4th and 2: Belichick's Call

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4th and 2: Belichick's Call

Belichick's call on 4th and 2 at his own 28 last night has gotten a lot of pub and has brought him under scrutiny. What is all of your thoughts on the call, what would you have done? This isnt here to talk about the spot of the ball, the call is what it is, im curious on everyones thoughts on the call to go for it.

Personally, I thought it was the right call to go for it, and if not for Faulk's bobbling of the ball it wouldve worked. It comes down to who do you trust more, your O to get just two yards with the game on the line or your D to stop Peyton who wouldve had two minutes to work with? I think going with his offense here was the right call, Peyton had really come on toward the end of the game, and giving him the ball late like that was taking a greater chance than trying to keep it away from the Colts O.

Thoughts?
    Originally posted by Thumper/JBCX/Bixby
    Orton will never be in the same class as the Drew Brees or the Peyton Mannings or the Tom Bradys of the world. Kevin Kolb has the potential to be that kind of player.

How was it not the right call? He had a choice to either put the game in Brady's hands or in Manning's, and of course he chose Brady. If Tom Brady can't gain two yards on a consistent basis then he shouldn't even come close to being mentioned with the best QB's in the league.

Hitman D

"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." - Henry David Thoreau

Comment

It was a good call to go for it,but why not run on 3rd and 2 and at least make the Colts waste another timeout.

mucho props to wiscbadgerfootball

Originally posted by scottyboy
      like honestly lebron, instead of south beach, why don't you take your talents and just shove them up your ass.

Comment

Is this what we do now? We play arm chair coach the day after? I liked the idea of going for it but not the play call. It was risky, it was do or die. It made the game all that much better. Without the bobble, it was a first and Belichick is a genius. With the bobble, it backfires. Belichick gets questioned.

It was great entertainment. Great TV. Added to a growing rivalry. Put another chapter in the book of Brady vs. Manning.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilNixon View Post
          It was a good call to go for it,but why not run on 3rd and 2 and at least make the Colts waste another timeout.
          If I remember correctly, wasn't the two minute warning quickly approaching? They wouldn't have had to use a timeout if that were the case.

Comment

Originally posted by tjsunstein View Post
            If I remember correctly, wasn't the two minute warning quickly approaching? They wouldn't have had to use a timeout if that were the case.
            They were already expending timeouts before the 3rd down.

mucho props to wiscbadgerfootball

Originally posted by scottyboy
            like honestly lebron, instead of south beach, why don't you take your talents and just shove them up your ass.

Comment

He had more trust in his offense to pick up 2 yards than he did in his defense to stop Peyton Manning. I liked the call.

Comment

is it me or am i the only one who actually thought he got it pretty easily.
                I know BB was out of challenges but the forward progress was a 1st down imo.

either way it was the right call for the situation imo

Saints 2014 draft wish list:
                - No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
                - Corner or Wideout in the first
                - No reaching
                - No Kelvin Benjamin

Comment

i liked the call. as the game was going, it really looked like whoever had the ball last would win. on 4th and 2, BB saw it like that too. and punting would've assured that Peyton Manning and the Colts would get the ball last.

yeah, it looked like he didn't trust his defense, but really, all he was saying is, he trusted his offense more than his defense..and given the score, and who they were playing, that was the right judgement.

Comment

Mike Sando of ESPN put it well:

The Patriots had gained 468 yards to that point in the game. They had converted seven times in 14 third-down opportunities, most with more than 2 yards to go. They had converted third-down plays needing 3, 2, 5 and 1 yard against the Colts in the second half alone.

Given the way the Patriots were functioning, Belichick reasonably could have expected Brady to convert a fourth-and-2 against that defense a high percentage of the time, perhaps three out of four. And if the Patriots managed to convert, they almost certainly would have won the game.
                    I would have punted, but I see why he went for it, and certainly wouldn't oppose to the call if I were a Pats fan.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Brent View Post
                      I would have punted, but I see why he went for it, and certainly wouldn't oppose to the call if I were a Pats fan.
                      I would have punted as well. I would have rather made Manning try to march what could have been 80+ yards down field in under two minutes than risk going for it on fourth and two. I understand why he went for it but felt he took much unneeded risk in doing so.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
                      WHO DAT!

Comment

Way to have faith in your defense Bill. Manning's previous 7 possessions: 3 punts, 2 INTS, 2 TDS. Peyton was not on that much of a roll.
                        Originally posted by njx9
                        i mean, why wouldn't the broncos take cam newton? they can play him at quarterback WITH tebow!

Comment

Belichick's call? More like Brady's... He's the one who called TO and told Bill to go for it.

Forward progress was not enough to gain the first down. The ball was bobbled. The ball was not placed at the exact location that the receiver landed. It was placed in front of where he landed.

Patriots had balls to go for it, but simply got a little too cocky for their own good. Brady is a cocky mofo and I'm glad he got put in his place. I'm not surprised that the Patriots did not show any class in the loss.

Comment

Yo Bill, maybe you could trust your defense more if you wouldn't have traded back instead of taking Clay Matthews. Thanks bro. :)

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
                            they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
                            Hint:Not the Bears.

Comment

Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                              Belichick's call? More like Brady's... He's the one who called TO and told Bill to go for it.

Forward progress was not enough to gain the first down. The ball was bobbled. The ball was not placed at the exact location that the receiver landed. It was placed in front of where he landed.

Patriots had balls to go for it, but simply got a little too cocky for their own good. Brady is a cocky mofo and I'm glad he got put in his place. I'm not surprised that the Patriots did not show any class in the loss.
                              I did notice Brady vehemently pleading to Bill to go for it after the 3rd down play. I almost forgot about that. So who's call was it really? Too much faith in the QB, did Tom see something?
                              Originally posted by njx9
                              i mean, why wouldn't the broncos take cam newton? they can play him at quarterback WITH tebow!

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information