No announcement yet.

Is Darrelle Revis the best in the game?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Revis has made some very nice plays. I've seen a ton of him and he really is just superb. I mean there are the lucky off Smith's leg bounce INT's, but still, many are great plays. His one against NE part 1 was a very nice over the shoulder pick. I mean, dude's a stud, this coming from a Giants and Rutgers homer talking about a Jets player from Pitt...
    We ALL bleed scarlet
    New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
    UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
    Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
    BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

Originally posted by njx9
      Let's take deltha o'neal in 2000 (iirc).
      Every time someone brings up ints as an argument as for who is the best CB I think of this.

Comment

Yes.

1. Revis
        1a. Woodson

And they are close. Woodson may not be in his prime with the potential to get better but the guy is playing lights out right now. Give me my choice of the two for the playoff run and I'll take Woodson. Give me my choice for the playoff run and the future and I'll take Revis.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs

Comment

i'm not suggesting that revis' were bad picks. but let's take deltha o'neal in 2000 (iirc). literally EVERY single int he had was the result of a bad pass, he never had to make a play on the ball. but because he ended up with like, 10 ints, he was suddenly talked about as a "top" CB. in that case, the ints were completely irrelevant in the discussion of his ability, because it took next to no ability to get them.

like i said, i have seen roughly 1.2 quarters of jets football since week one, so i have no idea how "good" revis' picks were. but the idea that they can always even be somewhat relevant is just not true.

I remember that year he had which is a great point in light of using INT's as the base of your argument, just in this case Revis has at least shown he can play great man to man coverage and limit some all-pro WR's like Randy Moss and Andre Johnson with his pure coverage ability. Then when you throw in the INT rate, and how at least some of them are made by him making a great play on the ball in the air I think it's relevant.

I feel like if you can display great coverage ability and limit a great WR, as well as make a play on the ball that should be all taken into account, some DB's don't have the presence or hands to be able to do those types of things outside of just coverage.

That's still a very impressive INT total for Revis though, especially when you consider that teams know how good he is now, he'll have the fluke plays like vs Carolina of course but I have seen a few that show how good of a complete corner he is.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
          I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Originally posted by yo123 View Post
            DRC over Woodson? Ugh. Don't even know where to start. I'm about the defend a Packer, let me get my vomit bag ready.
            Don't be sick that you're able to see football somewhat objectively. Woodson is likely going to win DPOY if he keeps up his play. The funny part is that Woodson is just getting noticed for his play in Green Bay this season. He's been playing great since here got there, yet few people took notice.

Originally posted by FlyingElvis View Post
            Yes.

1. Revis
            1a. Woodson
            Agreed.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
            they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
            Hint:Not the Bears.

Comment

The crazy thing about Revis' ball skills is that there is still tons of room for improvement in that area. He was never heralded as a ball hawk coming out either, and now look at where he is, with five INTs for the second straight year, while maintaining his rep as one of, if not the best, shutdown corners in the league.

Yesterday aside from his one pick he dropped another two that he probably should have taken a better angle to. Fundamentally he is as good as they come; he has a great feel for the position, and knows where his man is at all times, as well as doing an outstanding job of staying in front of him at all times. Some corners decide not to do this in fear of misjudging the ball and getting burned for six. It really is a risky thing to do if you do not have great anticipation skills.

Everyone likes to bring up his dominance in man coverage, but I have seen him diagnose plays better than just about every other DB in zone coverage, and seemingly knock down pass after pass, too, like a safety would. Evidenced by his league-leading 23 passes defended (next closest player is Leon Hall with 17).

I have watched many Jets games this season (I am a huge Mark Sanchez guy, of course), and I am a Raiders fan, but based off this year’s play alone I would have to give Revis the honor of top corner in the league. There really is not a flaw to his game right now, and he has had immediate success at one of the toughest positions to master in football, especially with all the rules changes over the years that have shifted in favor of the offense.

Revis is without a doubt a blue-chip player anyone would love to build their organization around. Great character also, not much of a talker, and a very humble individual. The sky is the limit.

Comment

i'm not suggesting that revis' were bad picks. but let's take deltha o'neal in 2000 (iirc). literally EVERY single int he had was the result of a bad pass, he never had to make a play on the ball. but because he ended up with like, 10 ints, he was suddenly talked about as a "top" CB. in that case, the ints were completely irrelevant in the discussion of his ability, because it took next to no ability to get them.

like i said, i have seen roughly 1.2 quarters of jets football since week one, so i have no idea how "good" revis' picks were. but the idea that they can always even be somewhat relevant is just not true.
                Reading Deltha's career stats is hilarious. He has a season with 9 picks, a season with 10 picks, and three seasons with just one.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
                do i tell you when to flip the burger?

Comment

I think it's nearly impossible to rank corners. So many other variables come into play. Scheme, pass rush, safety help, and even who the other corner is all have huge impacts.

