Is Dumervil worth a 1st and a 3rd?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Dumervil worth a 1st and a 3rd?

Just put up on profootballtalk.com about how if there's no new labor deal Dumervil becomes an restricted free agent and with the highest possible tender if you sign him you have to give Denver a 1st and a 3rd. Is he worth that? Plus the money you have to pay him?

Here's the link http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...a-on-dumervil/

I would say no. That's a lot for any player when you include the new contract. You could get a 3-4 OLB with your first, fill another need, and most likely save money doing so.

Comment

Either way, i think Denver matches whatever a team is willing to throw at him. And yes, i think he's worth a first and a third. Third rounders these days don't get you much, and teams that pick in the top ten are scared of the money they have to dish out. Anything after that for a top notch pass rusher/defender, and it's worth it.

Comment

It's an interesting option for teams in need of a pass rusher. The Jared Allen trade was a steal and in retrospect the Chiefs should have gotten more. But I don't think that should stop the Broncos being able to get a 1st and a 3rd for Dumervil who is one of the best pure pass rushers in the NFL.

Comment

The Chiefs got a first and two third round picks with Jared's off the field trouble at the time that is about as much as they could have got.

As for Dumervil I think he would be worth the draft picks and a new deal but Denver would be insane to let him go.

Comment

Originally posted by Splat View Post
            The Chiefs got a first and two third round picks with Jared's off the field trouble at the time that is about as much as they could have got.

As for Dumervil I think he would be worth the draft picks and a new deal but Denver would be insane to let him go.
            Hence the whole 'retrospect'.

I just hope that if such a deal transgresses regarding Dumervil, that people don't compare it to the Allen deal.

Comment

A late 1st and 3rd.

Comment

Given the OLB class this year, yes.

1st and a 3rd for a guaranteed player in the 34 defense versus a potential 34 player in what is an extremely unexciting draft after Jerry hughes at 34 OLB... yea. definitely. But you'd have to give him an ungodly contract for Denver not to match.
                **** her in da *****!

Comment

Proven pass rushers are among the league's highest valued players. I would absolutely give a 1 and a 3 for a guy who I already know is a stud.

Draft picks are only as valuable as what you get out of them. If I need a guy to put the QB on the turf, and Dumervil is available, forget the Draft. Go get me some Elvis.

Let's be honest. That 1st round pick is 50/50 at best. I'll give away a 3rd round pick if it means what I get in exchange for my 1st rounder is a sure thing.

As for the contract, Jared Allen's name shouldn't even come up. Doom's agents will want a contract similar to that of James Harrison and DeMarcus Ware.
                  My sig pic has now come full circle. Lucky me.

No offense, but your Raiders draft sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by tjsunstein View Post
                    I would say no. That's a lot for any player when you include the new contract. You could get a 3-4 OLB with your first, fill another need, and most likely save money doing so.
                    I don't really like that argument when it comes to trading for a player (not only do you give up the picks but you have to sign him), I've heard it a lot but it doesn't make sense to me. It fails to consider that you're going to have to sign the draft pick to a contract, probably comparable to the one you're signing the guy you traded for. Jay Cutler got 5 years and $49.77 million from the Bears. If the Bears had been in a position to grab Stafford (6/$72 million), Sanchez (5/$45-50 million), or Freeman (5/$36 million).

Obviously Cutler hasn't looked good for the Bears and the rookies have looked legit, but hindsight is always 20/20. The Bears got a guy who threw for 4500 yards and went to a pro bowl the year before and paid less than what the Lions did and about equal what the Jets did for guys that never took a snap in the NFL.

sig by BoneKrusher

PACKERS BADGERS BREWERS BUCKS

Comment

Yeah, i know that's always the way i've looked at it. Why risk taking someone in the draft when you can trade for a player that has proven himself in the league to be a top notch producer at his position? Like Abaddon said, i'll gladly throw that third rounder in to assure myself that who i'm getting is legit.

Comment

Hell yes. I can't believe this is an actual question.

Comment

It really depends on how badly the team who is giving up those picks need him. Obviously whoever is looking at signing him would need him, but how badly do they need him in regards to other positions. If they're a good pass rusher away from a dominant defense like the Vikings before Allen then it's definitely worth it. If they're a team in such disarray like the Browns, then they really can't afford to give up picks because one player isn't going to turn things around.
                          "If you have one finger pointing at somebody, you have three pointing towards yourself."
                          ~Nigerian Proverb

Da riddum is too much for you.
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0

Comment

Any team considering taking a pass rusher with their 1st round pick will take a long look at Dumervil. The 3rd is really chump change to get a proven player over a crapshoot prospect.

Dumervil has a good motor, positive attitude and is a great team player - he really fits in well with McD's approach and I would be pretty surprised if they don't get a deal done.

If we're going to lose someone as a RFA, I think Brandon Marshall has to be the most likely suspect.

Comment

Yes. Elvis would love to see Elvis wearing the Elvis.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information