No announcement yet.

The best race left in the NFL...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Id even go out on a limb and say if Favre keeps playing the way he has been playing this might be the Most Valuable season by a player ever in the NFL. Favre at 40 is playing lights out. He is making plays on a team he joined in August. I dont care if he knew the system. He is literally playing his best football on a team in which he had no time to build chemistry with. Im hard pressed to find a situation like Favres where a player has joined a team right before the season at the age of 39/40 and made his team a Super Bowl contender.

Favres season this year has also changed my opinion on him. Hes easily one of the best QBs to ever play the game. I thought he was a top 10-15 QB all-time. Im starting to believe he should be in the top 5. Hes just a pure gunslinger that no matter what the age can make plays and win games.

Comment

Favre's age has no bearing on how valuable he is, damn. This is no where near the best season by a QB ever. You people are watching to much ESPN I think.

Favre has been great, but he hasn't played the best football at his position, and I'm pretty sure teams are gearing up to play Adrian Peterson, not Brett Favre.
      Originally posted by SNIPER26
      fwiw, i amz deunks ofs myt ass. ilo vez drinmoinz befotre i post. wha t a hreat ideas.z.

Comment

Peyton has had very little help from those around him. The rushing attack is ranked 29th in the league. Even bigger he is on pace to set the record for passing yards in a season without his number 2 wide receiver, having a second year guy and a rookie try to take the place. Collie and garcon have been inconsistent having a case of the drops lately. The colts after 9 games last year were also 5-4 manning started catching fire to finish the season 7-0.
        Sam Bradford will be a bust- 2/24/2010

Colts Cardinals Bulls Hurricanes

Comment

Originally posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
          Favre's age has no bearing on how valuable he is, damn. This is no where near the best season by a QB ever. You people are watching to much ESPN I think.

Favre has been great, but he hasn't played the best football at his position, and I'm pretty sure teams are gearing up to play Adrian Peterson, not Brett Favre.
          I never said he was having the best season ever by a QB. I said at his age he is doing great things and Favre is having one of the "most valuable" seasons for any player in NFL history.

How often do you see a 40 year old QB do the things he is doing? Hes got the Vikings as legitimate Super Bowl contenders this season. For what this QB is doing at his age and doing it in different fashion (only 3 interceptions) is just amazing to watch.

How often do you see a QB like Favre (HOF lock) have maybe his best season at age 40?

IMO hes easily the MVP this season. Teams may gear to stop Peterson but without Favre they would be at .500 right now.

Comment

I don't see how his age isn't a factor. He has turned the clock back; in fact, he is playing better than he ever has. If* he keeps it up he not only should win it, he has to win it.

* that being said, I don't expect him to keep it up.

Comment

Oh, so being older makes you more valuable now. Does turning 40 give you 8 points per touchdown now?

It's irrelevant, it makes his performance more impressive in comparison that he's doing it at that age, but it doesn't make him more valuable, and voting for him because he's doing this at 40 is the stupidest thing I've ever heard in my life.

Oh wow, the Vikings would be .500 without Favre. The Colts and Saints would be battling for the top pick without their QB, and they certainly wouldn't be .500
              fwiw, i amz deunks ofs myt ass. ilo vez drinmoinz befotre i post. wha t a hreat ideas.z.

Comment

Oh, so being older makes you more valuable now. Does turning 40 give you 8 points per touchdown now?

It's irrelevant, it makes his performance more impressive in comparison that he's doing it at that age, but it doesn't make him more valuable, and voting for him because he's doing this at 40 is the stupidest thing I've ever heard in my life.
                The MVP is more about intangibles than you realize. Brett Favre comes out of retirement, plays the best football of his life at an age most Quarterbacks are retired and they are arguably the best team in the league. The narrative is a factor, trust me.

Oh wow, the Vikings would be .500 without Favre. The Colts and Saints would be battling for the top pick without their QB, and they certainly wouldn't be .500
                The Saints have plenty of talent: three good runners, Colston and Shockey, a underrated O-Line, and their defense finally playing good football before all of their injuries. They would definitely be a good team, even without Brees.

The Colts, perhaps, but even then you are not giving proper credit to the rest of that team. Their defense has held teams in check most of the season, something which has allowed Manning to push them over the top.

Comment

Oh, I didn't say the "narrative" isn't a factor, it just shouldn't be.

Either way, if you subtract all 3 QBs from the team, the Vikings are the best, no question.

