another time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shiver View Post
      What I think is interesting, though, is the Bears' receivers have been better than I thought they would be. Hester's transition is impressive, Olsen has been red hot lately, Knox is promising and Bennett is solid. The O-Line's problems have negated that positive.
      Thank Jay Cutler.

The guy has the natural ability to elevate others' play...but that O-line and running game is killing him...that and Olsen is the closest to a prototypical game breaker amongst the offensive weapons.

Of all the young QB's in this league, I don't think anyone is asked to do more with less than Cutler. Few, if any, QBs would be playing well on the Bears.
      Last edited by SenorGato; 11-14-2009, 10:37 AM.

Comment

• In response to the post of Cutler not doing all the little things Pre-snap, and audibling at the line.. I would say that might not be ALL on him, you have to look at the all around Offensive system. That's the hard part about us as fans that don't have access to those team meeting rooms we truly don't know what kind of options each QB is given before the snap.

The blame might lie at the all around Offensive systems, we don't know for sure what kind of flexibility Cutler is allowed at the Line of scrimmage... obviously there has to be some kind of fall back audibles.... I know QBs like Peyton, Brady, Brees are given great freedom from their coaching staffs to audible and change plays at the line of scrimmage but that's because they've earned the right to almost completely dictate the Offense based on what they see at the line.

We truly don't know if Cutler is allowed to make certain audibles, he might not be able to motion a receiver before the snap to take advantage of a possible hole in a zone... simply because that system in Chicago might not have the same pre-snap motions designed in their plays, like he had available to him in Denver. Ron Turner strikes me as a very stiff kind of guy that doesn't tinker with his system... so he might be against Cutler changing things up... we truly don't know the whole story.... but I do agree Cutler has to get better with Pre-Snap recognition.

Comment

• Originally posted by Auron View Post
          In response to the post of Cutler not doing all the little things Pre-snap, and audibling at the line.. I would say that might not be ALL on him, you have to look at the all around Offensive system. That's the hard part about us as fans that don't have access to those team meeting rooms we truly don't know what kind of options each QB is given before the snap.

The blame might lie at the all around Offensive systems, we don't know for sure what kind of flexibility Cutler is allowed at the Line of scrimmage... obviously there has to be some kind of fall back audibles.... I know QBs like Peyton, Brady, Brees are given great freedom from their coaching staffs to audible and change plays at the line of scrimmage but that's because they've earned the right to almost completely dictate the Offense based on what they see at the line.

We truly don't know if Cutler is allowed to make certain audibles, he might not be able to motion a receiver before the snap to take advantage of a possible hole in a zone... simply because that system in Chicago might not have the same pre-snap motions designed in their plays, like he had available to him in Denver. Ron Turner strikes me as a very stiff kind of guy that doesn't tinker with his system... so he might be against Cutler changing things up... we truly don't know the whole story.... but I do agree Cutler has to get better with Pre-Snap recognition.
          Good post.
          Cutler's pre-snap recognition is an issue. The Bears rarely, if ever, use audibles. What worked in the 90s doesn't work now. Teams are just too smart and well prepared for that. Combine all of that with an offensive line that is losing most of the individual matchups and getting beat by 4 down linemen and a non-existent running game, you get this mess.

Comment

• I believe that is the biggest reason why an offense and a QB fail is when an OC doesn't humble himself and give the QB the option of changing the plays. Not every QB is capable of doing it however, but I'm not sure that is a problem that Jay Cutler has.

Comment

• you clearly dont know Ron Turner

Comment

• Originally posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
                you clearly dont know Ron Turner
                Firing Ron Turner was the single biggest move I made in the last forum mock for the bears.

BK

Originally posted by AcheTen
                JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
                Originally posted by abaddon41_80
                Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
                Originally posted by JBCX
                Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.

Comment

• Firing Ron Turner is almost as good as firing Matt Millen

Comment

Working...
                  X

Debug Information