Players that re-defined the current game

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by njx9
    dan marino as a mobile qb? um. maybe in comparison to drew bledsoe.
    I think I'd give the mobile QB credit to Randall Cunningham.

Comment

Originally posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
      Dick Nighttrain lane
      yeah, he only completely changed how the rules of the passing game were laid out after he close-lined every receiver in his vicinity.

Comment

Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
        I think I'd give the mobile QB credit to Randall Cunningham.
        fran tarkenton.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
          Anthony Munoz
          Kellen Winslow Sr
          OJ Simpson

Very few modern players (from the 80s up) changed the game really. Believe it or not, as much as we talk about the game changing over the years, it really hasn't changed that much at all.

The only player from the 80s up that changed the game that I can think of off the top of my head were LT and Randy Moss.

Maaaybe Brian Dawkins. If not Dawkins, then Ronnie Lott before him.
          I was gonna say Randy, too. He hasn't necessarily ushered in a new breed of WR, but that's just because no one is on his level athletically, even now that he's gotten older.

Lott or maybe Dawkins is good, too. I'm young so I can't comment on it for sure but I'd imagine before Ronnie Lott there weren't a lot of safeties that were the calibre of the dominant playmaking safeties of today like Ed Reed, Troy Polamalu and Sean Taylor(RIP). Those kind of safeties seem to be almost necessary for a truly dominant defense now. They can do everything out there.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
          Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
          do i tell you when to flip the burger?

Comment

Ty Law and the Pats secondary mugging the Rams in the superbowl?

Comment

Munoz before Pace, I know it seems Homerish but since some non-Bengals fans beat me to it I think I'm in the clear in this one :)

Also, while people are claiming Marino as immobile, when asked "To what do you attribute your success in the NFL to" he was quoted as replying "my feet" (maybe not exact, but very close). When Marino played, pocket awareness wasn't really a term people used at the time. Marino was well aware of the guys around him, the timing it took for guys to get to him and the sounds they were making when close, and used that to his advantage by moving around in the pocket. No, he wasn't fast, but his footwork was amazing, and that's what people mean they say he was "mobile".

Comment

Originally posted by keylime_5 View Post
                fran tarkenton.
                Franie was a great scrambler, Roger Staubach probably introduced athletecism to the position.

Comment

Originally posted by Babylon View Post
                  Roger Staubach probably introduced athletecism to the position.
                  Uhmm....what?

Comment

Originally posted by gsorace View Post
                    Uhmm....what?
                    Am i not speaking english?

Comment

Bernie Kosar for his side arm delivery.

Comment

i'm not sure it's really relevant what "mobility" meant in 198x. just call it pocket awareness and make the more obvious comparisons. suggesting marino had mobility evokes memories of the chad pennington "juke".
                        I don't disagree. I was just trying to translate what people mean by Marino's mobility. I mean, he was mobile, but basically only in the pocket :P The guy had bad knees and was never really a threat to run the ball or even scramble out of the pocket. He did have amazing footwork though.

Comment

They literally had to change pass interference rules for Mel Blount back in the 1970s. I'm not sure if he invented it really but Blount took bump and run coverage to a whole new level to the point where they had to make the illegal contact rule, also known as the "Mel Blount rule."

Comment

Originally posted by Arsenal View Post
                            They literally had to change pass interference rules for Mel Blount back in the 1970s. I'm not sure if he invented it really but Blount took bump and run coverage to a whole new level to the point where they had to make the illegal contact rule, also known as the "Mel Blount rule."
                            And then it went away sorta for a while till they were all like "oh **** gaiz i foundz a rule" and it become known as the Ty Law rule to some fans and the "GODDAMMITWHYCOULDNTYOUHAVECALLEDTHISWHENTHEMOTHER* *****HELDPOLLARD!?!?!?!" rule by Colts fans.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                            Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
                            do i tell you when to flip the burger?

Comment

Bo
                              Deion, or Darrell Green. Plus he played forever
                              Randall McDaniel, freakish guard

Vick looked like he could, he was like Blitz.

I want to say Moss because there were other fast receivers who could outrun any corners, but he could catch 80-100 and get the fades

Kurt Warner, undrafted
                              Gates, power forward - tight end, undrafted

Tomlinson, passed to Ronnie Brown

Vrabel :D

I want to say Jason Taylor, giving 50-100 lbs to OTs but a Top 5 DE for a long time with zero injuries. Could play OLB but not required to.

If Peppers had gotten better then maybe, just a different blend than most DEs. He could run down Vick.
                              Last edited by singe_101; 12-08-2009, 11:36 PM.
                              DeAngelo Hall looks like James Harden.

Comment

Ray Lewis.

sig by fenikz
                                Originally posted by ImBrotherCain
                                You are just a terrible person.
                                Originally posted by bigbluedefense
                                I have an iPhone.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information