Best Defense in the League?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
    I'd rather look at both categories and see how a team fares in both to get an idea of how good a defense really is.
    That was kind of the idea of this thread. I wanted to see who everyone thought was the Top D in the league right now. Seems like we got a little side-tracked...

Comment

Originally posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
      I know this is going to come off as being a huge homer but here's the Bengals.

PPG - 1st
      YPG - 4th
      Rushing YPG - 1st
      Passing YPG - 12th
      3rd Down % - 1st
      Pass Defenses - 1st
      Sacks - T-10th
      INT's - T-6th

Now, Peko is out probably until the season finale so I'm definitely concerned with how that is going to work out. He's the absolute key to the good run D. I'm afraid Peterson is going to have a game this Sunday.

We're sitting at 9-3 and it's not because of the offense. A lot also has to do with the Ravens/Patriots/Steelers defenses regressing this year.
      I counter with:

PPG - 9th
      YPG - 1st
      Rushing YPG - 4th
      Passing YPG - 3rd
      3rd Down % - T-2nd
      Pass Defenses - T-2nd
      Sacks - T-15th
      INT's - T- 2nd

Both pretty impressive resumes. The Packers have finally opened up their defensive playbook and have been getting more pressure on the QB. Also done with the loss of Al Harris and Aaron Kampman with two rookies starting at OLB. Dom Capers is a genius.

Comment

There is no elite defense to be found. Even those mentioned thus far in this thread have had terrible weeks at times; the Bengals got embarrassed at home by the Texans, the Packers twice were demolished by the Vikings.

I am not sure I have an explanation. Is it parity of talent? A lot of teams have a premier defensive player or two but no stacked units like the great defenses that we've seen earlier this decade. Maybe it is that the offenses have caught up with what defenses are doing now, we are on pace to have the most 300 passing performances ever in a season.

I will say, though, that if Troy Polamalu and Aaron Smith were healthy we would not be having this discussion. The Steelers' defense is immortal with them, fatally exposed without.

Comment

Originally posted by wonderbredd24 View Post
          Much has changed since last year where the top defense won the Superbowl

You're using one statistic in one season that's not over yet and trying to correlate that to being NFL dogma

If a defensive team wins the Superbowl, then what?

Absolutely ********
          Well, when I look at Pittsburgh, Arizona I see 2 franchise QB's, when I look at Eli, I see a franchise QB, ditto for Peyton and Brady. Seems like a pretty strong trend to me. By the way, didn't Eli's last drive win the SB for the Giants oh and Pittsburgh's last drive led by Rothlisberger and Holmes won the Super Bowl for them. H...mmm every strong SB contender this year seems to have a franchise QB and are responsible for that 41-8 record, but you keep going on with your theory that a defensive team alone will win another SB this year.
          And proud of it!!!

Comment

I will definitely agree on there being no dominant defense this year. Mostly because of NE/PIT/BAL falling off. The Bengals getting smoked vs. Houston was because of Peko/Odom getting hurt early, I'm curious to see how they hold up these next few games without Peko. He's just HUGE for our run D. No one gets through the middle with him there, Peterson will be a huge test.

Comment

I'd probably roll with the Jets.

Comment

Originally posted by Splat View Post
                How can PPG be overrated win the whole point is to score as many points as you can and stop the other team from scoring?
                Its not overrated as an overall stat, but when seeing which defense is the best it is because you dont have to score points on the defense. I also think you have to throw average starting field postion in there somewhere.
                RIP Sean Michael Taylor

Comment

Originally posted by njx9
                  at some point, defenses will react and someone will come up with some new way to shut down the top offenses. the nfl will react, etc.
                  That's how it has been for years now. Easy example: Panthers CBs toss around WRs in the playoffs on their way to super bowl, league gets super picky about contact. Your average NFL viewer doesn't want to see great defense, they want to see high scoring games that lack slow periods of play.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Ravens1991 View Post
                    I miss being able to throw the Ravens in this discussion thanks to this man...

