Dissecting Dallas' December Slump

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dissecting Dallas' December Slump

What is the real reason or reasons behind this mysterious trend?

Bad Luck?

Tough scheduling?

Health? Injuries? Players broken down?

Mentally weak?

Lack of leadership?

Cold weather?

Other????

The "It happens because it always happens" excuse doesn't cut it enough for me. There has to be a real reason why it happens. I know some of you are brainiacs out there. So what do you think??? Let's get some high level discussion here. If possible...

I wouldnt call it bad luck, that seems to balance itself out. Scheduling is done by the league and good teams get tough schedules, that shouldnt have some adverse effect on their December results.

It usually comes down to leaders not leading or talent may be a little overrated in some cases. I think the Cowboys are a good team but wouldnt put them in with this year's New Orleans, Minnesota and maybe eventually Arizona.

Comment

Originally posted by Babylon View Post
      I wouldnt call it bad luck, that seems to balance itself out. Scheduling is done by the league and good teams get tough schedules, that shouldnt have some adverse effect on their December results.

It usually comes down to leaders not leading or talent may be a little overrated in some cases. I think the Cowboys are a good team but wouldnt put them in with this year's New Orleans, Minnesota and maybe eventually Arizona.
      What about being specific to the Cowboys? Is it Romo? Is it Wade? Both, neither, others?

I mean, you said a lot of "wouldn't"s... but what is it?

Just trying to guage a wider audience's point of view than just asking Cowboys fans in our team forum.

Not trying to compare them to anyone else or say that it won't happen again...

Do you guys think it'll happen again?

Next games... San Diego, @New Orleans, @Washington, Philly

Comment

Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
        What about being specific to the Cowboys? Is it Romo? Is it Wade? Both, neither, others?

I mean, you said a lot of "wouldn't"s... but what is it?

Just trying to guage a wider audience's point of view than just asking Cowboys fans in our team forum.

Not trying to compare them to anyone else or say that it won't happen again...

Do you guys think it'll happen again?

Next games... San Diego, @New Orleans, @Washington, Philly
        Realistically you're looking at splitting the next 4 games which will give them a 10-6 record.

As for what's wrong with the team, probably nothing. I'd dump Wade before i'd dump Romo that's for sure.

Comment

Well in 07 I don't recall the specifics but the division was locked up early and the team dialed it down early, don't remember how soon but I do know that affected at least a few of the games if I'm not mistaken.

The schedule was absolutely brutal last December and this December also, I'd like for someone to find another team who had a tougher stretch then these:

2008:
          @ Pittsburgh
          NYG
          Baltimore
          @ Philly

All of those were hard fought and close except for the excuse of a game in Philly.

2009:
          NYG
          San Diego
          New Orleans
          @ Washington
          Philly

Now anything before that, it's anyones guess honestly. There were more months we were terrible then just December when we didn't have a QB, so people can just look at December, or the big picture. Hard to expect to have a winning record in any month for that huge stretch we were rotating in guys like Chad Hutchinson and Quincy Carter but who knows.

Maybe it is in the players heads, I think it's just losing some tough games to good teams. Be nice to put it behind the team for once, but I'd gladly take a playoff win over having a winning record in December any day.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
          I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

I think the national media tries to oversell the Cowboys talent, so when they lose they canmake it a big drama.

As much as I don't like the Cowboys, the media loves to spin things negatively on them.
            Originally posted by SNIPER26
            fwiw, i amz deunks ofs myt ass. ilo vez drinmoinz befotre i post. wha t a hreat ideas.z.

Comment

Originally posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
              I think the national media tries to oversell the Cowboys talent, so when they lose they canmake it a big drama.

As much as I don't like the Cowboys, the media loves to spin things negatively on them.
              This. It's become a head game with the whole team now.

Comment

On late season collapses like Dallas has been having, it's always on the head coach. It's his job to rally, inspire, get guys focused and that has not been happening the past few seasons in Dallas.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffSamardzijaIRISH View Post
                  On late season collapses like Dallas has been having, it's always on the head coach. It's his job to rally, inspire, get guys focused and that has not been happening the past few seasons in Dallas.
                  Well, I'm pretty sure Wade has uttered the words before... so is it his Game Day attitude? Or the case of the players not listening to him?

Wade did lead this team to a 12-4 season. So... If he did it before, does that mean he's still the problem?

What do you predict this year? Will the slump continue with the Cowboys missing the playoffs?

Comment

When is the last time the Cowboys won a playoff game?

edit: On Dec. 28, 1996, the Cowboys beat the Minnesota Vikings, 40-15, in the wild-card round at Texas Stadium

Last edited by fenikz; 12-08-2009, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fenikz View Post
                      When is the last time the Cowboys won a playoff game?
                      What's the point of that?

Anyways, I can't remember... 13... 14... years ago? We did have a Round 1 Bye when we won the NFC East a couple years ago.

But playoff games are in January anyways...

Comment

Random statistical abnormality. I really doubt it has anything specific to do with the time of the year, particularly because it's a different team every year.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

Well it's not so much a collapse ever as it is I think being a little overrated. Not that they're a bad team. Except for when they are a really awful team and win games 7-6.

Comment

Why can't the answer be that they're just not that good? Since Romo and Wade took over, its like they can never finish the season on a positive note.

I don't like the Cowboys and negativety spews from my mouth when it comes to this team...America's team(eye roll), i don't get it....but they have the talent to be great and they just don't live up to that potential. There has to be a point where you can no longer blame the coach for ending the season terribly and start point the fingers at the players.

Comment

Originally posted by CC.SD View Post
                              Well it's not so much a collapse ever as it is I think being a little overrated. Not that they're a bad team. Except for when they are a really awful team and win games 7-6.
                              But the last time we were that bad was in Bill Parcells' 2nd year. When the Boys went 6-10.

Since then we have gone:

2008: 9-7
                              2007: 13-3
                              2006: 9-7
                              2005: 9-7

Is the December collapse overrated? I get that feeling from the last couple of posts... An anamoly or whatnot.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information