Brees and Manning don't have a loss yet, and their teams aren't as talented as the Vikings in my opinion, and there is nothing you can say to really change that, because Adrian Peterson and Jared Allen are better than anyone on the Saints or Colts, and Kevin Williams probably is too, but that's just simplifying it.

Comment

Originally posted by BleedBurgundy96 View Post
                    Favre has 17 TDs and only 3 INTs. His QB Rating of 107.5 is insane when you realize he has never had a season where his QB Rating has been 100 or higher. Hes still making plays but he isnt making the classic Favre INTs. Favre at 40 is having one of his best seasons. The story in itself is valuable.

AD is also a top player on the Vikings. The reason I say Favre is more valuable is simply where the team was last year and where they are this year. Last year after 9 games the Vikings were 5-4. They ended up 10-6 and losing at home in the wild card round to the Eagles.

This season the Vikings are 8-1. Players like Sidney Rice are making plays weekly. Why? Brett Favre is the QB. The Vikings after 9 games IMO have a division title and a first round bye wrapped up. Why? Brett Favre.

Adrian Peterson helped make the Vikings a playoff team. This year Brett Favre has made the Vikings a possible Super Bowl contender. No player on the Vikings or in the NFL has been more valuable than Brett Favre.
                    I agree with you 100% that Favre is having an absolutely exceptional season. I think a lot of the reason Sidney Rice and Percy Harvin have looked so good is because they have the guy. I just remember last year in NY he really struggled as the season wore on because he didn't have a dominant runner like Adrian Peterson that took a lot of the pressure off of his shoulders. I don't think his stats would be as great without AD.

But that's not to take away from what he's doing. He's a hall of famer doing something he's never done before and excelling at it. He has the efficiency of a game manager and the scoring ability of a top flight passer.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                    Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
                    Originally posted by njx9
                    do i tell you when to flip the burger?

Comment

I think you have to factor his age into it when you realize what he is doing at his age. Both players Favre and Manning IMO deserve the award. Id give the edge to Favre for how he has played, what he has done for the Vikings team, and the simple fact that at age 40 he is playing MVP caliber football.

Age doesnt help you on the actual field. No it doesnt get you 8 pts per touchdown. What he is doing on the field when you realize he is 40 is both valuable and really insane to think about.

Let me put it another way. How rare is it for a 40 year old QB to be playing at Favres level? Its more valuable b/c of how rare it is for a QB to be doing this at his age. Do you think the VIkings actually thought he would be playing this well when the season started? Do you actually think the Vikings thought at age 40 he would be having his best season and only have 3 INTs in 9 games?

I see what you are saying Saints-Tigers. I respect your opinion. Calling other people stupid for their opinions is quite childish though. You are focusing more on the age factor of my post than the overall post. Its not just his age but his age is a factor in why I say hes the MVP as of today.

Originally posted by slightlyabroncosfan View Post
                      I just remember last year in NY he really struggled as the season wore on because he didn't have a dominant runner like Adrian Peterson that took a lot of the pressure off of his shoulders. I don't think his stats would be as great without AD.
                      Thanks for the feedback. I loved reading your post.

This part I kinda disagree though b/c I think Favres injury was the bigger factor in why he struggled in the 2nd half of the season. Thomas Jones had a great season last year. Favre might not of had AP but he did have one of the best RBs in the NFL last season. I think if Favre was healthy he would of put up better numbers and the Jets would of won the division title.
                      Last edited by BleedBurgundy96; 11-21-2009, 02:48 PM.

Comment

I'm rooting for Favre to win it.

Comment

Favre (9-1):
                          22-25, 213 yards, 4 TD in win vs. Seattle

Manning (10-0):
                          22-31, 299 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT in win vs. Baltimore

This is getting very interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by tjsunstein View Post
                            Favre (9-1):
                            22-25, 213 yards, 4 TD in win vs. Seattle

Manning (10-0):
                            22-31, 299 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT in win vs. Baltimore

This is getting very interesting.
                            Favre 21 TDs 3 INTs

Hes easily the MVP imo right now.

Comment

Originally posted by BleedBurgundy96 View Post
                              Favre 21 TDs 3 INTs

Hes easily the MVP imo right now.
                              I disagree. Jackson came in and went 6/8 for 77 yards and a touchdown and the Vikings ran for 160 yards. Favre is not carrying the Vikings like Manning is the Colts. Take Favre away from the Vikes and they are still like 7-3 at this point but without Manning the Colts would be 5-5 at best.

Comment

Reggie BUSH MVP

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information