Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
    THANK YOU.

As far as re-inventing the TE position, former 1980s Raider Todd Christensen was a dominant receiving TE who just didn't do it long enough to get HOF consideration. Still, he had 3 seasons with over 1000 yards, 2 90 plus catch seasons, a season with over 900 yards receiving and a couple 80 catch years.
    Christensen was the first TE I ever knew of who put up WR numbers at the TE position.

Left Tackles are often compared to Pace because it's a modern reference that many can relate to, but he wasn't better than Ogden or a handful of left tackles that came before him.

Ray Lewis, because of his unreal range at ILB earlier in his career, is the best example I can think of a modern player who really doesn't have many historical peers.

If you truly study the game, see the film and talk to folks who saw some of the greats play in their prime, you begin to realize no matter how much the game has changed, it essentially has stayed the same.

And it's kind of ridiculous to argue that if it wasn't for Shannon Sharpe, there never would have been a Tony Gonzalez.
    Former Oklahoma AA TE and Eagles alltime great Keith Jackson who entered the league a couple years before Sharpe, was the player Sharpe was often compared to in the 90s, except Jackson was bigger, 250#, and faster, 4.5 speed, than Shannon Sharpe.

BTW, this is the first time I've ever heard Marino described as a mobile QB. Great pocket presence and a wickedly quick release, but dude couldn't outrun his own shadow.

As for using stickum, Iamcanadian, the gloves that modern players use today are so 'tacky' they are able to replicate the effect of stickum back in the day.

The biggest difference in the modern NFL and the past is the de-emphasis on the importance of the running game and supremacy of the passing game.

It's so rare to see 4 or five RBs taken in the 1st round, but there used to be a time when it was common place as top RBs were viewed as elite talents necessary to win championships.
    This is a good review but there is no denying that the game has changed considerably. Looking at the players is just a poor way of looking at change in the NFL, they do what their HC's tell them to do. If you want to look at change, there are 2 choices which in a way intermingle with each other.
    1) Rule changes, this is always the main impetus for change as it involves every player affected by the rule change. If they outlaw bump and run past 5 yards, you are going to create a new emphasis on the type of CB coaches will prefer while CB's who could bump and run down the field will become a lessor factor in the game. etc. etc. etc. for every rule change that occurs.
    2) HC's and sometimes OC's and DC's will change their player's style of play and the technique needed to play under the new rule change. Or if a HC creates a whole new offense or defense in the NFL, players will have to change their game to fit in. When HC's brought in the 3-4, it completely changed how we viewed LB's, DE, and DT's, when other HC's brought in the Cover 2 defense, again some positions were redefined, CB's, Safeties, LB's DLmen. Players rarely impact changes in the NFL, rules and new ideas by HC's do. In the old days when say Shula invented the zone defense, it was a major break from the past and created a whole different type of athlete needed to play their positions. Almost every defensive player's responsibilities became redefined.
    Ditto for when Al Davis invented the bump and run in the old AFL and then brought it to the NFL when they merged. He used bump and run down the whole field until it was latter changed to only 5 yards.
    I don't think the young people realize how much change has taken place in the NFL, did you know that there was a time that the rules were far more like rugby rules where our game developed from. Right through the 40's and even in the earlier 50's I believe, RB's could get up after they were tackled and keep running, they had to be completely tackled before the play stopped and totally unable to get up and run again.
    NFL records are a complete joke, not only have the rules changed immensely, the playing surfaces and conditions are nowhere near what they played on in the 50's and 60's. We used to distinguish between a RB who could run in good weather and a RB who could play in the mud much like horse racing does today. Quite of few of the older games were played on surfaces containing a foot of mud with no drainage, a player when tackled could slide for 20 to 40 yards and be covered from head to foot with mud and still play.
    Fans of each era love their own stars rightfully so, and think the records they set make their era's players better than the previous stars from other eras. They don't know how much the game has changed and they don't care. They just look at the numbers and think they know what they are talking about.
    And proud of it!!!

Comment

I am not reading through 5 pages to see if this was brought up but:
      Michael Irvin?
      Reason for the push off rules the NFL has in place today

I PITY THE FOOL WHO DON'T BELIEVE ME
      BK sig is straight sex
      THE Ohio State University Buckeyes
      Baltimore Ravens
      Cleveland Cavaliers
      Cleveland Indians
      Chelsea FC
      Originally posted by keylime_5
      Miller is visual sex on the field.

Comment

Let me make this perfectly clear, I am not calling Marino mobile. I am saying he was a true passing QB. He pushed past Fran Tarkenton's records for passing. (which have now been passed and passed again.)
        **** her in da *****!

Comment

Any1 got a comment for Kellen Winslow Jr ?

My post on him is the last post on page 4
          Jets, Mets, Knicks, and the U's too cool for uze

Sig by, Hitman D

Comment

Any1 got a comment for Kellen Winslow Jr ?
            Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda. Didn't change the game though.

I stand by that the last guy who changed the game was Darren Bennett with the "drop punt" kick. It wasn't some revolutionary change, but it was a new technique/skill that has modified the game ever so slightly by making punters who utilise it more effective at pinning other teams within the 20. He also was the guy who opened the door for Aussie Rules players to head over to the USA and give punting a go.

Props to BK on the sig!

Comment

Working...
            X

Debug Information