Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NFL releases what to expect from an 18 game schedule.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFL releases what to expect from an 18 game schedule.

Charley Casserly just broke on the NFL Today what's on the table for the proposed 18-game schedule:

2 preseason games then a week off. Season would still start Sunday after Labor Day.
    2 bye weeks
    possibly 8 or 9 international games.
    and possibly expanding the playoffs.
    expanding rosters and practice squad.

So this would take the NFL all the way through to the end of the season, probably sometime in late February.

Well, we won't see it unless a new CBA is signed.
    2 bye weeks would be great but the season might go into January making football difficult to play in the north. Without 2 bye weeks, I cannot see the players surviving for the playoffs. Original starting lineups could be down to 50% by the time the Super Bowl rolls around. The Super Bowl could end up looking more like an exhibition game with so many walking wounded.
    We all know the NFL is trying to expand its international market for increased TV revenue worldwide but it will take time before 8 or 9 games are played overseas. It would likely start with 2 or 3 games and take at least a decade before 8 or 9 are played.
    Expanding the playoffs again means the season will go on well into February with a lot of cold frigid games. It is also probably very likely that byes in the playoffs will end, after all the NFL doesn't make any money on byes and they seem determined to get every penny out of the sport they can milk.
    It is pretty obvious that the rosters will have to be expanded as well as practice squads.
    Last edited by Iamcanadian; 11-29-2009, 01:19 PM.
    And proud of it!!!

I'm not a fan. I like the idea of reducing the preseason to 2 games but I just can't see players staying healthy over 18 weeks of regular season games. Also, bigger rosters will just dilute talent and make the product on the field worse.

Comment

That would be, 28 weeks. This year with the pro-bowl before the SB, the nfl will go 26-27 depending on when how the pre-season starts.

Comment

I'm not a fan. Don't fix what it isn't broken.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
        WHO DAT!

Comment

Originally posted by diabsoule View Post
          Exactly, everyone wants to change the NFL and Im still concerned about changing the college system.

Originally posted by WMD
          Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
          Originally posted by gpngc
          I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.

Comment

This is great for business, awful for the players.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

i hate bye weeks

Comment

I like it. The preseason needs to become shorter....no doubt about that.

After that it's all a matter of opinion. I like having a longer season as it reduces the 7 to 9 win parity that we're accustomed to. The playoffs will be more likely to have the 6 best teams from each conference.

I don't think 2 extra regular season games will drastically change injuries in the league, especially not with 2 bye weeks. The extra bye week could actually lead to a decrease in minor injuries.

The length of the season isn't a problem either....just need to move back some of the scouting events. Prospects will have more time to prepare and us fans will have less downtime in the offseason.

Expanding rosters is something that should be done regardless. There's a good enough pool of players for each team to add a couple. Extra revenue from the extra games will cover it anyway.

Not a fan of a playoff expansion. The current system is perfect.

Not a fan of international expansion (unless it's to Canada). Just don't like it.

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Just so I'm clear, they're getting rid of two games that don't matter, adding two games that would matter, and giving the players more time off during the season as a result? I'm not sure I buy that two more regular season games alone would mean all the difference in the number of injuries. Now, the weather aspect is absolutely true, and if they're also planning to expand the playoffs, this becomes a whole other thing.

Personally, I'm fine with the NFL season being how it is. If it were changed, I'd look for something a bit less dramatic, but I don't really see a need for it.

Comment

Nooooooo not Ladainian's TD record please No.

Comment

Originally posted by diabsoule View Post
                      Unfortunately, it is all about money and the NFL cannot get enough to leave the game alone. This is why they cancelled the CBA, they want to set up a new NFL with a lot more revenue for themselves and a lot less for the players. Nobody really cares about the fans.
                      Last edited by Iamcanadian; 11-29-2009, 03:25 PM.
                      And proud of it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Brent View Post
                        This is great for business, awful for the players.
                        That pretty much sums it up. Probably one of the biggest reasons for even attempting to do this. I don't like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Iamcanadian View Post
                          Unfortunately, it is all about money and the NFL cannot get enough to leave the game alone. This is why they cancelled the CBA, they want to set up a new NFL with a lot more revenue for themselves and a lot less for the players. Nobody really cares about the fans.
                          They care whether the fans will continue to pay money for their product, just like every other business.

Comment

I hate hate hate hate hate hate hate it. If you want to cut down the preseason to 2 games then fine ( I still disagree with that though)
                            but leave it a 16 game season.... I fckng hate Goddell
                            -Boston Red Sox-New England Patriots-Boston Celtics-

Comment

The dictator is at it again. I hate this idea. Do they seriously think that all of the players want to go to Europe to play football? I don't think so.

Sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information