They got older & slower, team youth & team speed are major factors that the Ravens seem to have overlooked recently. It happens to the best of them.

I was going to put up the Top 5 in a few categories but I figured it was easier to just get it going with YPG. Here's Top 5 PPG:

1) Cincinnati Bengals - 15.6
                    And that's without sackmaster Antwan Odom who's on IR after leading the league with 5 sacks. Quite a turnaround & accomplishment for a team who's coach was on the hotseat in September, played in the same division as the #1-ranked in the preseason power rankings team, the Steelers whom they've swept, & who had it's top draft pick injured & got no help from him. Lewis is serious Coach ot Yr. material IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Brent View Post
                      That's how it has been for years now. Easy example: Panthers CBs toss around WRs in the playoffs on their way to super bowl, league gets super picky about contact. Your average NFL viewer doesn't want to see great defense, they want to see high scoring games that lack slow periods of play.
                      Yet the Ravens/Steelers games of the last years (this one excluded) must have been about the most phenomenal to watch thanks to the two great defenses going at it.

Comment

Originally posted by LizardState View Post
                        Lewis is serious Coach ot Yr. material IMO.
                        True, but both of those two undefeated teams will have to lose at least one game for him to be even considered.

Comment

YPG is a difficult statistic to look at. Trying to look at any statistic can be a difficult one for determining the Best Defense. If I was looking at Yards, though, I would look at Yards per Play rather than per Game. The Top 9 Ds according to Yards per Play are:-

1 - New York Jets - 4.5
                          2 - Green Bay Packers - 4.6
                          3 - Denver Broncos - 4.6
                          4 - Philadelphia Eagles - 4.7
                          5 - Pittsburgh Steelers - 4.9
                          6 - Cincinnati Bengals - 4.9
                          7 - Indianapolis Colts - 5
                          8 - Washington Redskins - 5.1
                          9 - Baltimore Ravens - 5.1

Not many surprises there.
                          Originally posted by George Carlin

In Football the object is for the Field General to be on target with his aerial assault, riddling the Defence by hitting his Receivers with deadly accuracy, in spite of the Blitz, even if he has to use the Shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing this aerial assault with a sustained ground attack which punches holes in the forward wall of the enemy’s Defensive Line.

In Baseball the object is to go home and be safe.

Comment

Originally posted by njx9
                            dude, the strawman is dead. stop beating it.

who, exactly, was arguing that a franchise qb isn't a key piece for ANY team in contention?

if anything, i'd look closer at this. defenses caught up with offenses for a few years. then the league decided that having indy and new england score 80 points a game was better for the game than having teams like the ravens shut everyone they played out. at some point, defenses will react and someone will come up with some new way to shut down the top offenses. the nfl will react, etc.
                            I quite agree that defenses will react and slowly catch up to offenses and possibly reach a point where they surpass offenses. The NFL has always been quite cyclic.
                            And proud of it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LizardState View Post
                              They got older & slower, team youth & team speed are major factors that the Ravens seem to have overlooked recently. It happens to the best of them.

And that's without sackmaster Antwan Odom who's on IR after leading the league with 5 sacks. Quite a turnaround & accomplishment for a team who's coach was on the hotseat in September, played in the same division as the #1-ranked in the preseason power rankings team, the Steelers whom they've swept, & who had it's top draft pick injured & got no help from him. Lewis is serious Coach ot Yr. material IMO.
                              Did Odom even sack anybody not named Aaron Rodgers...?

Hitman D

"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." - Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by Job View Post
                                True, but both of those two undefeated teams will have to lose at least one game for him to be even considered.
                                Sad but true, Job. I think undefeated teams in the NFL irritate more people than make their fans deliriously happy (the same ones who scream Dynasty! if their team wins > one SB), undefeated teams destroy those parity arguments in the NFL that the drafting order of Worst Drafts 1st is supposed to sustain.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information