And then there's the question of what you want from a corner. Revis is certainly more of a playmaker than Aso, but one can still make the argument that Aso more consistently shuts down his guy.

But I will say that Aso, Revis, and Woodson are clearly the top 3 in the game.

<@JBond> And Dg, you'd waste it on corndogs
                  <@JBond> So you get no 5 dollars
                  <+DG> how is buy one get one free wasting?
                  <+njx9> i'm pretty sure your people still eat boots in north korea, bantx. they don't know what vegetables are.

Comment

On another forum I had to read that the reason Revis succeeds is because he is allowed to be illegally physical in his coverage. That he is constantly arm barring, hand fighting and bumping receivers past 5 yards. So blatantly, in fact, that the author claimed that Revis must pay off the referees.

I lul'ed

Comment

Originally posted by phlysac View Post
                      So blatantly, in fact, that the author claimed that Revis must pay off the referees.
                      He is just trying to even the playing field.

Comment

Originally posted by slightlyabroncosfan View Post
                        Andre Goodman is pretty good, man.
                        An interesting story on him. He came to the Dolphins in 06 and for the 06 and 07 season is was an ok corner for us. In the 08 season for the first half of the season or so he played awful and kept getting burnt time after time again. Then during the week of mid season he missed practice cause of family reasons and his teammates and coaches was praying for him and hoping he's ok so obiously it was something that was serious for him and his family. Once he came back after that, he was a whole new guy out there and was starting to play pretty damn well. Probably the best he's ever played and he's continuing to do so for the Broncos. So what ever that family thing was really sparked Goodman and gave him new life out their on the field.

Back to the thread topic, hands down its Revis. He's money out their. I dunno what his contract is and if he's on his rookie deal then its prob up here soon. So if I was the Jets, I would lock him up as soon as I can.

Props to fenikz on the awesome sig

Comment

http://profootballfocus.com/by_posit...=25&numgames=1

revis 43% completion against 11.1 YPC 55.3 QB rating against 11 pass deflections 2 interceptions and 2 touchdowns given up
                          woodson 54% completion against 11.9 YPC 58.5 QB rating against 3 pass deflections 7 interceptions and 2 touchdowns given up

woodson however has 27 stops(solo defensive tackles which constitute an offensive failure) to revis' 10 and 2 sacks, 2 hits, and 5 pressures. charles also has 20 more tackles.

revis holds a slight edge in coverage, but woodson is a better all around player. i would take either one of them.

aso is low from teams completing 19 of 23 passes against him. for comparison revis allowed only 28 of 65 and woodson 29 of 54 passes. but then again teams run on oakland and those passes could have been in easier situations. regardless:stats don't lie.
                          SCA Prowler is my Xbox Live Gamertag
                          Fire Caldwell!!!

Prowler's Newb Guide

Comment

Revis is absolutely disgusting. He shouldn't be allowed in the game. Takes away an entire side of the field for all intensive purposes, and does it in a variety of coverages. Anybody who can make Randy Moss look like a scrub can play on my team. I still love Nnamndi, but Revis shuts people down just as well and is just a flatout player maker as well.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Originally posted by Prowler View Post
                              http://profootballfocus.com/by_posit...=25&numgames=1

revis 43% completion against 11.1 YPC 55.3 QB rating against 11 pass deflections 2 interceptions and 2 touchdowns given up
                              woodson 54% completion against 11.9 YPC 58.5 QB rating against 3 pass deflections 7 interceptions and 2 touchdowns given up

woodson however has 27 stops(solo defensive tackles which constitute an offensive failure) to revis' 10 and 2 sacks, 2 hits, and 5 pressures. charles also has 20 more tackles.

revis holds a slight edge in coverage, but woodson is a better all around player. i would take either one of them.

aso is low from teams completing 19 of 23 passes against him. for comparison revis allowed only 28 of 65 and woodson 29 of 54 passes. but then again teams run on oakland and those passes could have been in easier situations. regardless:stats don't lie.

Stats do lie. That same website has Ray Edwards ranked above Jared Allen, Tramon Williams as the 8th best CB in the league, and Justin Forsett as the 5th best RB. Profootballfocus is garbage.

All three are great, and it's interesting that in Aso's "down year" he's been thrown at 23 times in 11 games.

Comment

Originally posted by yo123 View Post
                                Stats do lie. That same website has Ray Edwards ranked above Jared Allen, Tramon Williams as the 8th best CB in the league, and Justin Forsett as the 5th best RB. Profootballfocus is garbage.

All three are great, and it's interesting that in Aso's "down year" he's been thrown at 23 times in 11 games.
                                You're right. That website is pure crap. Aso is playing like the 41st best CB in the league? Yea, I don't think so.
                                Last edited by Hurricanes25; 12-04-2009, 01:46 PM.

Sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information